If the surface of the bath changed color, it became rough, rusty and worn, enameling the bath with your own hands can solve this problem. It will allow you to restore the enamel of the plumbing fixture to a new state, will make it possible to change the color of the bath at the choice of the owner, and also to save the home budget for purchase.
If the bath is rusted and has become rough and worn, its surface can be enameled by hand.
Enamelling of the bath
In domestic conditions, enameling of baths can be performed in several ways, however, the simplest and most affordable option for everyone is the restoration of the bath enamel with liquid acrylic. The process of repairing the bath in this way is simple enough and not labor-consuming, however, tools and suitable material are needed for work.
Before starting the enameling, the bath must be thoroughly cleaned from the old enamel, rust and sanded.
What do you need to have to get started? The master at home will need the following tools:
- High-speed drill, equipped with a polishing shoe. The drill can replace the household polishing machine, equipped with a replaceable circular cloth nozzle.
- Fine-dispersed abrasive powder.
- Sandpaper of various granularity.
- Flask of rust converter. It is better to choose products based on orthophosphoric acid or a mixture of orthophosphoric acid and zinc phosphate.
- Bottle degreaser. Do not replace the degreaser with solvent, since the last reagent leaves a matte film on the surface, which interferes with the process of degreasing the surface.
- Dry, lint-free rags on a woven basis.
- A set of brushes with natural bristles.
- Spray gun (can be the easiest).
- Respirator, rubber or latex gloves.
As a repair composition, it is better to choose acrylic bulk two-component enamel, which includes a semi-finished product of acrylic enamel and a liquid hardener.
Two-component enamel - это новый ремонтный материал, который был специально создан для реставрации ванн.
It is applied in one layer with a brush or by filling. It is safe, odorless and very economical. In addition, it dries quickly enough, suitable for the restoration of bathtubs of any kind and condition, can eliminate large areas of rust, cracks in cast iron, chips and holes.
Two-component enamel очень проста в работе. В отличие от однокомпонентных составов, она может применяться на любых металлических поверхностях. После нанесения быстро полимеризуется и твердеет, после высыхания образует гладкую глянцевую пленку толщиной 4-6 мм, обладающую высокой стойкостью к адгезии, воздействию агрессивных сред и температурным перепадам.
Enamels for baths can be of different colors, the fluidity of the enamel allows it to flow without streaks over the surface of the bath.
Two-component enamel имеет три незаменимых достоинства, которые позволяют эффективно выполнять реставрацию ванн своими руками:
- Excellent viscosity. Ideally matched value of this parameter for two-component enamel allows even a novice to apply an acrylic film 4 mm thick (on the walls of the bathtub) and 6 mm (on its bottom) without much effort.
- Flawless fluidity. The property of fluidity allows the two-component enamel to spread independently over the surface of the bath and lie down in a dense layer, practically devoid of streaks.
- Stretched polymerization. Due to this property of two-component enamel, you can comfortably and safely perform the work on enameling the bath, not beware that the enamel for the bath will quickly solidify and can not spread over the surface.
After a slow curing and hardening, the acrylic film has excellent mechanical and impact strength, far exceeding the strength of the acrylic liner or paintwork surfaces.
Enamel can be applied to the bathroom surface with a brush 4 mm thick on the side parts, 6 mm on the bottom.
To prepare the enamel for work, you should:
- Carefully study the instruction (the recipe for the preparation of enamel) provided by the manufacturer.
- Mix the components of the enamel according to the enclosed recipe.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly with a mixer or drill bit.
- Strain the enamel through a fine sieve.
- Allow the enamel mixture to settle for 1-2 hours to achieve a viscous consistency.
- Stir until smooth before use.
- Enamel can be applied only on the carefully prepared surface of the bath, otherwise the paint will drain to the bottom and it will only be disposed of.
Features of the surface
To prepare the surface of the bath for enameling, you need to do the following procedures:
Two-component enamels are simply poured, spreading, they form an even coating without streaks.
- Wash the bath with a detergent, allow to dry naturally.
- Generously sprinkle the surface of the bath with an abrasive compound and use abrasive paper or grinding wheels, mounted on a drill, to clean the surface of the bath from persistent dirt and worn paint.
- Without gaps, treat areas that are susceptible to corrosion using a rust converter.
- Wait until the end of the reaction and complete drying of the bath.
- Using sandpaper to clean the previously processed rust converter areas, paying special attention to the drain zone.
- Remove the debris and debris with warm water.
- Clean the surface with a degreaser, using a lint-free cloth rag.
- Fill the bath with hot water, let the surface warm up for 10-15 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, drain the water, soak the bath with a lint free cloth, remove the villi and debris with a vacuum cleaner without a nozzle.
At this stage, the bath surface can be considered prepared for enamel.
Principle of operation
Apply enamel to the surface of the bath in a respirator and protective gloves. The technique of applying paint can be completely different, but the classic method is as follows:
The view of the bathroom, after applying the enamel, becomes like a new one.
- The previously prepared enamel composition should be divided into two equal parts.
- Using a wide flat brush, one part of the enamel should be applied to the prepared surface of the bath, starting the work from the sides and moving to its sides.
- After processing the sides of the bath, draw a wide strip from the side to the bottom and distribute the enamel with the brush in the transverse direction (the operation should be repeated until the surface of the bath is completely covered with enamel composition).
- Allow the treated surface to settle for 20-30 minutes.
- On not completely dried surface should be applied a second layer, using the previously described technique of applying enamel.
- Allow the enameled surface to settle for about 15 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, uncover the formed streams, drops and irregularities and remove them by means of a thin flat brush by spreading the drops on the surface of the bath (in this case, the brush is best carried from the top down).
- The treated bath should be left to dry until the enamel is completely cured.
- After the enamel surface has dried completely, it is necessary to fill the bath with hot water from the tap, wash it without detergents, drain the water and wipe it dry with a soft cloth.
- Allow the bath to stand for 8-12 hours, after which the enameling can be considered complete.
If all operations were done according to the instructions, the treated bath will look like a new one.
Enamels "Epoxin" thick two-part enamels, therefore require certain skills when applied.
How to prepare a colored two-component enamel? To make a colored two-component enamel, you should use a special coloring paste of the desired tone. When mixing components, the proportions and the preparation instructions for the formulation should be strictly observed.
Modern manufacturers produce different in density two-component enamels for the restoration of baths. Of those present on the market, there are:
- especially dense two-part enamels;
- enamels of medium density;
- liquid enamels.
Particularly dense two-part enamels, such as "Epoxin 51C" and "Epoxin 51", require certain skills, since the density of the composition makes it difficult to apply it.
The average density of enamels, such as the sets "Svetlana" and "Fantasy" from the company "Random House", are quite simple in work, they allow applying enamel with a brush. Tinted paste can be included to create the desired tone.
Liquid enamels, such as Reaflex-50, produced by the Finnish company Tikkurila, belong to the class of professional compositions, so they require multi-layer application on the completely dried layer and special skills of the master who performs the enameling of the bath.