In the bathroom, hidden hatches are most often installed, they help hide the plumbing. Hatches can be mounted above the toilet, under the baths or sinks. On the outside on the construction is glued ceramic tiles, as a result, the door becomes invisible. Install the hatch is not difficult, today there are various designs on sale. They are easy to assemble, after which they are tiled. Hatches can be made of metal, lightweight plastic, in the presence of experience they can be made by hand from plasterboard.
The hatch allows easy access to meters or taps to cover the water.
Types of hatches
There are several options:
- Ceiling mounted on the surface of the ceiling, characterized by reliability, ease of use. They are supplied with good locks, which will not open under the influence of their own weight. Most often they are made of aluminum.
- Wall hatches are considered the most common. They are mounted on the surface of the walls, usually behind the toilet, under the sinks, the bathrooms. Hatches are often finished with ceramic tiles, they are obtained secret. Similar hatches for tiles are available in various types. They can be metal, plastic, doors can be made with their own hands from plasterboard or moisture-proof plywood. The loops are chosen different, although preference is given to the clamping. For some designs, the hinges may not be used, but in any case the door should fit snugly against the frame.
- Floor hatches are usually made of metal, they are mounted on the floor surface. They are used in the bathroom rarely, unless engineering communications run under the surface. The structures are made strong and reliable, with a long service life.
Revision hatches can be classified according to the materials of manufacture:
The device of the aluminum hatch under the tile.
- Plastic are found most often, they are used for wall mounting. Dimensions of doors can be different, like shape. The construction consists of a solid frame, hinges and a door. In place, it is fixed with screws, after which it is decorated, if necessary. The weight of the structure is small.
- Metal hatches can be divided into steel and aluminum. The first ones are used for floor installation, and the second ones are used for wall and ceiling mounting. Their reliability is high, a special polished surface is provided.
- Homemade manholes from plywood and plasterboard. This option is the cheapest, but for manufacturing you need to have some experience. For reliability it is necessary to mount a metal frame, it will be the basis for the inspection viewing window. For self-made hatchways, hinges or magnetic locks can be used, in some cases they may not be required. Such windows are installed, as a rule, under the bathrooms. Outside the hatches are tiled.
Before starting work, you must prepare all the materials and tools that you might need:
The scheme of installation of the hatch under the tile.
- hatch of the chosen type (it is best to purchase a ready-made structure in the form of a frame with a door on the pressure hinges, which after installation will go level with the wall);
- finishing tile, which will be glued not only hatch, but also the surface of the adjacent wall;
- tile adhesive;
- a container for mixing glue;
- Toothed metal spatula;
- rubber spatula;
- colored grout;
- Plastic cross-dividers;
- metal zinc-plated profile;
- self-tapping screws for metal;
- self-tapping screws for plasterboard;
- damp-proof plasterboard;
- building level;
- metal ruler;
- a simple pencil;
- knife for cutting plasterboard.
Above the toilet in the usual small toilet in the city apartment, you can use a ready-made revision hatch, for example, "Euroformat-R". For exterior decoration is suitable for ordinary ceramic tiles, the walls of the bathroom are also trimmed. Location of the hatch - wall, it is put at a convenient height behind the toilet. For fastening a metal frame is used. It hides all engineering communications, leaving only a convenient window for checking the counters and the overall condition of the pipes.
The hatch under the tile "Euroformat-R" differs in its simplicity of installation.
First, the niche behind the toilet is completely removed, the condition of the pipes is inspected. If necessary, the pipes are replaced. The store selects a secret hatch for the bathroom. Manufacturers today offer a variety of models, you need to buy such that it is convenient to take meter readings and have access to valves and cranes if necessary. Have the hatch at a comfortable height. The peculiarity of the fastening of the toilet bowl and its type are taken into account.
The next step is to install the frame. This will be a false wall, which after installation is sewn with plasterboard of moisture-resistant type. As a material for the frame, a metal zinc-plated profile is used. It is ideal for plasterboard structures. First, the building level and the plumb line are marked on the ceiling, the floor, on the walls behind the toilet. Further, a guiding profile is fixed to the floor and ceiling, horizontal and vertical slats are installed. It is necessary to immediately mount the frame for the inspection hatch, it must match the parameters of the window. If the counters are at a great distance from each other (and this is not uncommon), you can install 2 windows or transfer counters. But to hope that one of them can be reached does not follow. It will be extremely inconvenient in the future.
It is best for a small bathroom to use a hatch with a clamp.
In this case, after installation it will not be visible, the wall will be complete. First profiles for the frame, jumper for fastening are exposed. It is important to pre-mark everything, as the hatch should fit snugly against the frame, no cracks should remain. Before installation, the hatch opens, after which the screws are screwed onto the frame. First, 2 vertical opposite sides are attached, after them - 2 horizontal ones. This allows you to align the structure as needed.
After the hatch is mounted, and there are no special tricks here, it must be fixed to profiles along already existing holes. Next, you can begin to sew the false wall with plasterboard. For a bathroom or a bathroom it is necessary to use a special moisture-resistant sheet of GKL or to take a conventional wall, which is impregnated with special compositions, for example, "Aqua-stop". The hatches for plasterboard tiles are not sewn, but their surface should go level with the rest of the finish, so that the tiling is flat. For fixing gypsum cardboard special screws are used, all sheets must be cut beforehand for convenience. It is important to check immediately that the inspection hatch freely opens and closes.
Installation of tiles
The next step is mixing the glue for the tiles. To do this, you must first prepare a container in which the mixture will be mixed, a drill with a special nozzle "construction mixer". Glue on the surface of drywall is applied with a notched trowel, in some cases it can be applied to the wrong side of the tile. Then the tile is pressed firmly against the surface for 2 seconds. For beautiful and smooth seams, plastic cross-dividers are used, which are put on 2 pieces on each side. The tile is laid so that it completely covers not only the partition, but also the hatch. Crosses are removed about a day after laying, all seams are rubbed with colored special mixtures.
Luke under the tiles with their own hands is easy to make. Most often this is a special inspection window, which is located behind the toilet and hides the sewer and water pipes. You can mount it under the bathroom, the sink, in the floor and even on the ceiling, if there are engineering communications that require periodic testing.