Siphon is designed to ensure that dirty water goes into the sewer. When replacing the sink for beginners, the question arises: how to assemble a siphon for the sink, which is a knee-bent pipe? It is thanks to this bend that an unpleasant smell from the sewage system is practically not felt.
Kinds of sanitary siphons.
The danger is that the sewer pipe will be opened for a while, and the gases in it can be poisonous. Assembly and installation of a siphon for sinks do not require a specific set of tools, and all the necessary materials come with a siphon in the kit. To install, you will need:
The reliability of the siphon design and its service life depend on the material of manufacture and the variety. Depending on the model, the time spent on the installation differs, and its complexity. Basically the siphons are made of plastic and metal. Plastic are more budgetary and easy to install, besides are less susceptible to decay and practically do not retain grease and dirt.
Times when the kitchen was installed exclusively washing, gradually disappear into the past. At present, it is necessary to connect the dishwasher to the sewage system in the kitchen and sometimes a washing machine. Often there are two types of washers, in one part of which dishes are washed, and in the other - vegetables. There are not many types of siphons:
Scheme of siphon device.
- Tube siphon. Reminiscent of corrugated, but more practical. It is a cast-iron or steel pipe bent in a special way. At one end, it is inserted into the socket of the sewer pipe, and the other into the socket of the sink. Disadvantages of this option is that it requires frequent cleaning and takes up a lot of space. Sometimes, for the convenience of cleaning in the pipe, a special hole is made with a lid. They occur as usual, curved in a semicircle, and flat, with a knee of "P" -shaped form.
- Bottle siphon. The most common, resembling a bottle of its shape. Its design contains a flask and a sediment bowl below it. Any small thing dropped into the shell, such as a chain or pendant, is likely to be removed from the lid of the sump. In the sump there is always water, since the outlet pipe is attached to the middle or top of the glass on the side. Water creates a castle with its presence, and in service such a siphon is easier than others. It is removed from the sink, untwisted and then washed every detail, before putting it in place.
- Siphon bellows. Plastic folded pipe, which is zigzaggedly bent to get a water jam in it as a result. This bend is easily fixed with plastic clips. Plus, the assembly of the corrugated siphon is that it is very plastic, bends and stretches in all directions. This is a special plus in cases where you want to move the car wash to another place. But the corrugated surface quickly fills the inside with fat, and this makes the corrugated version short-lived. And with the wrong location of the bend, the gases from the pipes can pass the water stopper and enter the room. Connection of household appliances to such a siphon is impossible, it is not suitable also for sinks with overflow function.
- Double siphon. If the sink has two pallets, then a double siphon is needed for it. They are subdivided into different-level and one-level ones. It is easier to acquire and install such a siphon than two independent ones.
Installation of a dishwasher or a washing machine implies a special design of a siphon with an additional tap on the pipe. There are also siphons with an overflow hole and an autoclave. They are convenient not only for washbasins, in the kitchen there is often a need to fill the sink. For the descent of water, it is sufficient to press a special handle that opens the corresponding opening.
Scheme of connection of a bottle siphon.
If the design is supplied assembled, it is recommended that the installation be dismantled before installation to check the availability of all necessary components and their operability. Particular attention is paid to all threaded connections, on which there should be no chips. Sharp parts and burrs are carefully cut off before final assembly, as they can damage the gaskets. Preliminary preparation requires sewage pipes, which need to be cleaned, and at the end, install rubber gaskets. The bottle-type siphon kit should include:
- receiving branch pipe;
- thick rubber gasket;
- clamping screw;
- fastening nut for screw;
- siphon flask;
- plastic coupling nut;
- conical gaskets;
- branch pipe, drain;
- flat gasket;
- plastic adapter;
- decorative cover for the connection.
If the quality of the siphon parts after their inspection is such that it does not allow a sufficiently tight connection, you can exit the situation with a special sanitary sealant and sealant. The diameter of the siphon sockets differs, and the smaller it is, the smaller the throughput of the sink.
Assembling the siphon
Scheme of siphon assembly.
At purchase it is required to check up a complete set. Then, with the help of appropriate tools, the old construction is dismantled, if this did not happen earlier. To do this, screw the screw inside the sink that connects the siphon outlet with the iron mesh in the sink with a flat screwdriver. The design itself must be carefully held from below to avoid falling. After unscrewing the upper part, the corrugation is to be removed from the sewer and a siphon is collected for the sink and new parts.
In order to assemble the siphon, it is necessary first and foremost to insert a gasket into the groove of the sump and screw it to the proper place from the bottom of the entire structure.
Then take the outlet pipe, and on it in turn put on the coupling nut and the conical gasket, which from the edge of the nozzle should be at a distance of 3-5 cm. Further assembling of the siphon involves inserting the nozzle into the body so that the design has the shape of a bottle. It is impermissible to insert the pipe up to the stop, as this will prevent the water from leaving.
The tightening nut must be tightened by hand. Tools, too, can collect a siphon, but it is very easy to tighten the nut, which then starts to leak or burst. If excessive force is applied during tightening and the nut is turned, this almost always means damage to the gaskets and the leakage of the joint.
Then the siphon for the sink is connected by a corrugated pipe with a sewage tap. The outlet pipe is also equipped with a coupling nut, into which a flat gasket is to be placed.
On the edge of the pipe, a cone gasket is additionally fitted. The pipe inserted into the bend is screwed to the siphon with a nut.
Features of the installation
Connection scheme for the siphon.
A special metal mesh is put into the washout hole of the sink, which must be equipped with each siphon when buying. Under it lay a thin white gasket. If this does not seem to be enough, you can additionally lubricate the joints before packing them in place with a sealant. Next, put a dense rubber gasket 3-5 mm thick. A long metal mounting screw is inserted into the mesh, the spigot is screwed with it. Attraction should be done gradually, with constant control of the entire structure for a distortion.
The position of all hoses after their installation should be monitored and prevent unnatural bends or sharp turns, as this prevents free flow of water.
Observing the height of the installation is key, since the siphon must be located above the sewer pipes. Otherwise, the discharge of water will be problematic. If there are drainage hoses connected to household appliances, they are connected to the siphon.
Better grip is facilitated by the use of clamps, which prevents the pipe from flying under an excessively strong head of water.
Gofra is inserted into the sewer pipe with a rubber cuff on it. After that, the sump turns on the full power of the water pressure and the system is checked for leaks. In any case, it is advisable to put an empty container under the sink at this time, which will avoid wiping leaks from the floor.
They are eliminated when detected by replacing gaskets or leaking parts of the system. Siphon, like other components of the water supply and sewage system, will last much longer if you take care of them and timely eliminate minor defects.