Bathroom or kitchen faucets today are available in various models, but wall variants continue to be popular. They are attached directly to the water pipe terminals, which are located in the wall. Mounting the mixer of this type is simple, but there are certain features that you should not forget about. Today, for bathrooms, built-in thermostats are also used, they are convenient and economical to use. The installation of any model can be done independently, but it is worth keeping to certain norms, so that later you will not be disappointed in the work done.
A mixer is a plumbing device that is designed to produce water of the required temperature.
Mixers, the basis of which is a wall, can be divided into standard valve and cartridge, there are modern thermostatic. They can be connected to any water pipes. They can be metal plastic, plastic, iron, galvanized steel, copper. The main condition is the observance of the distance between the centers of the water pipes and the inlet openings of the mixer. According to the standard between the axes, the distance should be 150 mm.
Tools for repairing the mixer.
For connection, the standard pipe diameter is usually ½ in.. Water pipes can be laid directly in the cavity of the wall, that is, a concealed installation is used, or it can be carried out from the outside. It depends on which mixer design will be used. It is important that the connection itself be made at right angles to the pipes. To fulfill this condition, you will have to use special tees or corners. They can be easily bought at specialized stores. Couplings are used for matching pipe axes. If the axes do not match, then you will have to use special connecting elements.
The installation on the walls becomes more complicated if the pipes are made of different materials. In this case, you will need to use fittings. They are pads, each has 2 seaweeds. The distance between the axes in this case is 150 mm, there are holes for fastening the pads to the wall surface. Fittings are heated in the wall by about 3-4 cm, and for a wall without tiles a bit deeper. If mounting is made to copper or metal-plastic pipes, then all metal fittings should be used. For plastic pipes, only identical fittings with metal inserts are suitable.
Assembly and assembly
Scheme of assembling the mixer for the bathroom.
The workflow will be as follows:
- First, the walls are mounted eccentric. They are mandatory if the installation is made on a water pipe from metal pipes. For other types single vesicles are used.
- Twist the eccentrics with a wrench, the adjustable one is not suitable here, since the nut is narrow. It is necessary to use sanitary fum-tape, it is wound in 10-15 layers. For adjustment it is necessary to leave approximately 0,5-1 turns.
- The mixer is being tested, all nuts must be screwed on easily. If this does not happen, the eccentrics should be slightly weakened.
- If the old crane was dismantled, and the eccentricity is already there, then there is no need to replace them with new ones. It is enough to check that they do not leak.
- Special decorative lining is installed. You can do this with your hands, that is, you do not need to use the tool. If they are close to the wall, then the fittings are correctly installed. If the screen does not adhere to the wall, it will be necessary either to remodel the pipes or cut the linings so that there are no cracks between the wall and the screen. The mixer near the wall must be fixed tightly and evenly.
- Screens are not installed when water pipes are laid on the outside of the walls. In this case, you will not be able to hide the fixing points, and the projecting screens will only worsen the appearance.
- Installation of gaskets is carried out, they can be paronitic, fluoroplastic, silicone. Most commonly used are conventional rubber gaskets, which are of good quality and low price. They must be inserted into the mixer body, they provide the necessary abutment, the absence of water leakage when using the tap. You can not take old gaskets, it's best to buy new ones, their price is not so great.
- The installation continues with the fixing of the nuts. They can be installed manually on the first pair of turns, then for a tight fit, a swing or a wrench is used. A layer of special material is laid on the installed nut, for example, a pakli. Strongly after this, the nut can not be tightened, as this can lead to its spoilage. Further work depends on whether there is a need to install a shower hose. It is fixed simply, you only need to make a connection, just like for a valve.
When the mixer is in place, it is necessary to open the water supply. Cranes should be checked, during their operation, water should not leak. If even with the mixer closed the water starts to leak, then it is necessary to close the water pipe and perform the adjustment of the structure. Usually, the problem is due to the fact that the gaskets are not properly supplied or the nuts are poorly adjusted.
Construction with thermostat
Scheme of thermostatic mixer.
To install a mixer with a thermostat, you first need to understand what it is. This is a modern design that includes:
- the wall-mounted mixer itself;
- A special sensor that measures the temperature and controls the water supply.
Tools and materials for work:
Externally, the mixer is a conventional design that is mounted on a wall. It includes a panel and 2 taps with which water is turned on / off. The installed sensor then supplies water of the required temperature when turned on. This is the main advantage of such a mixer, plus an economical water flow. The sensors allow temperature adjustment with an accuracy of literally to a degree.
Installation of such mixers is recommended if:
- In the house there are small children who can accidentally scald when turning on the tap.
- Adjusting the comfort temperature is very difficult. This is due to the pressure difference that is observed in the pipes of cold and hot water of the water supply.
Especially for babies, cranes are produced that have a lock on the temperature change.
The child will not be able to turn on too cold or too hot water. Of the minuses, it should be noted that the price of such wall mixers with a thermostat is quite high, although the quality, reliability and usability of this cost justify this cost.
Instructions for installing a wall-mounted mixer.
The installation of a mixer with a thermostat is similar to that of a conventional one. It is enough to choose the model that fits most. You can install the design with temperature sensors directly to the place of the old mixer, no preparatory work is required for this. Pay attention to what kind of option is suitable.
- Today, various mixers are offered, but it is necessary to select those that are specially produced for the conditions of the Russian market. This is due to the features of the operation of the water pipe, the pressure in the pipes, the quality of the water. It is recommended to install water filters to extend the life of the equipment.
- When choosing, pay attention to the features of the highway. Pipes of hot water can be located in the wall, not only on the right side, but also on the left. Therefore, the equipment should be chosen so that the outlet of the water pipe meets the features of the mixer connection. If this rule is not followed, then after installing the mixer to the wall the sensor will not work correctly.
- Attention must be paid to whether there is a pressure difference between the pipe with hot and cold water. If the difference is significant, then cold water can run into the hot water pipe when the mixer is in operation. In this case, you need to buy special wall mixers with a thermostat, which have safety valves. Such a valve will interrupt the water supply if there are large pressure drops. If the water in the water pipe is too rigid, then the installation must begin with the installation of the filter.
Mounting the mixer to the wall is not the most difficult task, installation can be done on its own without referring to specialists. But first you need to choose a crane, determine the way the water main goes. After that, the old crane is dismantled, if necessary, a filter is placed and only then the new mixer is strengthened.