Art deco in the interior arose in the postwar period. The beginning of the 20s. XX century. It was marked by the aspiration of representatives of the higher classes of America and Europe to beauty and luxury after a severe military period. Remember the movie "The Great Gatsby" - it is this movie that best reflects the aesthetics of art deco. The name of the style comes from the name of the Paris exhibition in 1925 "Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes", at which the achievements of this new direction in art were presented for the first time.
The style of art deco embodied the spirit of scientific progress (the appearance of electricity), the process of cognition of the world (the eclectic style - the mixture of Western canons with Asian and African motifs), humanity's craving for beauty (luxury, refinement, decorative load).
For interior design this style is characterized by the following:
- Mixing decorative motifs of Antiquity, Africa and Egypt, China and Japan with European traditions;
- Functionality and practicality together with accentuated luxury;
- Geometry of patterns and design solutions: stripes, trapezoids, steps, zigzags, curved lines;
- Graphic: frames and contours are the basis of style formation, geometry reigns both in the design of furniture, and in the decoration of walls, floor, ceiling, decorative elements.
Art deco style is a style for those who appreciate exquisite luxury, originality and at the same time comfort and functionality.
Art Deco in a large and small kitchen
The luxurious interior of the kitchen in the style of art deco implies a large space in which there is enough space for sophisticated textiles and decor, smart finishes and furniture. Therefore, the most effective style of art deco is realized in spacious kitchens with an island, kitchens combined with a dining room or living room. See the photo, scroll to the right.
However, in a small kitchen, and in a modest kitchen-living room in a studio apartment, you can realize design ideas in the spirit of the jazz era. In this case, the interior should be dominated by light neutral tones, the decor should be used in moderation, and for a visual increase in space, you can use mirrors - the most recognizable attribute of the Art Deco style. In the photo below, the interior of the small kitchen-living room is decorated with a large mirror above the bar counter.
And here are even medium-sized kitchens with elements of art deco style - chairs, chandeliers and a characteristic color scheme.
How to withstand the style?
There are several basic rules for decorating the kitchen in this style:
- Art deco in the interior of the kitchen is appropriate only in a high-quality version using mostly natural materials: mahogany, dark and rare woods, metals (bronze, brass, gilding, silver, chrome steel), stones (preferably polished), mother-of-pearl, crystal, leather, luxurious ceramics and glass.
- Art deco is functional, so the working and dining areas should be clearly marked. Zoning space can be done by arranging furniture, light sources, decor and decoration materials.
- Chairs, table, cabinets - all pieces of furniture should be predominantly of strict geometric shapes, but not modest in decor. For example, chairs can be upholstered in leather or jacquard.
- Characteristic a color scheme: neutral background (beige, gray, silver, white) and bright contrasts of furniture and decor (brown, gold, black) or a recognizable combination of black and white.
- "Framework" should be present in the design of cabinets, upholstery of chairs, paintings or mirrors on the walls.
- Glitter and gloss are the true signs of the era of "jazz modern". Shining can chandelier, furniture, chrome or bronze surfaces of household appliances, glass in furniture and decoration.
Art deco style does not accept:
- Abundance of soft, smooth lines and circles.
- Substandard finishing materials and furniture - avoid unnecessary "props" and unreliable imitations. If the countertop of artificial stone can adequately replace the surface of natural material, then the top of the chipboard with the imitation of granite - is unlikely.
Decorating and decoration
- The ideal solution from an aesthetic and practical point of view - floor tiles, stone or porcelain stoneware. The color of the floor should be combined with the color of the walls, but not necessarily repeat. The contrasting dark floor will fit in the interior very organically. The chess order is also appropriate: black and white squares and laying rhombuses with contrasting inserts.
- Ceiling может быть как ровным, так и многоуровневым. Украсить потолок можно при помощи встроенных spot lights or thin stucco borders on the perimeter of the room.
- The main decoration of the ceiling - chandeliers in the style of art deco: massive, ornate, often - crystal or forged. Chandelier can be one (in the center or above the dining area), it is acceptable and the combination of a central chandelier with spot lighting or the placement of several small identical chandeliers over the dining table.
- It is appropriate to use a mirror ceiling.
- Walls могут быть оформлены обоями или плиткой с характерным для стиля арт деко принтом, камнем или краской.
- The wallpaper can be either monophonic, or with geometric patterns, ornaments, African animalistic motifs, striped.
- The main emphasis can be placed on paintings or some other decorative elements.
- It is appropriate to combine finishing materials: paint and wallpaper, wallpapers and ceramic tiles, tiles and paint.
- Working area, i.e. an apron is made out with tiles or paint - materials that can be washed, the rest of the room is decorated with wallpaper (or paint).
- Pictures or photographs on the walls are placed stepwise, pyramidally or diagonally.
- Заменить paintings можно зеркалами в рамках в виде солнц или светильниками.
Furniture and household appliances
- Furniture in the style of art deco is made of wood, glass and / or metal. Glass inserts and fabric or leather upholstery for upholstered furniture are appropriate.
- The use of functional and at the same time original furniture is welcomed: chair-barrels, mobile little tables-islets from metal and glass, bar counters with elegant bar stools.
- If the dining area is a significant space, then the dining table can be a massive, sheltered tablecloth of silk, and the chairs will be exquisite - with curved legs, trapezoidal or oval back.
- Kitchen sets can be neutral colors (light wood, ivory, beige, etc.) or contrast (silver, black and white, dark brown).
The photo nets design art deco kitchens in MDF in "Zebrano" flower.
- The facades of the cabinets are deaf, they hide home appliances. Some, for example, mezzanine top cabinets, can have glass doors - these are display cases with elegant porcelain utensils.
- The facades can be glossy, as in the photo below.
- Design in this style is inconceivable without a lot of various fixtures: chandeliers, sconces, dot lights, furniture lighting cabinets and shelves.
- In addition to central lighting, it is appropriate to highlight the pictures, photographs or mirrors that adorn the walls.
- Organically they will look geometric lamps in the Art Nouveau style, sconces in the form of rhombuses, trapezoids, pyramids.
- The central chandelier can be made in a classical style - a tribute to modernism: forging and crystal, pendants, massive shape, refinement, imitation candles. In addition to such a chandelier, wall lamps that mimic candelabra will be appropriate.
- Lamps are better to choose a warm spectrum.
- As already noted, solid wallpaper neutral shades - the perfect background for placing accessories: mirrors, pictures, photos. To emphasize the accessories of these accessories to the art deco style, you need to purchase the appropriate frames and frames: sun, trapezium, multi-level steps.
- The eclectic style is reflected in the use of vases in shape resembling Chinese or Ancient Greek, with stylized images of the sun and geometric patterns. It is also appropriate to use textiles with animal print (primarily zebra skin), images of exotic landscapes and decorating the room living plants (in particular with palm trees).
- Figurines of the athletes, ancient Greek heroes and heroines will also be appropriate.
The interior of the kitchen in the style of art deco is a bizarre combination of concise and chic, functional and decorated, when all the details from the design of chairs to textiles should be thought out and complete.