Drywall in the bathroom is a modern solution for tiling. The use of gypsum boards eliminates a number of additional works: leveling the walls, puttying, grinding.
The advantage of laying tiles on drywall is that there is no need to level the walls.
Advantages of drywall are:
- simplicity of installation;
- good compatibility with other building and finishing materials.
Due to the multifunctionality of this material, it is possible to lay tiles on its surface. However, in this case there is a certain technology.
Tools and materials
Installation of tiles on plasterboard panels is simple, if you adhere to the right technology and quality selection of materials. When the plasterboard is fixed in the bathroom and it remains to decorate the walls with tiles, it is necessary to purchase such building materials as:
- ceramic tile;
- tile adhesive;
- grout for interlacing seams.
Tools for laying tiles.
Ceramic tiles are measured not in pieces, but in square meters. To choose a tile for the bathroom, you must follow these rules:
- The pattern on the tile should not be blurred and blurred. The corresponding lines must be aligned with each other.
- The surface of the tile should be absolutely smooth, without chips and defects. Evenness can be checked if two tiles are applied face-to-face. As a result of the fit there should be no gaps. The angles of ceramic tiles must be straight and without bevels.
- On the reverse side of the tile should be indicated the mark that determines the purpose of the tile: floor or wall. If this is not the case, the ceramic product is of poor quality.
- The hardness of the tile should be at a high level. Determine this parameter can be tapping on the tile. If the sound is deaf, then the product is of low hardness.
The quality of the glue is also of great importance. It can be of three types: elastic adhesive for ceramics in the form of a dry mixture; liquid glue, ready for use; glue on cement basis.
Elastic adhesive can be in the form of a dry mixture, which must be diluted with water, or in the form of a ready-mixed solution.
There is a glue "liquid nails", which is already ready for use. It has good adhesion and ease of use. But such a composition is quite expensive for gluing a large area of material. "Liquid nails" can be used in special cases, when it is necessary to glue a fallen piece of ceramics. Adhesive base of elastic glue should be with increased moisture resistance.
Layout of tiling on the wall.
Dry composition on a cement base is designed to come into contact with the paper base of gypsum board. This is the most acceptable and economical option.
To work you will need tools such as:
- tile cutting machine;
- ribbed and even spatulas;
- mixer for glue;
- plastic crosses for stitching;
- paint roller.
Step-by-step instruction of laying tiles on plasterboard in the bathroom is as follows:
- Putty on the surface.
- Necessary calculations and measurements.
- Fastening of the bottom guide.
- Preparation of glue if it is a dry mix.
- Installation of tiles.
- Grout joints.
Putty plasterboard is needed at the joints, so that the surface becomes uniform and even. At first, the spatula is closed with cracks between the sheets, then a reinforcing tape is applied, and a layer of putty is applied over it again. After drying, the joint must be treated with sandpaper and another layer of satengypse.
Scheme drywall sheet.
For good adhesion of materials, the surface of gypsum board must be primed in two layers. To do this, use a special solution compatible with tile glue.
To determine the order of the masonry, you need to calculate the number of tiles that will fit in one row of the wall. In the calculation it is necessary to take into account interlace sutures.
In the course of calculations, it is very rare to obtain an integer number of tiles in one row, usually the series ends with half or part of the width of the whole product. If the row ends more than ½ the width of the tile, then the masonry must be started from the visible side of the room. Otherwise, it's better to put the tile from the center.
Further, using the building level, the bottom line of the masonry is determined and a bar is attached along it. If the floor is uneven, then the masonry should be started from the second row, respectively, by attaching the rail at this level.
Glue to prepare it is necessary according to the instruction. Normally, water is added to the mixture and mixed with a mixer to the desired concentration. A lot of solution should not be cooked, as it very quickly freezes. It is better to cook in small portions, with a calculation for 1 square meter.
So, the clutch of the initial row starts from the edge or from the center, as was defined at the beginning. A flat spatula is applied to the tiles with the prepared glue, and a trowel spreads the solution over the entire surface of the tile. Then tile is attached to the surface, pressing it lightly. The next tile can be placed upwards or to the right or left relative to the first, attaching plastic remote crosses to the edges. Thus put the subsequent products.
At the end of the process, use a damp cloth to remove any remaining solution. When the work is finished, you can start grouting the seams. To ensure a good protection against moisture, the seams are covered with a sealant.
For bathroom it is necessary to choose a material of increased moisture resistance.
If the room is finished with ordinary plasterboard, then under it it is necessary to lay guiding bars with a step of 40 cm.
On the slats, the sheets are fixed with a stapler and self-tapping screws. Instead of laths, sometimes a plaster grid is mounted, which prevents swelling and deformation of gypsum boards.
There are certain nuances that provide the best result of finishing gypsum plasterboard tiles:
- The interval between application of primer layers should be at least 1 hour.
- The glue must have a consistency of sour cream.
- To mount a large tile use a special hammer, equipped with rubber pads.
- You can not revet the bathroom in one day. The optimum option is a five-row brickwork with an interval of one hour. This avoids deformation and relieves stress at the base.
- After the surface is finished, the surface must be allowed to dry for at least 24 hours, and then the seams are to be rubbed.
- Upon termination of work in the bathroom additional decorative elements are attached: corners, plinths. If you need to screw in the tile, it is treated with a special sealant to prevent moisture from entering through the hole.
Facing tiles on plasterboard has a simple technology. If the work is done well, then the bathroom will please its owners for a long time.