To date, laminate flooring is one of the most popular floor coverings. It is quite expensive, so it is very insulting when the newly laid coating begins to creak, swell or crack. The main cause of this situation may be uneven ground. Therefore, you need to know how to level the floor under the laminate.
For high-quality laminate laying, it is necessary to level the surface well.
Reason under laminate
Floor scheme for laminate.
As practice shows, the basis for laying a laminate coating should be aligned almost always. The main reason for this lies in the properties of the finest material. Laminate, laid on an uneven floor, eventually loses its useful properties:
- under the weight of furniture or a person, the sheets begin to sag;
- Seams between sheets can disperse, as a result of which moisture will penetrate under the coating;
- under the influence of increased load, the lock joint can loosen and crack.
When comparing a laminate with a parquet, the advantage will be on the side of the second facing material, because the parquet board can smooth out small irregularities of the base due to possible deformation, which can not be said about the laminate. Thus, the leveling of the floor under the laminate must be carried out without fail.
A special self-leveling mixture will help to quickly and easily level the concrete floor.
The most popular basis for the floor is concrete. Very often on it you can see the following defects:
- crumbled areas;
- elevation differences.
Considering how to level the floor of concrete, you need to take into account that there are several ways to perform this operation. For example, you can make a cement-sand screed. If the base is more or less even, you can make a partial repair by covering all the chips and cracks. You can also use a self-leveling mixture that allows you to quickly and easily solve all the problems of uneven sex. Next, the main methods of preparing the floor for laying the laminate will be discussed.
To eliminate large irregularities in the concrete base, the best option is to use a cement-sand screed. To do this, you can use the following tools and materials:
To level the floor you will need: a level, a spatula, a drill with a mixing head and a mixing container.
- electric drill with a nozzle for mixing the solution;
- batching vessel;
- a deep penetration primer;
- cement of the brand M400;
Before the beginning of the main work, the concrete surface is thoroughly cleaned of old coating, debris and dust. If the old paint remains on the floor, then it must be removed with a solvent. After that, all chips and cracks are filled with cement mortar, and large influxes are knocked down by a perforator.
Further, the entire floor surface is treated with a deep penetration primer. This will not only increase the adhesion of the screed, but also reduce its consumption. Then, the level of the future basis for which the pilot beacons are exposed is determined.
After the preparatory work, you can proceed to a mixture of cement-sand mortar in the ratio of cement grade M400 to sand 1: 4. The mixture should not be liquid to prevent its premature spreading. Next, the floor is filled with a mixture and aligned with the rails using the rule. After the solution has dried, you can proceed with the installation of the laminate.
If the surface for laying the laminate has a height difference of up to 5 mm, then in this case a good solution will be to use a self-leveling mixture.
The main advantage of self-leveling floors is quick and easy installation, which everyone can handle. Installation of the floor is done in stages:
With floor irregularities up to 5 mm, a self-leveling mixture can be used.
- The floor is cleaned of old coatings, debris and dust.
- The chips and cracks are filled with a mounting glue or a cement mixture.
- The base is treated with a deep penetration primer.
- A self-leveling solution is prepared. To do this, you can use the instruction, which is placed on the package from under the dry mixture. First, water is poured into the container, and then powder is poured. For kneading, you can use an electric drill with a mixer attachment.
- The prepared solution pours out onto the floor surface. If it has a point placed above the others, the filling should begin from it. To help fill the floor evenly spread over the entire base, you can use a spatula. To squeeze out air bubbles in solution, you need to take a studded plastic roller and walk them through the poured solution. This will make the floor under the laminate more smooth and durable.
- After the mixture dries, you can begin to mount the laminate.
If you are going to lay a laminate on a wooden floor, use a backing.
The choice of the method of leveling the wooden floor for the laminate will depend on the state in which the base resides.
Small irregularities. If the surface has irregularities of up to 5 mm, and the boards are in good condition, then the floor leveling for the laminate will be quite simple. It is necessary to tighten the boards along the logs with self-tapping screws 6-8 cm long. You can use a screwdriver for this. For laying a laminate coating on a wooden base, it is recommended to use a substrate. Its thickness is chosen depending on the value of the difference in the height of the floor.
Of cheap materials for the substrate can be used isolone. Slightly high cost has a cork substrate, but with it you can provide better rigidity of the base. Another positive aspect of the cork material is excellent sound and heat insulation.
Large irregularities. If the unevenness of the base reaches a value of up to 10 mm, then a cycle is used to control them. To do this you need:
- drown the hats of self-tapping screws and nails for at least 4-6 mm into the wood, as the cutting element of the electric gun can be damaged by protruding metal objects;
- to stretch boards on logs with self-tapping screws;
- perform cycling, periodically checking the evenness of the base level.
Large irregularities, rotten boards. How to level the floor in this case? If the wood begins to rot, then no alignment here will help. In this case, you can do the following:
- Dismantle boards and logs. After this, pour the screed with the reinforced mesh over the expanded clay padding. After it has dried, you can proceed to laying the laminate coating.
- Remove the boards, and leave the lags. On the logs are laid OSP or plywood thickness of at least 2 cm.
If to level the floor you will come with all responsibility, accurately following the technology of work, then you can be sure that the laminated coating will last for many years. Such a floor in the process of exploitation will not creak, it will be pleasant to walk on it.