After the completion of major repairs in the bathroom, most people are wondering about what to cover the side surface of the bath. The answer is simple: make the screen itself under the bath, which also serves as a decorative decoration for the entire room.
Scheme of mounting the screen under the bath.
In order to make the screen itself, it is initially necessary to determine the main material for this kind of finishing work. After all, this will determine the nature of subsequent construction operations.
The question of how to make a screen a bath is always reduced to the execution of the frame. After all, for the most part it is he who will keep the decorative material from which the screen is made.
Scheme selection of the screen configuration for the bath.
- It is necessary to work on joining four small length bars and metal corners using fasteners (screws). In this case, it is necessary to strictly control the location of horizontal racks among vertical ones.
- In racks, which will later be fixed to the surface of the wall, it is necessary to drill two holes.
- Next, the frame is attached to the wall surface, namely to the rail. In this case, the mount is selected, taking into account the main material, from which the screen under the bath will be executed.
- Identical work is done to attach a long frame to the second wall surface.
- If additional racks are pre-prepared, they should be screwed to the frame before it is attached to the wall.
- By joining the resulting frames, a finished frame is formed.
To achieve maximum rigidity of the resulting screen, it must be attached not only to the wall, but also to the floor surface.
Scheme of assembling the screen on the legs under the bath with your hands.
Modern construction stores offer a wide range of ready-made screens, but most often their difference is only in the decorative design. As for the parameters of such a building element, they are not so great. Therefore, finding the option that will fit perfectly into your interior is not so easy.
It is possible to perform the screen under the bath with no special effort. In this case, such an element will be the necessary dimensions and adjusted to the specific elements of sanitary ware.
The most common options are:
- Plasterboard screen.
- Pazogrebnevy screen.
- The screen is made of ceramic tiles.
- The screen is made of PVC panels.
- Screen of sliding type from pre-prepared parts.
In order to make a gypsum plasterboard under your own bathroom, it is recommended to pre-assemble the frame.
In doing so, you need to prepare the wood bars, screws for fixing and corners of metal.
Scheme of installing gypsum plasterboard for fixing the screen.
- First you need to make a markup. This is done by plotting points using a plumb line. After their connection, lines from the corners of the bath to the floor surface are obtained.
- Then it is necessary to retreat another 2.5 cm from the drawn lines inside the bath and draw parallels. As a result, you will get two lines on each wall.
- In exactly the same way, it is necessary to mark points on the floor.
- The plumb line is applied to the corner of the bath that does not contact the wall, and a dot is marked on the floor. It will become the top of the newly formed square with a side of 2.5 cm, facing the inside of the bath.
- All points on the floor are connected (one from the outer corner and two on the walls).
Further it is recommended to prepare the slats from the wood bars. They need a certain amount, namely:
- Measuring the distance from the floor surface and to the bottom edge of the bath, you will know the length of the rail for the vertical side of the frame structure. They must be made in the number of four pieces.
- Then it is worth making two slats for the horizontal side of the frame on the smaller edge of the bath.
- It is also necessary to make racks in the number of two pieces for the horizontal side of the frame, only from the larger edge of the bath.
- If your bath is large, it is recommended to additionally make a couple more vertical racks.
Advantages and disadvantages
Scheme curvilinear screen under the bath.
The screen for a bath of tiles has distinctive features. That is why special attention should be paid to choosing the right ceramics to create the entire decorative design. Since the decoration with the help of compact tiles looks much more profitable and spectacular, it is best to use elements of small or medium format, for example, 10x10 or 15x15.
The screen for a bath in the form of a mosaic will look beautiful. But this is in the absence of roundness and bends, if the edges are strictly level. When the bath is oval and semicircular, experts recommend using ready-made hotel decor elements from ceramics or lay out the mosaic on a special basis from the building mesh. It perfectly lays on almost any uneven surface.
Such a screen under the bathroom of the tiles will not only decorate the entire room, but also be able to perform a number of functional tasks. If you compare the finish of ceramic tiles with other similar screen options, it looks rich and effective. Ceramics is all competition. It is beautiful, practical and textured.
The surface of such a screen is very simple and undemanding in maintenance, since any dirt can easily be eliminated by wet cleaning. In addition, ceramic tiles are not afraid of chemical cleaning agents and moisture, which is constantly present in the room. On the surface of such a ceramic bath screen, mold and yellow spots will never appear. Therefore, you can swim without worrying about the state of the appearance of your bathroom.
The option of facing the ceramic tiles of the front side of the bath and the walls of the bathroom with a hidden pipeline.
In contrast to the screen, based on MDF, this option is much more expensive for the owners of the apartment. But if you pay attention to the durability and the beautiful appearance of the whole design, then this is an insignificant drawback.
Making a screen for a bath of tiles is more difficult than using an already prepared panel. Therefore, such work is subject only to the present pros. Considering the fact that the screen, laid out with tiles, will always be in the center of attention, all work should be carried out without a single mistake. Otherwise, the end result will be completely spoiled.
Almost any person can make a simple screen shape for a bath. And even in the future lay out the ceramic tiles for decoration. But it's impossible to produce the complex shape of the bathroom with your own hands and perform all the tile work correctly without having the appropriate building experience.
In the event of an accident, the presence of this kind of screen will become an obstacle to the solution of the problem. Therefore, to perform such a screen under a bath of tiles is only when all the sewer and water pipes in excellent condition. When doubts arise about their quality, it is better to replace such elements with new ones. Experts recommend that in such a case the screen under the bath should be supplemented with at least two rubber hatches, since with their help you can easily reach all pipes in the future.
Execution of ceramics
The order of laying ceramic tiles.
Lay out individual elements of ceramic tiles only on a previously prepared surface that meets all the requirements of rigidity and strength. In this case, the structure should not change its shape under the action of the decor and be susceptible to moisture.
Specialists recommend the frame of such a screen to perform only on the basis of a metal galvanized profile, on which a moisture-resistant gypsum board will be attached in the future. You can make a frame of brick or foam blocks, but these works require additional plastering.
Modern manufacturers have come up with such specialized frames on the basis of foam plastic, which have a high density. On their surface can easily lay out ceramic tile and mosaic, without worrying about that the design will collapse.
Stages of laying
- The first unit of ceramic tile is laid out in the upper left corner and is further leveled using the building level.
- Thanks to special crosses, you can control the distance between the tiles.
- If the project provides hatches, then on their surface it is recommended to lay out individual tiles, because only in this way it will be possible to open them later.
- After performing the work on mashing the seams, the screen under the ceramic tile bath is considered to be completed.
In the case when the screen will have large dimensions or if a heavy kind of ceramics is chosen for the cladding, experts recommend using not wooden blocks but ceiling guides as a frame. The process of further creating a common framework is identical to the above.
The most popular option for making a substrate for a screen is considered to be gypsum board construction. Mounting works in this case are as simple and clean as possible, and dismantling is carried out in a matter of minutes, if necessary.
Particular attention is paid to the processing of the entire surface of gypsum board and its joints with a means to obtain a high level of waterproofing. If you decide to make a screen for your bath in a round or oval shape, we recommend the use of waterproof polystyrene, as its plates have various dimensions and thickness.
Instructions for attaching the end shield to the bath.
- Even at the stage of planning the screen under the bath it is worth considering the presence of a special niche or a slope under your feet. This niche will be a good helper for the housewives, who often wash themselves and for mothers who quite often wash their children. This question can also be approached from the other side. For example, a substrate made of gypsum boards is recommended to be laid at an angle of 45 degrees. In this case, you can easily approach the edge of the bathtub very easily.
- In the course of installation work on fixing individual parts of gypsum boards all joints must be securely connected. Further, the basis of gypsum board is recommended to be made perfectly flat for subsequent decoration with ceramic tiles. The result depends entirely on the quality of each individual stage of the screen manufacturing under the bath.
- The installation of ceramic tile or mosaic is only possible with the help of high-quality modern glue or liquid nails. It is important to take into account the recommendations of the manufacturer of the tile itself, as they always indicate the composition of the glue that is most suitable for fastening.
Doing your own screen for a bath is not so difficult, as it seems at first glance. It is only necessary to be guided by the recommendations of specialists and responsibly carry out all construction work.