Despite all the variety of finishing materials in modern stores, it is the ceramic tile that continues to be the most popular option for finishing the walls in the bathroom. The tile has the most suitable properties for this type of premise: it is easy to clean, waterproof, durable, practical. In addition, a large selection of sizes and colors adds another significant plus in favor of choosing this finishing material.
Masonry tiles in the bathroom should occur using materials that are resistant to a high level of humidity and temperature changes.
Masonry tiles in the bathroom - a complex and responsible process. It can be entrusted to carry out as professionals of the business - to tilers, and it will approach for repair by own hands. In this case, you need to take into account that the quality work of masters is worth a lot of money, so with a small budget for repairs, you can try to make the bathroom finish yourself. The main thing in this business is to observe the basic rules of laying the tiles and the stages of performing the work.
Stages of finishing works
To get a good result of the finishing works in the bathroom, you should strictly follow the sequence of repair steps:
The basic schemes of the layout of the tiles: a - along straight lines, b - along the diagonal.
- Wall preparation. The walls in the bathroom should be aligned with the starting plaster or with plasterboard. With the qualitative preparation of the walls, it is much easier and faster to perform the bulk of the work on the laying of the finishing material. In addition, this will reduce the consumption of tile adhesive. After leveling the walls and before laying the tiles, the surface must be thoroughly primed. Often, in addition to the primer, waterproofing is also applied to the surface. These are special formulations for protection from moisture.
- Marking. This stage is especially necessary for the first experience with ceramic tiles. It is necessary to apply the layout of the first row of tiles, since it is precisely its even arrangement that will allow the correct laying of all other rows. At this stage, you need to use the building level for accuracy in the markup.
- Masonry tiles. This stage is the most difficult and lengthy. For laying tiles you need the following tools: building level, tile cutting tool, metal spatula with toothed edge, rubber hammer, trowel, mounting crosses. When choosing a device for cutting tiles, you should assess the amount of work performed, the available budget, the thickness of the material. For a small amount of work, a glass cutter and a manual tile cutter are suitable. For a larger surface area, you can use an electric tile cutter, a grinder or an electric jigsaw. These tools will not only cope with a large amount of material, but will also significantly speed up the work.
- Grout intertight seams. This step should be carried out only after the tile adhesive has dried. The trowelling compound is applied with a rubber spatula diagonally. After drying the grout, its excess is removed with a damp sponge.
Rules for laying tiles
When doing this stage of finishing the bathroom, you must follow certain rules.
Technology of laying ceramic tiles in the bathroom.
- Before you begin this stage, you need to choose the option of laying tiles in the bathroom. You can put it in rows, modules, diagonally, in checkerboard order, "in a run" (each row is offset from the previous one). In the absence of experience in tile work, it is better to choose the simplest styling options - row or chess methods.
- Laying tiles in the bathroom can begin with both the floor and the walls. When you start working from the floor, you can achieve its perfectly flat surface and then putting the tiles on the walls will be easier, since there is an even level from the bottom. But in this case, when further tiling the walls, there is a possibility of damage to the floor as a result of the fall of the material or tools. In the case where the walls are finished first, such a problem does not arise.
- Begin work on laying the material should start from the wall that is located furthest from the door to the bathroom. Then you need to move to the neighboring walls, finishing the finish in places where the plumbing, pipes, door will be located. Remains of cut tiles can be used in these areas. Masonry usually starts from the first or second row of tiles from the bottom. When you start work from the floor itself, it must be strictly horizontal.
- When facing the floor, start from the far corner of the entrance.
- If the first row is not laid from the floor (for example, from the bath level), then you need to set the level of the wooden rack, which will rely on the first row of tiles.
- Apply tile glue to small areas of the wall or floor, so that it does not have time to dry.
To obtain the same distance between the tiles, you need to use special plastic mounting crosses, which after drying the adhesive can be removed.
The pledge of quality repair in the bathroom when decorating it with tiles is the correct preparation of the base for the material and constant monitoring of the flat arrangement of the tiles.
With the strict observance of all the rules and stages of work, the result will please the family for many years.