Tile is one of the most durable and durable finishing materials. Laying of tiles is widely used in the decoration of any premises due to the huge choice of color and texture of this material.
Flooring of ceramic tiles in the bathroom and bathroom.
- building level;
- a drill with a mixer nozzle;
- set of crowns for drilling holes in the tile;
- tiler or Bulgarian;
- notched trowel;
- microfiber or sponge;
- plastic crosses;
- rubber trowel for grouting joints;
- a mixing tank for tile adhesive;
- roller or brush for priming tiles.
- adhesive for tiles;
- waterproofing (for example, rubber-bituminous mastic);
- Grout for joints.
Ways of laying
Tools for laying tiles.
The most common ways of laying tiles in the bathroom are straight and diagonal. There are more complex styling options that beginners will find it hard to cope with. Therefore, for training it is better to choose a direct method.
To ensure smoothness of the tile laying, divide the floor area into 4 parts using two cords. Mount their ends to the center of the walls and at right angles to each other. If you chose the diagonal way, you will need to pull the cords from the center point of the cords to the corners of the room. This way of laying is more complicated than direct.
Before you start laying tiles in the bathroom, you need to make a marking for it and install the stops for laying the first row. On them you will make the tiling.
Laying tiles on the walls begins with the second row. A wooden strip or metal profile is attached to the wall. They will rely on the second row of tiles. Draw a vertical line using the plumb line. Mark the places where the elements will be located, which differ from the main mass of the tile.
Next, proceed to the layout of the floor. Draw a line from the edge of the first row of tiles. When forming a pattern, mark the locations of the elements that differ from the main tile. Lay the floor tiles should be starting from the far corner. In this case, it should be noted that near the entrance to the premises there should be solid tiles without scraps. The layout should be made taking into account the size of the tile and the distance between the elements.
Preparation of glue
Technology of laying tiles on the floor.
For laying tiles in the bathroom you will need special tile adhesive. Prepare the adhesive mixture strictly according to the instructions on the package. Otherwise, this can affect the reliability of the cladding. It is not recommended to use self-adhesive adhesives.
Before starting the tiling, the tile should be primed from the back side to ensure its better adhesion to the surface. So the tile will not absorb moisture from the adhesive, and adhesion to the surface will not be disturbed. The surface must also be primed, so that it does not absorb moisture. If necessary, this procedure should be done 2-3 times.
The technology of laying the tile provides for the presence between the tiles of a distance of 2 mm. If the room experiences severe temperature changes, this distance should be up to 10 mm. The width of the seams between the tiles throughout the area of the room should be the same. To do this, use special plastic crosses.
To get a perfectly flat surface, tiled with a tile, you need to thoroughly prepare the base.
Count on the correction of small irregularities of the surface due to a larger layer of adhesive is not worth it. A qualitative result you get only if you apply a uniform amount of glue on the tile and glue it on a flat surface.
Layout of tiling on the wall.
Before laying the tile on the floor, you need to make a screed, and in wet rooms - also a layer of waterproofing. The floor tie can be done both "dry" and "wet". However, it is better to lay the tile on a cement-sand screed. If the old screed is of poor quality, then it must be dismantled and a new one made.
For laying the tiles in the bathroom on the walls, you need to remove all the old coating and make a high-quality lighthouse plaster. It is not necessary to fill the surface, as this will make it smooth. This can degrade the adhesion of the surface to the material. You can glue the tiles on plasterboard walls.
The order of work
- Using a notched trowel, apply 1 m adhesive2 floor cross-motions of about 3 mm thick, starting at the far corner of the room.
- Lay the first tile in a corner and press it a little.
- When laying the next tile, place crosses between them to ensure a uniform seam. So lay the tile on the entire surface.
- Before applying the glue to the next section, check the level to ensure that the entire tile is strictly in one plane. After stacking the following items, retest the test.
- When all the whole elements are laid, allow time to dry the glue and proceed to the marking of the tiles that need to be cut.
- Next, lay the tile in the clamp cutting the tiles with the face up, slightly cut along the marked line and press the lever to break it.
- Apply glue to the cut tile from the back and place it so that the cut edge is facing the wall.
- After the glue dries, proceed to the jointing of the joints.
Jointing of joints
The final stage of facing the room with tiles is jointing (grouting) the seams. This is not only aesthetic completion of the cladding, but also protection from penetration of moisture into the seams.
Before proceeding to grouting, the seams must be cleaned or expanded with the help of some sharp object (for example, an awl). Fugue should be applied with a rubber spatula, wiping excess solution with a rag or sponge.