Modern industry offers a wide range of materials for the decoration of walls: decorative plasters, paints, various types of wallpaper. Not knowing the characteristics of each of them, it is not easy to make a choice. In particular, this applies to liquid wallpaper, which is often considered one of the varieties of decorative plaster. In fact, these materials are different in composition and quality.
- What is a liquid wallpaper
- Advantages and disadvantages
- For what rooms are suitable liquid wallpaper
- How to apply a liquid wallpaper
- How to make liquid wallpaper yourself
- How to draw pictures
- Coating care
- Liquid wallpapers - 110 photos in the interior
What is a liquid wallpaper
This type of finishing is a mixture of fibers of natural cellulose, silk or cotton, with glue as a binder. It adds fungicides that prevent the appearance of mold, various plasticizers that increase plasticity during application, and components that impart decorativeness: dyes, mica chips, mother of pearl.
Advantages and disadvantages
The absolute advantages of liquid wallpaper include:
- Ecological compatibility. Manufactured from natural components, this finish does not emit harmful substances in the process of operation.
- The ability to hide small unevennesses and imperfections of the base. In contrast to the roll wallpaper, before applying liquid, you do not need to carefully level the walls. The coating is applied in thicknesses from 2 to 5 mm, which makes it possible to hide small flaws in the surface.
- Antistatic properties: this material does not attract dust.
- Fire safety. Liquid wallpaper does not emit harmful substances during combustion and has the ability to self-extinguish after a short time.
- Resistance to ultraviolet, and hence the ability to maintain the original color for many years.
- Convenient application around pipes, in corners and other hard-to-reach places - where traditional wallpaper has to be cut.
- Plasticity of the coating, due to which it does not crack and does not crumple in the corners with a slight draft of the building.
- Resistance to changes in temperature and humidity. In contrast to the roll wallpaper, this coating will not lag behind the walls in any conditions, which is especially important when decorating public spaces.
- The ability to "breathe", creating a favorable microclimate in the room.
- Ease of removal. If replacement of the wiring or slaughtering is required, the layer of wallpaper in the required area is removed with a spatula, and when finished - diluted with water and again applied to the wall. Similarly come if you need to remove a heavily soiled part of the coating: it is removed and replaced with fresh.
- Possibility to create your own color of decoration by choice, and if you wish - patterns and drawings. For this purpose, unpainted formulations are produced, which are easy to impart any shade with a special color.
"Minuses" for liquid wallpaper a bit. This coating is afraid of moisture, so it can not be used for finishing bathrooms. They do not fit for the kitchen, as the walls in this room have to be washed often. Of the relative disadvantages can be called and higher, compared with conventional wallpaper, the cost.
For what rooms are suitable liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper is appropriate almost everywhere, except for bathrooms and kitchens. They can decorate the walls and ceilings of residential and public premises. This coating has perfectly proven itself in the interiors of living rooms and bedrooms, combining environmental friendliness and aesthetics. In addition, the material is pleasant to the touch, which is especially important for children's rooms, and the damaged or child-drawn site is easily replaced.
With the help of liquid wallpaper you can create unusual effects in the interior, for example, combining them with wallpaper or artificial stone. Fluorescent paint added to the mixture will create gently glowing in the dark drawings or emphasize the contours.
How to apply a liquid wallpaper
The main thing is to follow the instructions on the package, where the correct proportions of dilution of the mixture are indicated. Dry mixture must be filled with warm water and mixed. It is better to do this with your hands and do not use a construction mixer, so as not to destroy the texture. After mixing, the container is covered with a polyethylene film and left for about 12 hours for swelling.
The finished composition is evenly applied with a spatula or trowel on the previously primed walls. It is better not to use materials from different parties on the same surface: this will avoid heterogeneity of color and texture.
How to make liquid wallpaper yourself
This will require sheets of paper - old books, office paper, newspapers and packaging. All this is carefully crushed and poured with water at a rate of approximately 5 liters per 1 kg. The mixture is left for several hours to soften the paper, after which it is mixed with a construction mixer until uniform. Read: Design of a one-room apartment - 150 photos in the interior
In the base prepared in this way, PVA glue is introduced, the dye and stir again. Further, as in the case with the finished mixture, the mass should be "ripened" within 12 hours, after which decorative materials such as sparkles, fibers, etc., are added to it. Such a composition can be stored for several days without loss of quality.
Another necessary component of self-made liquid wallpaper is gypsum. It is added immediately before application, after which the mass is thoroughly mixed. Keep this composition is no longer possible - thanks to the presence of gypsum, it will quickly harden.
How to draw pictures
In this case, the desired pattern is applied to the wall with a pencil and carefully filled with a mixture. It is necessary to wait for partial drying and if necessary cut the material protruding from the edges, then proceed to apply the main background. In the case of creating a pattern of several colors, it is carried out in stages, allowing each site to dry for several hours.
Since liquid wallpaper is afraid of water, only dry cleaning is allowed - with a soft brush, brush or vacuum cleaner. The stain from the surface can be removed with the material, and then fill the area with a new coating.
Liquid wallpapers - 110 photos in the interior
- Design of penthouses - photos of the most fashionable and unusual design solutions in the interior
- Scandinavian style in the interior: TOP-100 photos of new design
- Apartments in the style of minimalism - 120 photos of unusual ideas in the interior
- Design of a one-room Khrushchev - 100 photos of ideas of an impeccable interior
- Interior of a small apartment - 90 photos of the perfect design
- Living room in country style - 100 photos of beautiful design ideas
- Italian style in the interior - 75 photos of ideas how to create an exquisite design
- Decor chairs - step by step instruction with photo examples and novelties of design
- Studio apartment in loft style: TOP-100 photos of original design ideas