Open apertures instead of doors are a great way to visually enlarge a small kitchen, combining it with a hallway / living room / balcony, while preserving the separation of zones. To ennoble the appearance of the U-shaped opening, you can make it arch.
Attention: the majority of variants of re-planning with a change in the size or configuration of openings need to be coordinated in the bodies of housing supervision.
Variations and design of arch
The arch between the kitchen and the living room / hallway can be very different in form - from simple round to complex hyperbolic in the oriental style. But the most universal and widespread types of arches are the following:
Classical Romanesque, when the arch arc smoothly passes into the walls of the aperture
This form fits nicely into narrow and small passages, so it is more often used for kitchen remodeling in the Khrushchev and other typical houses and in those cases when an arch is made on the basis of the existing doorway.
As you can see, arched openings will be appropriate not only in classical interiors, but also in modern ones. But examples of wide Roman arches instead of doors in the interior of the kitchen:
English (arched), when the arch has angles at the base of the arc
This option is more suitable for wide openings and is often supplemented with additional wall decor. For narrow niches, the arch's arch form instead of the door is also good, as it will visually make it wider. Examples of design kitchens with the arch arch look in the next selection of photos (leaf).
Arched opening in the form of a half-ellipse, when the arc is almost flattened from above
This form is also suitable for the design of both small and wide openings. Visually makes the opening wider.
The opening in the form of a trapezium is much easier to make by oneself than a round arch, and it is also more suitable for kitchen design in country style.
The design of the arch depends not only on the shape, but also on its decoration and frame.
- For small kitchens (например, в тех же хрущевках) свод лучше оставить без обрамления и ограничиться только чистовой отделкой обоями или штукатуркой. На фото ниже представлен пример лаконичного дизайна арочного проема в интерьере small kitchens.
- If you still decided to make the arch more interesting, then try to avoid the contrasting frame, so as not to "overload" the kitchen and the living room / hallway / dining room. It is much better to look the finish in the tone of the walls as shown in the following photo.
- If the opening is wide, then in the choice of the design of the arch you are limited only by the general style of the interior. You can decorate the arch not only with ready-made or custom-made arched moldings, but also with artificial / natural brick, stone, mosaic, pilasters, columns.
But the photo-examples of the design of arches with glazing, which are made to order.
How to make an arched hole with your own hands for 7 steps from the GKL
To make an arches of plasterboard with your own hands, you will need 1-2 days off and the following materials.
- Screwdriver or screwdriver;
- Scissors / hacksaw for metal or Bulgarian - will be needed to give the profiles a round shape;
- Electric jigsaw or hacksaw - are needed for cutting gypsum board;
- Needle roller;
- Kapron cord / wooden ruler and pencil or engineering compass - for drawing a template of the arch of the correct form on the principle of a compass.
- GKL 12.5 mm - for two sides of the arch shell;
- The strip of arch GKL (6.5 mm) or usual (12.5 mm or 9 mm) - for the end of the arch;
- Metal starting profiles UD27 and, if necessary, strengthen the arch body profile CD 60;
- Camorezy with dowels;
- All that is needed for plastering: serpian, finishing plaster coat, primer, etc.
To make the arch do not seem to you to be anything complicated, we broke the whole process into 7 steps.
- Carefully dismantle the old door and its box. If necessary, increase the height / width of the opening with a manual diamond saw or wall saw if the thickness of the partition is thicker than 20 cm.
- К дверному проему крепим каркас из профилей с помощью саморезов и анкерных дюбелей (идут в комплекте). For этого сначала профиль (UD 27) ножом по металлу разрезаем на три части следующих размеров: 1 часть = ширина проема, 2 части = высота арки. Длинный профиль крепим к «потолку» ниши, а короткие - к стенам как показано на фото. Затем эти же действия повторяем для другой стороны.
- Profiles should be mounted with an indent from the edge of the wall / ceiling equal to the thickness of the GCR;
- Mounting step - 10 cm.
- Приступаем к изготовлению корпуса арки из гипсокартона. For этого нужно нарисовать шаблон в натуральную величину на ватмане и затем по нему вырезать корпус арки. Второй способ – сначала вырезать из ГКЛ прямоугольник нужной ширины и высоты, а потом очертить дугу прямо по нему по принципу циркуля - с помощью карандаша и шнура/планки как показано на фото ниже. Излишек отрезаем и получившуюся деталь обводим как лекало на втором листе гипсокартона. Две половинки свода готовы.
Drawing an arc by the circular principle
- The easiest way is to cut out the GCR with an electric jigsaw, but if it's not there - a hacksaw or saw on the plasterboard will help.
Arch for GKL arches
- Now it's time to mount the two parts of the arch to the frame with the help of screws, sinking them flush (in level) with gypsum boards in 10 cm steps.
- After installation, make sure that both parts are level and correspond to each other in level. If necessary, their levels can be equalized using a plane for drywall.
- Далее нам нужно сделать и закрепить торцевую полосу. Торец вырежем позже, а пока сделаем основу для его монтажа из тех же профилей. For этого их нужно сделать гибкими, чтобы они могли принять форму дуги. Отмеряем нужную длину направляющих, а потом надрезаем их бортики с шагом в 2-5 см в зависимости от крутизны изгиба.
Preparing a profile for fastening to an arch
Now we screw the resulting arched profiles from the inside to the body of the arch.
- In case the arch is deep (more than 60 cm), at this stage it is necessary to additionally install jumpers inside it, so that the arch turns out to be strong and rigid. Jumpers can be made from the rack profile of CD-60 and even "bars" of polystyrene foam;
- If the pier walls are too narrow, then the end strip is fixed with glue.
- Finally, cut out the end strip of the desired length and width.
- If you bought a flexible arched gypsum board, then you just need to fix it to the profiles, gently right during the installation giving it the right bend;
- The usual drywall should be treated: first it is easy to walk the needle roller from the marked side (!) Along the entire length of the strip, evenly soak with water using a brush or a sponge, and then put the strip so that it can bend under its own weight and take a round shape. This process can last 2-12 hours, you need to wait until the drywall looks dry, but more flexible. Of course, testing the band for flexibility should be carefully.
To fasten the end strip to the arch, you need just as you fastened the parts earlier, that is, putting the screws into a level with gypsum board and keeping the step of 10 cm.
- Well, that's all, it remains only to trim the arch - plaster, and then dye, plaster decorative plaster, wallpapered, framed with a finished MDF / wood arch or a natural / artificial stone, brick, mosaic.
For more information on how to properly plaster the arch of plasterboard with your own hands, see this video instruction:
How to make an arch with the help of a "padded" interior arch with a rectangular vault
The easiest and most profitable way to make a rectangular opening with your own hands and at the same time to frame it is simply to buy and install an enclosed interior arch with a rectangular vault as in the pictures below.
- Sometimes the arch of the arch framework requires an increase in the height and expansion of the rectangular opening. Another disadvantage is that the frame of the structure will be visible;
- It is not always possible to find a ready-made arch in the right size and shape.
An example of what an inter-room arch looks like between a kitchen and a living room in a classic interior is presented in the following photo.
On how you can assemble and install a ready-made arch structure with your own hands, you can look in the following video instruction: