Sewage clogging in the bathroom - a phenomenon quite unpleasant. In this case, the water in the drain goes badly or does not go away at all, resulting in an unpleasant odor from the sewer opening. If you are faced with such a problem, then do not worry and immediately call the masters, since you can remove the unpleasant odor with your own hands, cleaning the siphon under the bathroom or sink. Therefore, further on, we will consider how the siphon is cleaned in the bathroom.
Usually, sewage clogs are localized in the siphon.
Causes of clog formation
Almost always blockage is formed due to violations of the rules of operation of the sewage system. Although all that falls into the drain, it is sometimes difficult to track. The causes of the clogging of the siphon siphon and the bath can be:
- shreds of clothes;
- animal hair;
- small debris;
- incorrect installation of the drain.
All of the above elements lead to the formation in the sewer pipe of dense lumps, which prevent the free passage of sewage through it.
To understand how to clean the siphon, you first need to understand its design. Different models of siphons can differ from each other in the form of nozzles, elements of connection to the sewage system and the method of sealing the joints, but the basic structural elements for all products are the same:
Scheme of mounting the siphon
- Drain neck. It is installed in the drain hole of a bath or a sink and consists of a branch pipe with an extension and an upper part designed in the form of a cup. These elements are interconnected by a screw. For a reliable tightness of this connection, a special gasket is used.
- The overflow neck. Has the same design as the drain. The only difference is a tap for water, which is not straight, but lateral.
- Siphon. Usually it is made in the form of a removable bent pipe, in which water is always present. This allows you to keep an unpleasant smell inside the sewer and not let it into the room. The volume of the water seal is of great importance. The cheaper siphon models for the sink and bath have a small volume, as a result of which a stench can break through the water seal. Therefore, it is recommended to buy products with a volume of at least 400 ml.
- Connecting corrugation. It is designed for draining water from the overflow neck into the siphon. Due to the fact that the working pressure in this area is small, in most cases the corrugation is simply worn on special nozzles without the use of sealing means and additional fasteners.
- The connection for connecting the siphon to the sewage inlet can be flexible or rigid. The first is easier to connect, and the second is more reliable.
Purify the siphon
To date, there are several effective methods of cleaning the siphon in the event of its clogging:
- the use of a plunger;
- application of household chemical products;
- Disassembly of siphon
The most common means for cleaning the blockage is the plunger.
The use of a plunger is one of the simplest methods of combating sewerage pollution. In order to give a positive result, you need to be able to use it correctly. First you need to collect a little water in the sink or bath.
After that, the plunger is installed so that its rubber cap completely blocks the drain hole. Then, moving the handle up and down, it is necessary to make several swinging movements. When moving the plunger upwards, it must not be torn from the surface of the bath or sink. Dropping down, the plunger pumps pressure over the clog, pushing it down the drain pipe. When the cleaning tool is lifted, the pressure decreases, causing the blockage to break apart and rise to the surface, which allows it to be removed by hand.
Scheme of siphon cleaning.
If the bathtub or washbasin is equipped with an overflow opening, then when cleaning the siphon it must be covered with rags or sealed with adhesive tape. By doing this, you will achieve an increase in pressure, which will allow you to deal with the blockage more quickly. If you can not clean the sewer from the first attempt, repeat the procedure several times.
Another effective way to clean the blockage is the use of special chemical liquids such as "Mole". This substance is poured into the drain hole, after which it is necessary to wait for some time, until it splits the contamination. Then hot water is drawn into the bath or sink and its draining is performed.
Do not forget that all cleaning fluids are aggressive substances, so to work with them you need to use personal protective equipment (glasses, gloves, etc.).
If the above methods eliminate the blockage, it is necessary to proceed to the last method - disassembly of the siphon. It should be noted that it is much easier to disassemble a plastic siphon for a bath or a sink than a metal siphon. This is due to the fact that the metal is prone to corrosion, so it is very difficult to untwist the metal connections over time. Therefore, if you have a metal siphon, then it is better to use the services of specialists to clean it.
Before cleaning the siphon, it is necessary to prepare the following tools and materials:
- a container for dirty water;
Cleaning of the siphon begins with the fact that on the floor under the bathtub or sink old rags are laid, which absorb the water well. On top of the rags put a container for water. This is done so that the dirty water does not spill over the floor. After this, unscrew the bolt nut and remove the flask. It is necessary to carry out these works very slowly, otherwise the water from the hydraulic plug will be sprayed. Next, the siphon should be thoroughly washed from inside with warm water, which will remove from it accumulated debris and formed plaque, which is a source of unpleasant odor and bacteria.
After the cleaning of the siphon is completed, it is necessary to assemble it in the reverse order and turn on the water to check the tightness of all connections and fill the water seal with water. If there are no leaks, you can use the bathroom and the sink for its intended purpose.