Even the best quality plumbing begins to flow with time. Under the influence of moisture and constant physical impact, both metal and rubber elements wear out. So what if the mixer flows? The easiest way is to contact the plumber. But if you have the tools at your fingertips, you can do all the repair work yourself. In addition to saving money, you also get the confidence that all the work has been performed qualitatively.
Diagram of the mixer device.
There are several types of mixers, as well as many reasons for leaks. Each situation requires an individual approach, but the set of necessary tools is always the same. If the water flows from the mixer, then you will need:
- adjustable wrench;
- rubber gaskets;
Regardless of the type of failure, water must be blocked before starting work. If the riser is blocked only at the entrance, do not forget to warn the neighbors. In this case, it is better to have at hand all the tools and materials to finish all the work as quickly as possible.
The lower part of the gander
Tools for repairing the mixer.
The simplest for eliminating the breakage of the mixer is the percolation of the gander. In most cases, it flows due to the wear of the gasket. To eliminate such a breakdown, you need a ¾-inch gasket. The repair procedure should be as follows:
- With the help of the adjustable wrench, the nut is loosened, which keeps the gander on the mixer.
- The gander is separated from the mixer.
- The gaskets are replaced. It is best to insert a gasket from the paronite.
- FUM tape is wound on the thread.
- The gander is inserted into place and pressed with a nut.
The whole procedure takes no more than 20 minutes, and if done correctly, it will have to be conducted no more often than once every 5-6 years.
Single lever mixer
If you have a flowing mixer with one lever (sometimes called a "joystick"), then, most likely, it exhausted the cartridge's life. It is possible to eliminate the leak in it, only by replacing this one. Cartridges are sold in many hardware stores, but their design may differ. You can remove the leak by doing the following:
- Carefully remove the cap from the front of the lever (usually a red-blue circle).
- The clamping screw is twisted. Most often it is hexagonal.
- The lever is removed from the tap.
- The old cartridge is removed and a new one is installed.
- The mixer is assembled in the reverse order.
Since the cartridges can have a different design, it is better to remove this part before going to the store and taking it with you. So, you can avoid the situation with the wrong choice.
Switch from the tap to the shower
Sequence of mixer replacement.
When the gasket is worn between the lever and the mixer body, sometimes water flows from the switch. This place is most often used gasket size of 0.5 inches. To replace it, you need to do the following:
- The fixing screw is loosened.
- The lever is removed from the mixer.
- The gasket is replaced.
- 2-3 layers of FUM tape are wound on the thread.
- The lever is installed and fixed with a screw.
Despite the fact that the FUM tape seems very thin, do not wind more than three layers, otherwise the screw simply will not spin.
Leakage from the valve
There are two types of two-valve mixers, and they flow for various reasons. They can be fitted with a rubber gasket or a ceramic plug. Determine the mechanism of the appearance of the crane is difficult, so before repair, you need to unscrew the crane-axle. For this, the following actions are performed:
- The screwdriver is pierced and the decorative cover is removed from the valve handle.
- The pressure screw is loosened and the handle is removed.
- Using the adjustable wrench counter-clockwise, the crane-axle is twisted.
After that you will be able to determine the type of failure. If there is a rubber gasket, simply replace it. If the valve is closed using a ceramic plug, it is better to change the entire crane-axle. It can be bought in sanitary ware shops. To guess with the size, it is better to take the item with you. After the malfunction is determined, the mixer assembly is in the reverse order.
Ceramic plugs last much longer than gaskets. Even if you have a crane with a gasket, you can change it to a more resistant ceramic. It is not difficult to do this because they are interchangeable. Such a replacement will make repairs much less likely.
All these instructions can be performed without even having experience in working with plumbing.
In some cases, replacement of gaskets and cartridges may not stop leakage. This means that the metal parts of the structure have been subject to wear or corrosion. In this case, it is better to contact the plumber or to make a complete replacement of the mixer.