The bathroom is one of the smallest, but the most important rooms in the house. On her condition and design depends mood, and often health. Alas, the repair of this room is very expensive, in fact, despite its miniature dimensions, it contains many elements, on which the security of tenants directly depends. But with the right approach it is possible to save considerably, it is enough to refuse the finishing of walls with tiles and give preference to plastic (Fig. 1).
Figure 1. To save money, the bathroom can be plastered with plastic panels.
Plastic panels - modern quality, beautiful and budgetary material.
And what is especially nice, it is quite possible to sew the bathroom panels yourself. The main thing is to carefully study the technological process and become acquainted with the intricacies of working with the material.
Figure 2. Combine in a single design can be plastic panels of different widths and shades.
Modern plastic panels are ideal for plating the bathroom. They are resistant to moisture and cleaning agents, which have to be used quite often. In addition, due to the gap between the wall and the plastic itself, you can hide the unpresentable pipes, cables and similar elements that spoil the appearance of the room.
When choosing a material, you first need to pay attention to its width. Narrow plastic panels look quite presentable, but their installation will take quite a long time. It is worth considering that when choosing this type of material waste remains much less. Mount wide panels faster and easier, but you need to know that when you fit there will be quite a lot of scraps. Even a minor error can lead to the replacement of a significant part of the coating.
As for the color scheme, the rules do not differ from the general views on the design of the premises. Light tones visually expand the boundaries of the bathroom, dark - narrowed. All kinds of combinations are original, combining plastic panels of different widths and shades into a single design (Figure 2).
Figure 3. Wooden frame - economical and easy to use.
There are subtleties in the work with plastic.
- After purchasing the material, leave it for a few hours in the bathroom. PVC, from which the panels are made, must be adjusted to the conditions of the new environment, this will not allow it to deform after installation.
- If a towel warmer or other heating element is provided in the bathroom, it is necessary to take care of the heat reflector. With active heat exposure, plastic panels can deform and change color.
- Installation should start at the most noticeable angle. Usually this is the joint of the walls in the left corner, opposite the door. If you have to cut plastic panels, you will always be sure of the ideality of the most conspicuous place.
- It is not necessary to reliably close the joints of pipe joints and other elements that require periodic access (meters). To disguise them, you can use removable panels, the so-called revision doors. In this case, you do not have to dismantle the part of the structure again and again.
- Before proceeding directly to the installation, you should carefully remove the old coating from the walls. This will help to save a few centimeters of the space of the bathroom and will not allow the reproduction of the harmful fungus. In addition, the walls can be treated with a special antiseptic.
Types of roofing
Figure 4. The metal frame is a reliable material that does not rot.
Plastic panels are always attached to a special frame called a crate. If you chose this type of wall decoration and are interested in how to sew a bath, you should know that the crate is 2 kinds and each of them has pros and cons.
- Wooden frame. It is easy to work with, this material is cheaper than a metal crate. But it is worth remembering, wooden bars must be treated with a preservative to avoid the appearance of fungus, because the bathroom has high humidity. Wooden crate is made from a beam section from 10 * 30 mm to 20 * 50 mm. Nail them at a distance of 20-40 cm from each other, depending on the width of the plastic panels. The lower rail must touch the floor, and the upper one must touch the ceiling, this will ensure the rigidity of the structure. Otherwise, the panels will buckle and it will ruin the view of the bathroom. After installing horizontal rails, you can start fixing vertical rails, but you must first mark out the wall. This is done using a building level and a pencil. Fasten the wooden crate with nails or self-tapping screws (Figure 3).
- Metal carcass. This type of substrate is preferable, it is not susceptible to decay and deformation with time. It uses a metal profile for fixing a drywall type CD. To the wall it is fastened according to a scheme analogous to the installation of a wooden crate. For fixation use small self-tapping screws - so-called "fleas" (Fig. 4).
After the crate is mounted, you can proceed directly to the installation of plastic panels.
Figure 5. PVC skirting can be standard or with a cable box.
In order to qualitatively finish the bathroom with plastic panels, you will need:
- plastic panels;
- moldings - accessories that make joints invisible;
- scissors or hacksaw;
- pencil and ruler;
- fasteners: when working with wooden crate - staples, screws or nails, with metal - screws.
The dressing of the bathroom should begin with the installation of fittings and guides, this will hide all joints and possible unevenness of the panels. It is also necessary to prepare a plinth of PVC in advance, it can be standard or with a cable box (Fig. 5).
Figure 6. Finishing the bathroom with plastic panels is cheaper, and the installation of panels is done quickly enough.
The lining of the bathroom is made according to the following scheme, starting from the most noticeable angle. You need to cut the plastic to the required height. Insert the panel into the fasteners and attach it to the crate on the side by means of a screw or staple. The special charm of plating with plastic is that all fasteners will be hidden under the lock fastenings. After installing the first panel, you should continue to work on this scheme in Fig. 6.
After installing each element, you should check the verticality of the structure with the help of a building level, this will allow to perfect the bath at the first attempt.
So, fastening the plastic panels one by one, you will gradually come to the next corner. Chances are great that the remaining plastic will not fit the width. In this case, you need to act according to the following scheme. Carefully measure the width, the material consumption will depend on the layout. Using a ruler and a pencil, mark the cut line and divide the panel with the scissors into 2 parts. Attach the desired part to the wall in a familiar way.
Due to operational subtleties, finishing the bathroom requires additional sealing. This can be done with a simple transparent sealant. After finishing the finishing with plastic, carefully distribute the sealant at the joints and in the joints. This will protect the surface under the plastic from getting wet and forming a fungus.
When the whole wall is ready, you need to pay attention to the place of joining the plastic and metal bath. Do not try to fit materials closely, there must remain a small deformation gap. He will not allow the wall covering of the bathroom to heave up. You can close it with acrylic tape.
To mask the upper joint, it is necessary to use an L-shaped profile. The joint of the wall and the floor does not require overlapping, since a plinth will be installed.
Once you figure out how to trim the bath, you can use the acquired skills all the time. For example, to update any room with plastic panels, because their installation is not complicated. With new skills, renovating the bathroom or any other room will be quick and relatively budgetary.