Installation of a siphon in a bathroom or kitchen can be carried out by any person who can use a simple tool. To do this, it is not necessary to call the plumbing: the installation of the siphon will take no more than an hour, if you take advantage of the recommendations that will be given below. With their consistent and correct execution, the question of how to install a siphon will disappear by itself.
If the siphon is not correctly installed, you risk flooding your apartment and neighbors' apartment from the bottom.
The modern design of this device is designed for home assembly. Occasionally, a conventional screwdriver and any portable light source can come in handy. How to install the siphon correctly? This procedure involves a lot of operations, including dangerous ones, for example, sludge and faecal water that may be in the sewer pipe are poisonous. And the gases accumulated in the sewer can cause an explosion. Therefore, you need to use latex gloves for work so that no harmful substances enter your skin. You may also need a respirator and an apron. This precaution does not seem superfluous, since many microbes and viruses that are dangerous to human health multiply in the sewer pipes. When dismantling the old siphon, a situation may arise when it collapses (we mean old-type cast iron appliances) and the shrapnel can injure the worker.
Components of the siphon
These devices are made of the following materials:
Connection scheme for the siphon.
- brass (chrome plated);
The first have the lowest price and low hydraulic resistance. They can last up to 5 years if they constantly drain hot water.
Propylene is more durable, and a siphon from it can work up to 15-20 years, but it is more expensive than PVC by 20%. It can be cleaned with a metal cable of small diameter.
The most expensive, but not the most reliable, is a siphon made of brass. It can last up to 40 years with proper care, but when installed, problems can arise which, if you work alone, can not be solved. When installing it, it must be taken into account that it can easily break with a strong impact or fall out of the nozzle.
Therefore, the best option is to buy a siphon from propylene. It can be used in the bathroom and in the kitchen. It is not afraid of hot water and chemically stable, which allows it to be used for the purification of sewage pipes for casting different alkaline compounds. Acid in it can not be poured, otherwise it will fail.
When purchasing the device, do not forget to check its quality and equipment, it includes:
The device is a typical siphon.
- outlet branch pipe;
- metal threaded insert;
- gasket spout of rubber;
- plastic nuts in the caliber of 1.5 or 2 inches;
- rubber cuff, shaped like a cone;
- plastic washer with skirt;
- steel screw (stainless steel);
- plum trim (decorative);
- the spout is made of silicone or special rubber;
- the main body of the siphon;
- O-ring gasket (lower).
Pipes for drainage can be rigid or corrugated. To properly install the siphon, you need to purchase a sealant, preferably silicone. There are other types of siphons, which have a more complex design and more details. But before installing them, it is better to try to install a simple device.
Preparing for installation
Types of siphons.
First you need to remove the old syphon that has become unusable. Then it is necessary to clean the sewer from the sludge. If a plastic device is replaced with a similar one, then there will be no special difficulties. But if the old siphon is made of cast iron and its branch pipe is installed on the cement, then it will be necessary to tinker. For dismantling use a hammer, chisel (chisel). Carefully break off the cement and tear out the entire siphon from the pipe. Too hard to hit is not recommended: cast iron is fragile and can injure hands. After this, it is necessary to clean the sewer pipe from the cement particles, otherwise they will kill the drain hole.
Another difficulty that owners of old Soviet siphons might face. It is possible that it will be made with steel overflow (such devices are rare, but still sometimes come across in old houses), which is welded to the main sewer pipe. In this case, to dismantle the old siphon, you will have to use a Bulgarian or acetylene cutter. After removing it, you need to process the file with a file of the cutoff. If the diameter of the outlet branch pipe of a new siphon is greater (this is rare) than the sewage runoff caliber, they will have to be combined with the help of pieces of a plastic tube. Problems usually do not exist if the apartment has plastic risers for sewage. In this case, the work is much easier: it reduces to a simple replacement of one device by another.
For this room, devices of different types may be needed:
- normal type, for washing;
- with double sink;
- if there is a washing machine and a dishwasher, then for them devices with fittings are produced.
Consider installing a siphon for cleaning. This is done as follows:
- first you need to check the planting in the sink grate;
- if everything is in order, then an installation cuff is inserted into the sewerage pipe, which must be lubricated with a sealant;
- check the docking surface of the thread on the body;
- knife should be removed and cut off the discharge of the drain pipe to the desired size;
- it is cuffed and fixed;
- if the fastening is carried out with the help of a yoke, then tighten the screw with a screwdriver;
- when spouting down on the upper part of the exhaust pipe, it is necessary to put on a square and seal it;
- in the sink a drainage grate is mounted; in the groove of the plug you must put a thin rubber gasket and coat it with a sealant;
- turn the stopper;
- insert a valve (if there is one) in the siphon body outlet;
- the body of the device is connected to the outlet pipe and a conical gasket is fitted with a sealant;
- on the body wrap the side nut;
- install the lower drain plate in the groove of the upper branch pipe, lead to the grate and screw the nut;
- shaking the body of the siphon, tighten all connections;
- all unnecessary for this period of the fitting of the washer, washing machine and dishwasher unit is muffled;
- if the device is double, then the nuts must be wrapped on both knees at once.
Similarly, you can work in the sink of a separate washbasin.
The workflow is as follows:
Scheme of installation dimensions of the siphon for the sink.
- First the overflow is installed, it is better if it is made of a corrugated pipe;
- to install a new device, first put it without sealing - this is necessary to establish the desired length of the pipe;
- put a grid overflow;
- adjust the lengths of the required lengths of pipes and collect the overflow;
- when installing a new siphon with a corrugated pipe, the overflow assembly must be completely assembled and tightened all connections, only the lower end is left free;
- assembly of the device is carried out according to the technique described for the kitchen;
- Conical gaskets should be deployed with a narrow side to the nut;
- complete the plum assembly;
- install a siphon housing;
- Mount output and overflow;
- After 24 hours, fill the bath with water and check the tightness of the joints.
Adaptations, materials and tools
- Siphon made of plastic.
- A hammer.
- Zubilo or stem.
- Silicone sealant.
- Screwdriver and lantern.
- Apron, respirator and gloves.
Siphon - a plumbing device, which is extremely important in modern apartments. Its malfunction can lead to many problems, for example, sewage can go down to neighbors, on the lower floors. Alternatively, a faulty siphon can become a source of infection by viruses of all inhabitants of the apartment, so it must be carefully sealed after installation and checked.