Any fan of design knows that sliding curtains are one of the most accessible ways to change the interior and make the bathroom safe and comfortable. They not only effectively limit the shower space and prevent the spraying of water, but can instantly soften the bathroom environment, make it bright and memorable, and introduce expressive artistic effects into the most familiar functional objects.
Sliding curtains for the bathroom prevent water from splashing.
It is necessary to consider the novelties that appeared in the section of sanitary accessories. What should an electoral buyer look for? How can he change the interior without spending a lot of money?
Purchase and installation
Diagram of the eaves fixing assembly.
Despite the fact that the market of sanitary ware has changed greatly in recent years, the principle of installing a shower curtain remains the same as it was 20-30 years ago. As a supporting structure for it is a classic, time-tested cornice. The cornice can look like a smooth pipe structure or be made of a strip or string and fastened to both the ceiling and the walls.
The most simple and affordable for buyers is a cornice in the form of a round or oval pipe. It is easy to install, can be matched for a bath of any configuration, and if desired - made at home from any chrome or polished pipe.
The principle of installation of such a cornice is very simple. The telescopic tube is pierced with its ends into opposite walls of the room, then it is fixed tightly to the ends of the walls by means of a clamping spring or threaded joint. Later, with the help of hooks or clamps, it allows any flexible sliding curtains to be attached to its structure.
Scheme of a telescopic sliding door for a bath.
Protective curtains for the bathroom today are produced from:
- woven materials (cotton, linen, silk and other cloths having hydrophobic impregnation and capable of repelling water);
- opaque, tempered, safe to use glass;
- glossy and matte dense plastic;
- soft dense polyester, vinyl and polyethylene;
These are the most common materials from which a curtain can be made. However, if you decide to make this accessory with your own hands, then your design fantasies can be more exotic. With a variety of finishing materials for the bathroom, you can express your own personality and, for example, pick up a brush, apply a landscape to the factory curtain, use a ready-made sticker and perform an application on the finished curtain. Your imaginations can be limited only by the possibilities of your wallet, but not by the assortment of stores.
Among the variety of products, particular attention is paid to the installation options for curtains from tempered glass. This design of glass - a real godsend for economical housewives. It gives the sanity a solidity, can serve for several decades and, with proper care, will remain its airiness and working functions for a long time.
Curtains for a bathroom made of tempered glass can make a leak-proof hydraulic box from the bathing tank, replacing the showery roomy cabin.
The principle of opening the curtain of the compartment.
In this case, the panel of the glass curtain is fixed to the three walls of the bathroom, and the sliding curtains for the bathroom are selected according to the type and size of the bathtub.
Manufacturers today produce curtains in several accommodation options for various bath designs. Therefore, the sliding curtain can be:
- rectangular (with two front sliding panels);
- Angular (with one retractable and one fixed panel);
- team (with two movable and two side fixed panels);
- Curved (with panels of any type).
Another sliding curtain can be:
Sliding curtains are mounted with the help of upper and lower guides. The upper design of the guide is fixed on vertical profiles fixed on the walls of the bathroom (approximately at an altitude of 1.2 -1.4 m). The lower one, as a rule, is installed on the rim or the box of the bath.
Movable shutter panels are attached to the upper profile and move along it with the help of rollers. The lower part of the curtain panel may or may not have rollers. In the absence of rollers, it will be held by the walls of the guide.
The glass curtain is conveniently installed in the bathrooms, where the bath is placed between the walls and does not have free space.
If the bath is not close to the surface of the walls, you can use a hybrid version of the installation of curtains, namely to mount a fixed end wall from a single curtain sheet, and for the front surface to use sliding double, triple or multi-panel curtains.
The most popular material for making curtains for the bathroom is tempered glass.
Before making a final decision on the installation of rigid sliding structures, the structure of the existing bathroom should be well studied. Most often, especially in houses of the old layout, the bathroom has a compact size, so in it the existing mixer serves both for filling the bathroom and for operating the sink. In this case, the installation of a rigid curtain can make the bathroom not working or will require the installation of hotel mixers for the washbasin and the bathroom.
Curtains from glass
Scheme of the angular bar for the curtains in the bathroom.
There are various options for installing a glass curtain: stationary, retractable and angled.
The listed variants of curtains can have a different surface:
- ground single color;
- corrugated or corrugated;
- with a print.
Each type of curtain has its own installation features:
- Stationary curtain. This type of blind is installed on the wall surface and the side of the bathroom. In this case, a strong protective plane is created, which protects the bath from the inside, but does not guarantee that the spray of water does not fall on the floor and the toilet facilities.
- Retractable curtain. This type of curtain design is very similar to a folding curtain, but is represented by one panel. The sliding curtain is mounted in the same way as the folding curtain, and has the same limitations. Its drawback is that it requires a long distance to seal against the wall. Advantageously, it can be said that the curtain hinges withstand the load of only one web, respectively, they are less worn out than two-lap, three-lane and multilayer structures.
- Corner curtain. This type of curtain is used in the bathroom when the bath is adjacent to the joint of two walls, more precisely, one of the ends of the bath remains free. With this configuration, as a rule, an option is selected where the long side of the bath is covered by a continuous skin, and in a free end equal to the width of the bath, a door is installed, which can be represented by a single-walled, double-lap or multi-lap curtain. In the case of a multilayer version of the end, one of the flaps can be fixed permanently, while others - have a sliding or door opening. Angle installation curtains are often used in acrylic bathrooms. A variant of such installation is the case where the shutters do not cover the whole volume of the bathroom, but only a part adjacent to the mixer and the place of fixing the shower.
Nuances of installation
The installation of any curtain depends on the type and design of the curtain itself. However, all types of existing curtains are fixed on the edge of the bathroom. Most of the fastening is done using self-tapping screws.
In this regard, acrylic standard baths of simple configuration benefit, since holes are easily made in them, which are not afraid of water and corrosion.
Holes for fastening the blinds are drilled in accordance with the recommended instructions supplied by the manufacturer. However, usually the profiles to the walls and edges of the bathroom are initially applied, then mark in place, then fixed with screws or decorative screws. The holes are best made with a sharp drill of smaller diameter, and then screw in the fasteners.
When the profile is firmly bolted to the wall and the edges of the bathroom, it must be adjusted with the adjusting screw. In the adjusted grooves of the profile, doors and panels are installed. Movable structures are put in working position, corresponding to the configuration of the bath.