The old refrigerator is still working, but it is decaying and sometimes covered with rust? Or maybe you think that this large metal "box" does not fit into the interior at all? Or you just want to slightly change the situation in the kitchen? In this material we will tell you about 8 ways to decorate a refrigerator, starting with painting with your own hands and ending with decoupage, and also present 80 photo-ideas of original alterations.
Method 1. Paint with lead paint and painting with crayons (+ master class)
The refrigerator door with a slate coating is an ideal place for entries: shopping lists and cases, recipes and reminders of messages to household members and cute notes. And, of course, on such a "board" it is very convenient to draw to the children while mother prepares. To turn the refrigerator door into a recording board, you can choose one of the following four ways:
Method 1. Paint with lead paint. This method is somewhat more complicated than the others, and besides, it excludes the possibility of returning the surface to its original form. But paint with slate paint can not only doors, but the whole body of equipment, and the coating itself will be more durable.
Method 2. Finishing with chalk wallpaper. Cretaceous wallpaper is easier to work with, and most importantly - they can be peeled off without leaving traces on the surface of the machinery. However, the coating is not too durable and should be changed periodically. In addition, chalky wallpaper is more difficult to decorate rounded doors, corners, to bypass when gluing handles, displays and protruding parts. If you want to glue the whole case, the cover will have visible seams. For this reason, chalk wallpaper is best to make out only the door or part of the door.
Method 3. Mounting the magnetic slate. Such a board is mounted and dismounted as easily as one large magnet, and on it you can not only draw, but also mount small magnets. Most often, the finished magnetic boards are not too large, and a large panel can be purchased only to order.
Method 4. Fastening the slate board to neodymium magnets. This method is good in that it allows you not to paint the refrigerator and, if desired, easily remove the chalkboard.
- How can such a large chalkboard hang on the refrigerator? The secret is simple - several neodymium magnets are glued on its back
- How can such a large chalkboard hang on the refrigerator? The secret is simple - several neodymium magnets are glued on its back
Next, we will tell you how to decorate your fridge with a removable slate with a frame like with the photo below.
Please note that the refrigerator does not have its own handles, its doors open behind the handles, bolted to the chalkboard
What you need:
- Thin sheet of plywood (3-6 mm);
- Slate paint, primer (preferably), paint brush / roller, cuvette;
- Moldings for framing the board;
- Jig saw or hand saw;
- Neodymium magnets with holes for screws (the price of one magnet is about 80 rubles, their number and adhesion strength depend on the weight of the board).
Such a super-magnet the size of a ruble coin can easily hold 3 kg of weight
- Shurpy (in terms of the number of magnets), screwdriver;
- Stickers on the furniture legs (they are needed to avoid scratches on the surface of the doors, as well as chips on the magnets themselves.It is sold such pads in Ikea and construction stores.If you want, you can glue pieces of fine rubber or fabric like fleece to the magnets);
- Handle furniture for each board / door and screws for fixing.
Step 1. Measure the parameters of one or two doors of the refrigerator.
Step 2. Cut out the board from the board with the exact size of the doors.
Step 3. We paint the board with a primer, wait for the drying. Next, apply the first layer of slate, let it dry, apply the next layer and again leave for the time recommended by the manufacturer. Finally, we apply the third coat of paint (preferably).
Step 4. While the paint dries, unscrew the native handles of your refrigerator.
Step 5. Cut and mount the moldings onto the board (you can apply to joiner's glue). If desired, moldings can be painted.
Step 6. Now we glue on each magnet a protective pad, then we screw all the magnets on the back side of the board. Be careful and strictly (!) Observe the rules for working with neodymium magnets.
Neodymium magnets are small magnets, but very powerful. They are sold in special online stores in a variety of forms, sizes and capacities (the adhesion force is indicated on the package). Flat magnets are suitable for our project, so that the gap between the board and the door is not too big. The main thing is that the total binding force of magnets outweighs the weight of your board in half (!), Otherwise it will slide down.
Step 7. Hurray! The board is ready. Now we attach furniture handles to it.
Step 8. It's time to install the board (s). Try to open each door by pulling the handle, if the board is stationary, and the door opens easily, then your project is completed. If you feel that the board is magnetized to the door is not strong enough, add a few more magnets.
See also: We make magnets on the refrigerator (and not only) from improvised, waste and natural materials
Method 2: Vinyl stickers
Vinyl stickers are easily glued and without a trace are unstuck, they are inexpensive and are sold in a variety of designs, and therefore they can often be changed in the mood. For example, geometric figures, animal images, plant and flower motifs, words and phrases can decorate the refrigerator.
- Vinyl stickers can be bought in construction shops, shops with goods for creativity, various online stores (for example, at Aliexpress), and also ordered in the printing house.
- Simple stickers for the refrigerator can be cut with your own hands from self-adhesive paper.
See also: How to locate the refrigerator in the kitchen
Method 3. Film or magnetic panels with photographic printing
Do you want to turn the refrigerator into a realistic phone booth, retro soda machine or a bottle of your favorite drink? Or maybe you just want to transfer to the door a beautiful photo of your authorship? Then your choice is vinyl film or magnetic vinyl (magnetic panel) with photo printing. Both coating options can not only decorate the refrigerator, but also protect its facades from scratches and dirt.
Registration of a refrigerator with a photographic print film
- The film with photo printing is different in that it is glued by hand or by warm air (at home it is done with a hairdryer). The latter easily lays down even on the rounded doors and corners of the refrigerator. Both types of film are suitable for the decoration of the entire body of equipment.
How do you glue a sticker with photoprint on your refrigerator with your own hands? The first thing to do is degrease the surface with any degreaser or alcohol solution. Handles on the door must first be removed, other protruding parts should also be removed. Then the film is gently applied and at the same time smoothed by any flat object (for example, by a bank card), and the bubbles and creases are smoothed. Further along the edges the film is folded, also smoothed, and the excess is cut off with a clerical knife. Finally, the knobs are screwed into place.
- Magnetic panels are flexible sheets of vinyl with a thickness of 0.5 mm with a magnetic reverse side and with photographic printing on the front side. In fact, these are simply large magnets, which are made exactly according to the dimensions of the doors (but not more than 60 cm in width). Most often, magnetic panels adorn the doors, but they can also decorate the sides of the refrigerator. Magnetic vinyl is easy to mount and dismantle, leaving no traces.
Method 4. Painting in bright colors, in the tone of the headset or walls (+ master class)
Refresh the old refrigerator or enter the technique in the interior can be simply painted it with paint for metal. The main thing here is to choose the right color.
- If you paint the refrigerator in the tone of the wall or the headset, it will seem less cumbersome. This technique is especially good for small kitchens.
- If the interior of your kitchen seems to you too boring, then the refrigerator can be painted in a very bright color.
- In the interior of the kitchen in retro style, country or provence будет отлично смотреться холодильник красного or пастельного цвета – пудово-розового or нежно-голубого.
Красить холодильник своими руками лучше и легче всего краской в баллончике. В идеале это должна быть особо стойкая алкидная эмаль or акриловая краска по металлу. Краски в банках тоже подойдут, однако в этом случае важно использовать качественную малярную кисть, чтобы добиться идеально ровного финиша.
Шаг 1. Слегка шкурим поверхность, чтобы снять глянец. Если где-то есть ржавчина or сколы, то тоже снимаем их и выравниваем шкуркой.
Step 2. Clean and degrease the surface with an alcohol solution.
Шаг 3. Малярным скотчем закрываем все то, что хотим защитить от покраски, камеру холодильника закрываем пленкой. Не забудьте постелить пленку or газеты на пол, а также открыть окно.
Step 4. Shake well the can and start spraying the paint with a uniform thin layer and let it dry, then apply the second and third layer (if necessary). Remember that instead of a thick layer of paint, it is better to apply two thin ones.
- To increase the durability of the paint and to facilitate its application, it is desirable to first coat the surface with a primer.
Шаг 5. Покрываем поверхность матовым or глянцевым лаком, который сделает новое покрытие более прочным и влагостойким.
Method 5. Hand-painted (+ video lesson)
Ручная роспись способна превратить холодильник в уникальный арт-объект or просто в очень симпатичный и «одушевленный» предмет интерьера. Расписать технику можно красками и кистями, специальными акриловыми маркерами or аэрографами.
Сложные композиции лучше доверять профессионалам, ну а своими руками вы можете нарисовать простой рисунок, воспользоваться трафаретом or малярным скотчем (для создания полос). Вот большая подборка фото простых идей росписи холодильника, которые под силу реализовать даже новичку.
Painting a refrigerator with a stencil
Painting a refrigerator with a paint tape
From this video tutorial you will learn how to decorate an old refrigerator with your own hands using a stencil in the form of a lace tablecloth.
Method 6. Decoupage (+ master class)
Декупаж – это простой и отличный способ обновить старый холодильник, адаптировать его под интерьер кухни в деревенском or традиционном стиле, дополнить ручную роспись or оформление молдингами.
Decor of the refrigerator in the technique of decoupage
Decoupage of the refrigerator type Side by side
Decoupage of the refrigerator
Decoupage of the refrigerator в стиле гжель
The idea of decoupling the refrigerator with your own hands
To decouple the refrigerator you will need:
- Multilayer napkins with the desired print, and preferably special cards for decoupage (they can be large in size, and the drawings themselves are already made up in the composition);
- PVA glue;
- Brushes: flat squirrels (for decoupage and varnishing) and thin synthetic (for drawing details);
- Pencil (for layout and sketch);
- Acrylic paints;
- Лак акриловый (матовый, глянцевый or с эффектом кракелюра).
Шаг 1. Подготовьте поверхность: обезжирьте спиртовым раствором, если планируете клеить рисунок на фабричную отделку, or покрасьте холодильник в желаемый цвет и дождитесь пока краска высохнет.
Step 2. Separate the layer with a pattern and scissors from the napkin and cut out the desired element along the contour. Cut as many pieces as necessary.
Step 3. Start gluing the first drawing: glue it to the wrong side, attach it to the desired place, then gently smooth the bubbles and creases with a brush, remove excess glue with a damp rag with tumbling motions. Next, glue all the other blanks, moving from the center to the edges, beginning with large ones and ending with small elements.
- Before sticking the napkins, it is desirable to mark the surface of the door.
Step 4. When the whole composition is formed, draw fine details and outlines.
Шаг 5. Нанесите на рисунок матовый or глянцевый лак в два слоя и более, чтобы придать ему большую прочность и влагостойкость.
Более подробный мастер-класс по декупажу холодильника в стиле provence смотрите в этом видео.
Method 7. Registration of moldings and "carved" details (+ master class)
If your kitchen is decorated in a classic style, then you can enter into its interior a stand-alone refrigerator that will help you a grandiose project of converting a refrigerator into ... an old buffet.
View of the old refrigerator before and after the alteration
What you need for decor:
- Молдинги из дерева or ПВХ;
- Резной мебельный декор из дерева/ПВХ or лепнина из гипса/полиуретана в форме короны, а также узорчатые уголки (по возможности);
- Saw for cutting moldings;
- Glue for metal.
What you need for painting:
- Adhesive primer;
- Меловая краска белого цвета (можно сделать своими руками по рецептам из Интернета or купить, скажем, у дизайнера Дарьи Геллер);
- Paint color of the primary color;
- Brush for painting, 1 round brush 8-7 cm in diameter (useful both for painting and waxing), flat brush medium (for wax);
- Wax of dark color (can be replaced with a mixture of colorless wax with a dark brown paint);
- Wax is colorless;
- Painting accessories: film, paint tape, etc.
Step 1. Remove the gloss from the surfaces with a sandpaper, clean and degrease it with alcohol solution.
Step 2. We make the marking and paste the carved details: crown, moldings, corners.
Step 3. We paint the refrigerator with white paint in two layers, letting each layer dry.
Step 4. Now, with a large circular brush, cross-dressing roughly blur the refrigerator into the base color in one layer. So you will achieve the effect of rubbing.
- The pens need to either be removed and put up with their absence, or painted too.
- На этом этапе декор и плинтусы можно покрасить краской основного цвета or белого/золотого/серебряного (в этом случае краска попадет за пределы декора, но это не страшно).
Шаг 5. Наносим бесцветный воск на плинтусы и декор при помощи сукна or кисти, даем ему впитаться и высохнуть, затем втираем излишек бумажной салфеткой.
Step 6. Now, with a brush, apply a dark wax to the decor and skirting, then rub it and remove the excess with paper napkins, achieving the desired effect of antiquity.
In places where the wax appears too dark, apply a little colorless wax and wipe the surface with a paper towel.
Step 7. Now, treat the entire refrigerator with the same large round brush with a colorless wax (you do not need to wash it from the remnants of the paint!). When the wax dries, clean the excess with a napkin. Done!
In this collection of photos you can draw similar ideas of the refrigerator decorations with moldings and carvings.
Method 8. Decoration with self-adhesive film
Converting the refrigerator to a self-adhesive film is a budget and simple alternative to photo printing and painting. All you need to do in order to change the design of the refrigerator: degrease the surface and remove the handles, glue the film, simultaneously leveling it with a sharp, flat object, then wrap it around the edges, trim the excess and return the handles to the place.
- Unfortunately, the self-adhesive film, unlike the photoprinting film, does not have a layer of lamination and quickly wears away. In addition, it falls worse on uneven and rounded surfaces.