When carrying out repairs in the bathroom it is very important to choose the right material. In this case, you need to focus not only on its external indicators (texture, color, etc.), but also on technical characteristics, because the bathroom is a room with a high level of humidity, so the decorative material must have moisture-repellent properties. Due to the fact that a large number of decorative materials are present on the market today, bath finishes can be made in various ways. Therefore, the main ways of bathroom finishing will be considered next.
Figure 1. Materials used in finishing the bathroom, should have water repellent properties.
Many homeowners for a variety of reasons can not or do not want to use expensive bathroom materials (ceramics, mosaic, wood, natural stone, etc.) as a bathroom liner. In this case, you can take advantage of cheaper options for wall decoration, which is perfect for a limited budget. Such materials include:
- waterproof paint;
- special film;
- plastic panels.
Figure 2. Technology of waterproofing the bathroom.
The most popular variant of design of walls of a bathroom is their coloring. This method is recommended to use when the base is flat and does not need additional processing. Finishing of baths with paint is carried out with the help of moisture-proof, grease-repellent and pollution-resistant composition. The optimum option is a latex based colorant. This paint has a relatively low cost and a wide range of colors, so with its help you can realize almost any design solutions (Figure 1).
Another budget option for decorating the walls of the bathroom is PVC or self-adhesive film. This material allows you to quickly and easily upgrade the old base, and the room to give freshness and elegance. Today in the market you can buy a film of almost any shade. Also, it can be used to imitate natural wood, marble, cork and other decorative coatings (Figure 2).
If the finishing of the baths will be done by the wallpaper, then for these purposes, the following types of roll material can be used:
- Waterproof wallpaper. This is a special coating with an upper protective layer. It has not only increased moisture resistance, but also excellent antiseptic properties, due to which the walls will be reliably protected from the formation of fungus and mold. This is the best option, which allows you to make simple and inexpensive bathroom repairs.
- Vinyl wallpapers. This is one of the types of web material that can tolerate direct contact with water for a long time. Therefore, finishing the bath with this material will serve you for a long time.
- Self-adhesive wallpaper. This decorative material in many respects resembles the usual self-adhesive film. Its only drawback is the scarcity of the coloring, which significantly limits the design possibilities for the design of the bathroom.
- Wall-papers. This material is made on the basis of glass, so it does not absorb moisture. That is why glass walls are often used for finishing the bathroom. To date, there are 2 types of wallpaper: with a pattern and under painting. The first have a high price, but they do not need additional processing, so the finishing work will take you much less time and effort.
Figure 3. The scheme of finishing the bathroom tiles.
The cheapest way to finish the bathroom is to use plastic panels. Their attractive appearance and ease of installation work stipulate the great popularity of this material.
Plastic panels perfectly withstand high humidity and temperature fluctuations, they are easy to care for.
Their only drawback is a relatively small mechanical strength.
Also, plastic panels can be used as an additional finishing material (when plumbing utilities, when you need to keep free access to them).
The traditional decorative material for the walls in the bathroom is ceramic tiles (Figure 3). In comparison with other finishing materials, it has the following advantages:
- 100% water resistant;
- high mechanical strength and resistance to abrasion;
- easy maintenance (it can be washed with any household cleaning products);
- wide range (tiles can have different shades, patterns, texture and shape).
The scheme of finishing the bathroom with plastic panels.
The only drawback of tile is the complexity of its styling. For performance of qualitative installation it is necessary to possess specific knowledge and skills. Therefore, if you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to entrust all work to a professional. If you decide to lay the tiles with your own hands, then first you need to calculate the finishing area, which will allow you to purchase the required amount of tiles.
When buying a tile, special attention should be paid to its shade, as it may differ slightly in different batches. To make the bathroom finish more attractive, you can dilute the general background with patterned or colored tiles.
The tile in one batch can also differ in size. Basically, this can be observed in domestic manufacturers. The purchase of the same imported tiles will save you from this shortcoming and greatly facilitate the work on its laying. However, the high cost of a foreign product is a circumstance that forces one to opt for a domestic producer.
Tools for finishing the bathroom with tiles.
The finishing of bathtubs with ceramic tiles with their own hands is carried out with the help of such tools and materials:
- a toothed and rubber spatula;
- tile cutting machine;
- crosses and wedges;
- tile adhesive;
- mixtures for grouting joints;
Laying works begin with marking. To do this, take a wooden or metal strip, which is set in a level strictly horizontally, after which it is fixed to the wall using self-tapping screws. Then, the first row of tiles is installed around the perimeter of the room. Between the adjacent elements are installed crosses to form smooth seams. To fix the finishing material, special glue is applied, which can be applied in 2 ways:
- The mixture is applied to the back of the tile with a notched trowel;
- glue is applied to the wall.
The choice of this or that option depends entirely on your preferences. After the 1st row is laid, you can proceed with the installation of the 2nd and subsequent rows in the direction from the bottom up. After the end of the laying, the adhesive should be allowed to dry (about 24 hours), after which it is possible to start grouting the seams.
As a trowelling mixture for tiling in the bathroom it is recommended to buy special substances containing antiseptic additives in their composition.
If you want to create a truly unique and modern bathroom interior, then you can use the following finishing materials for this:
- Mosaic. It fits well with other facing materials and can be made of glass, stone, smalt or ceramics. To get a unique interior of the bathroom, you can create an unusual pattern from the mosaic according to your own sketch.
- Tree. Most often for finishing use lining made of hardwood: lime, oak, aspen. To protect the material from moisture, it is treated with special moisture-repellent substances.
- Algomerate. Externally, this material resembles a tile, but it has a much greater strength and lifetime. The only drawback of the algomerate is its high cost, so not everyone can afford it.
Knowing all the advantages and disadvantages of finishing materials, you can choose the best option that best fits into the conceived bathroom interior.