Making repairs in the apartment, the most difficult is a selection of material for finishing the bathroom. This is the most whimsical premise, since it always has a humid climate. Today's construction markets are full of diverse innovative materials. Before you start repairs in the bathroom, it is important to understand the pros and cons of the finishing materials, and only then pick the one that will be to your liking. So, with what material can you finish the bathroom and what are its features?
To visually increase the size of the bathroom use a mirror tile.
Tile finishing is one of the most common ways. Its popularity is due to the fact that this type of product is distinguished by its ecological purity, hygiene, strength, ability to withstand moisture. Also, it is easy to look after and clean the tiles. Tiles are available to consumers with various financial opportunities, as the prices for it fluctuate depending on the design performance. On sale there is a material of both domestic and imported production.
Layout of ceramic tiles.
Coloring, a variety of different patterns and additional decorative elements allows you to choose a tile to any interior and for every taste.
Tiles are not deprived and disadvantages, but they are directly related to the installation:
- a lot of dirt and dust during installation;
- considerable waste of time;
- because of the laborious work, because of the additional waste on the preliminary preparation of the surface, the cost price is significantly increased.
In addition, you will have to hire craftsmen, since tile finishing is a job for professionals, because with improperly executed work ceramic tiles can crack or fall off.
Panels made of plastic
Scheme of wall finishing with plastic panels.
Recently, the replacement of tiled coatings has become plastic panels. Due to the variety of colors and different textures, they are able to give the bathroom a cosiness and attractiveness.
To make installation of panels, it is not necessary to be an expert, almost everyone can install them. They are fixed thanks to the guide rails with special locks or screws. After fixing the first panel, a subsequent element is inserted into its groove and fixed. By this principle, as a children's designer, wall coverings are also assembled.
Plastic panels, like any material, have their advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages include:
- affordable price;
- lightness in weight, which facilitates their installation;
- moisture resistance, ability to withstand chemical and temperature influences;
- inability to deform.
Using plastic panels, you can hide under them plumbing pipes and other communications. Before you finish the walls, no preparatory work is required for leveling. The panels are environmentally friendly, with a neat attitude and durable, as they do not lend themselves to rot.
The only drawback is fragility, even with a slight mechanical impact, the panel can burst.
Staining of walls
Before painting the walls in the bathroom must be leveled.
It is considered to be an actual option and painting the walls of the bathroom with decorative paint. Using this method of decoration, combining the similar in tone materials, the bathroom can be turned into a real masterpiece.
It is more practical to use paints on a latex base, acrylic and in rare cases you can use an emulsion, since they are not afraid of a wet environment.
This type of coverage does not require special care, and the cost of repair will be several times less. What nuance is there? Walls for painting should be perfectly even, even the smallest flaw can affect the aesthetic appearance of the coating.
As for the choice of color, modern manufacturers are happy to offer paint not only of all kinds of colors, but also textures.
Decorative plaster не только красиво смотрится, но и скрывает неровности стен.
Fans of non-standard furnishings and delicacies always look for individual material, rather than finish the walls. The walls, finished with decorative plaster, will look amazing. After the coating, a smooth relief surface is obtained, unlike other coatings, this is the absence of seams. You should pay attention to the advantages:
- this material can be subjected to multiple coloring;
- has good vapor tightness;
- surface from decorative plaster does not lend itself to fungal lesions;
- due to moisture absorption there is no fogging of mirrors;
- because of its structure, it hides flaws on the walls.
It is worth noting that this type of coating is easy to apply, dries quickly and does not crack after drying.
Many lovers of natural material prefer to finish the bathroom with wooden elements.
The use of material from wood gives the bathroom room warmth, refinement and coziness.
Because of its ecological purity, it has a beneficial effect on human health. Since this type of finishing is expensive, then its demand is much lower. Its small need consists in the laborious installation, since before the installation it is necessary to level the surface of the walls, to treat and impregnate with antiseptic and water-repellent means, which increases the installation time. For finishing, you should invite professionals who will cope well with this work.
Using mosaic, you can create a variety of drawings and ornaments on the walls.
Mosaic for bathroom finishing is used very rarely, because, along with its attractiveness, it is very expensive.
But producing a mosaic finish, you can create an exclusively individual design, performing on the walls a variety of drawings and ornaments. Producing the mosaic, manufacturers use colored glass, multi-colored ceramic material, smalt and even natural or artificial stones.
Drawing a mosaic of individual elements is a painstaking and long-term work, and to lay out the walls, you need to have great skill and be truly an artist. But today's manufacturers offer mosaic sheets that are applied to the base of the polymer mesh. Such elements can be laid, without recourse to masters, independently.
Many consumers are looking for an alternative to the above finishing materials. There are several more types of finishes, but they have a lot of drawbacks:
- Marble. The bathroom will give a rich and refined classic look. If the bathroom is furnished with proper furniture, then you can give the interior a look of a luxurious room. Marble is very expensive and requires special care.
- Mirror tiles. This option can be suitable for bathrooms of small size and will make the room visually larger. The room will be much lighter, but the minus of this material is that it will have to be washed quite often, since after each washing there will be soap stains on it.
- Drywall. Refers to the cheapest materials and has good heat and sound insulation. Finishing can be done by yourself. But the lack of finishing is that it needs to be fixed on the profile, and this will significantly reduce the room. A similar option is possible when finishing large bathrooms, but it is recommended to use a waterproof material for this.
- Agglomerate. Similar to tiles, but much stronger and more durable, but they can be trimmed by rich people, because its price is very high.
- Self-adhesive film. The cheapest option. But the film when it gets wet on it can swell and become unstuck, which makes it unusable in a short time.
So, having studied all the advantages and disadvantages of finishing materials, you can conclude and pick up what to finish the walls of the bathroom. Also there is an opportunity to choose the finishes to your taste and by your means.