In the finishing works in the bathroom usually appears tiles. Rarely when you meet on the walls wallpaper, even if it is moisture resistant. As for the floor, then you can still use linoleum.
Due to wear resistance and moisture resistance, the tile is used to finish the bathroom.
Before you put the tile yourself, you should tell why this material is preferable in the bathroom.
In favor of the choice of this material will say the following points:
- high level of abrasion resistance, which makes the tile topical for facing not only the walls, but also the floor covering;
- moisture and vapor resistance. He is not afraid of sudden temperature changes, as well as water on the surface. For the same reason, tiles are often used in the design of pools;
- long service life. If you lay out the walls and the floor in the bathroom with tiles, then you can forget about repairs for several decades;
- wide choose. There are no problems in the selection of both colors and textures.
But in this barrel of honey there is also a spoonful of tar. Put the tiles in the bathroom with their own hands flies in a pretty penny. And this is without saying how much such a job would cost, turn to the construction team for help. But if you take it for yourself, you can save.
Ways of laying
Scheme laying tiles: a - diagonal, b - basic, c - unravel.
Before you start to think about the method of laying, you need to know the parameters of the working surface, for which the measurements are made. Based on the figures obtained, the area is calculated. This is necessary for the purchase of material, as it is sold in sq.m. It is best if the tiles acquire interest by 5-7 more than calculated, because when a layman works, material damage often occurs.
After the area is known, it is necessary to decide on the method, since it will also affect the number of tiles. To date, there are the following:
All laying follows one direction: horizontal or vertical. If the tiles are laid for the first time, this is the best method to use. This method is also recommended for those rooms where low ceilings. And it is desirable to take a high rectangular shape, which will visually "lift" the ceiling.
It is best to use it if the bathroom has a square shape. This method allows you to visually straighten the slanting walls. But then immediately it is worth mentioning that without experience with him can not cope.
- Chess pattern.
In this way, many bathrooms were made in Soviet times. It uses a tile of two different colors.
It is similar to brickwork, when the next row has a displacement to the side. They can draw rectangular rooms. In this method, it is best to use a rectangular tile, with the dimensions of its sides should have a ratio of 2 to 1, for example 60x30 cm.
This method will require a certain skill. Of course, with the help of it you can create a truly exclusive design, as in the process involve not only colorful elements, but also different shapes.
Most often, the chess layout is made up of floors.
As soon as the method is defined, it is worth moving to the layout of the bathroom. Before you put the tile, you should make a pencil line in the pencil. At the same stage, it is necessary to designate the location of the curbs, inserts and other similar parts.
Ideally, if in the interfaces of surfaces it will be possible to avoid narrow sections, in order to cut the tiles to a minimum.
Now you can calculate the final amount of working material.
Materials and Tools
Any construction work is carried out only with the help of special tools. Although some parts can still be replaced. In this case, you can not do without:
- glue (but you should buy only one that is designed specifically for tiles);
- Grout for joints;
- containers for glutinous solution;
- drill + nozzle for mixing mortar;
- building level;
- a notched trowel;
- sponges, in order to be able to eliminate excess glue;
- tile cutters, but as an alternative, the Bulgar is also suitable;
- corundum bar for grinding the edges of tiles;
- beacons in the form of plastic crosses.
Tools for laying tiles.
Before laying the tiles with your own hands, the surface of the walls must be prepared. On how conscientiously to treat this moment, it will directly depend on how long the new tile on the walls will last.
First of all, you should get rid of the old layers of coatings. Do not neglect a thorough sweep, even if it takes a long time. The resulting surface must be cleaned and degreased.
After this, it is necessary to ascertain the verticality, for which the building level is used. This moment can also be checked with a plumb line. In most cases, there is a need to level the wall, so for this you need to prepare a plaster mixture. After the alignment works are finished, the surfaces should "rest" for 10-14 days, so that the whole layer is thoroughly dried.
One of the most important moments in the preparatory stage is the priming of the wall.
Many people forget about this. Such a coating will provide additional cleaning from dirt, in addition, the ground fills all pores and microcracks on the surface, which contributes to a more reliable adhesion of the adhesive and the wall, respectively, and the tile itself. For this purpose primer mixtures with an increased level of moisture resistance are intended.
Comparative table of characteristics of tile coatings.
The main point on which the final result depends is the control of the horizontality and verticality of the stacked rows.
There are several recommendations that you should pay your attention to laying the tiles with your own hands correctly:
- Before you begin to glue the rows, it is better to put them "on dry". This will allow you to see possible shortcomings. In addition, it may happen that to the end of the series there will be a gap smaller than the solid tile, which makes it necessary to prepare pieces of material. Specialists recommend cutting at the beginning of the row, since it is more difficult to find the required size by the end.
- With the help of a pencil, the points of the location of the first and last plate are marked on the surface. This will help keep the landmark.
- The plumb line is used to create points of vertical rows. A small tip: regardless of the choice of the layout of the tiles at the junction of the details of the base of the tile seam should not be.
- Do not try to lay the entire wall for 1 time. First, the tiles are weighty enough, so they will start to move down, deforming the lower rows. Secondly, it is more difficult to control the drawing. It is best if the plots are 4x4. It is better to square out such squares with chalk on the wall.
- Working with the material, you should constantly use the level to control the evenness of the masonry. Thus, it is always possible to detect deviations even at the initial stage and immediately eliminate them.
- After each element is laid, beacons are inserted along its edges, which help to orientate in the thickness of the seam.
- The glue itself is applied to the surface of the wall, not to the stove. And during the mixing of the solution, the consistency of the composition is of no small importance. It is best if the brand used is fast-setting. This recommendation is especially suitable for beginners, because by gluing a row, sometimes there are situations when the subsequent tile shifts the previous one, then the whole view is spoiled.
- Applying the tile to the wall, it should be tightly pressed. But here the main thing is not to overdo it, first, the entire solution will come out at the edges, and secondly, the surface can simply split.
- Excess binder solution is removed using a sponge. But it also happens that this defect is found after the completion of the work. Then use a wooden or plastic spatula to avoid damaging the surface.
- Often the bathroom has a pipe system located on top of the walls. In this case, you need special forceps that break the tile. They help create the necessary notches.
- The last step in laying tiles is grouting joints. For this purpose, a special tool is designed in the form of a trowel, which moves along the seams.
Trowel does not need a lot of time to dry, therefore already in a short time the tile can be washed peacefully.
Laying on the floor
This process is similar to laying on walls. The only thing that the floor in this case is not only leveled, but also measures for waterproofing are carried out. For this purpose, mastic or a similar adhesive mixture is used, which are applied by means of a spatula with denticles. Before each packing it is moistened in water.
The thickness of the applied solution should not exceed the thickness of the working material, otherwise it leads to a significant overrun, and the quality of fastening does not affect. For a tile to hold better it can be taped, but only if the tool has a rubber grip, otherwise it will crack.
When laying on the floor, you can pull the thread, which will help to keep the even row. If the tiles are laid for the first time, then it is best to use glue, and not cement mortar. It's much easier to cook it. In this connection, it should also be noted that it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the instructions for applying glue, as each manufacturer can put forward its requirements.
In general, the work of special labor does not represent, with it everyone can cope on the shoulder.