In recent years, the arches between the kitchen and the room are in fashion. It is stylish, beautiful and functional: the arched opening allows you to make the room visually more spacious, adds light and air.
A lot of design solutions allow you to choose the right arch for any interior. In addition, the arch is easy to install by yourself - a significant bonus for those who want to do repairs themselves.
How to make an arch in the kitchen: highlights
Deciding on the design of the kitchen without a door, it must be remembered that the arch should be impeccable in approaching the basic design. Otherwise, it may seem ridiculous and spoil the impression of design.
Much depends on the style of the room: for classical cuisine it is better to choose wooden or plasterboard with stucco model.
At the same time, for modern kitchens in the style of loft or hi-tech, we recommend the use of plastic, stone or painted plasterboard.
Before choosing an arch to the kitchen, we advise you to familiarize yourself with the general recommendations:
- If you put an arch between the kitchen and the living room, make sure that the kitchen area is sufficiently powerful hood. Otherwise, the smells of cooking food will pass unobstructed into the room.
- For small rooms it is better to confine the semi-arch with a minimum of decorative elements.
- The decorative arch looks good in high premises - if the ceilings are below three meters, it is better to stop at the usual door.
- If you put an arch between the kitchen and the corridor, well think over the lighting. Often for a narrow corridor and kitchen are selected different types of arrangement of lamps.
- Make sure that the rooms connected by the arch are made in the same style - otherwise the general appearance may look ridiculous.
Why do we need arches?
In addition to purely aesthetic properties, arches are often set because of their functional characteristics:
- In a small kitchen, the arch serves as an additional source of light;
- In small kitchens, where each square centimeter in price, a decorative arch allows you to save precious space;
- The arch prevents air stagnation and allows you to quickly ventilate the kitchen;
- In the studio apartment, the arch is a great way to zonate the room without its redevelopment;
- Modern arches look very stylish, fulfilling the role of a decorative element;
- Even a typical layout using the arch looks unusual.
However, do not forget about the shortcomings of arches: they miss smells and noise, requires maintaining the ideal order in the kitchen area. Because of these shortcomings, opponents of the arches argue that it is more convenient to put the usual door.
What is better - a door or an arch?
It is impossible to answer this question unequivocally. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the detailed table to draw conclusions yourself.
|Ventilation||Arch предотвращает застаивание воздуха на кухне, однако она не препятствует распространению запахов по квартире.||A tight door requires a good hood, but helps to completely avoid odors in other rooms.|
|Soundproofing||Does not hold back the noise, so it is not suitable for apartments with children.||A quality door can significantly reduce the noise level.|
|Ergonomics||Arched opening does not take place.||The door frame takes up to 20 centimeters of usable space.|
|Restrictions on operation||It is not allowed in kitchens with gas stoves.||There are no restrictions.|
|Visual Properties||Makes the room more spacious and taller.||They depend on models.|
Important! To install the arch, you must completely remove the entire doorway. So, you will have long and "dirty" repairs.
As you can see, it is impossible to give a clear answer. It all depends on your preferences. Therefore, we advise you to think carefully about the timing of the installation of the arch and if you decide that the pros outweigh the minuses - go to the next section.
Types of arches
An important aspect of choice is the shape of the arch to the kitchen. It can both visually make the room more spacious, and narrow it down, spoiling the entire design idea. Therefore, we recommend to study the popular types of arches, so as not to be mistaken in the design.
The most popular type is the classical Romanesque, the same semicircular arch. Thanks to a soft rounding, it fits perfectly into the design of small rooms, for example, for a kitchen combined with a corridor.
Another of its advantages - the possibility of mounting the arch directly on the doorway, without dismantling it.
Wide Romanesque arches are ideal for studio apartments and spacious kitchens combined with living rooms.
Arc arch (English) with sharp angles at the bases of the arc is more often used for wide openings. Its slightly irregular shape serves as an additional element of decor and looks good in large kitchens. Examples of such arches look at the photo.
Form semi pollissa - a real find for those who want to place a small arch. It visually makes the opening wider, and the room - more. Such arches are well placed in hruschevkah - the kitchen will seem much more spacious.
And here trapezoidal arch will not look at a small kitchen - it needs space. The complex shape looks great in spacious rooms, but small visually narrows. Therefore, they are more often used in private homes.
Rectangular arches perfect for the kitchen in Khrushchev - they look great in any size, and due to the simplicity of the form do not hide the space.
We recommend to choose arches not only based on personal preferences, but also taking into account the configuration of the room.
How to decorate the arch in the kitchen
However, the correct form is not all. Much depends on how you decorate the archway. From what to do the arch, how and what to decorate - these issues are better to solve even at the stage of the design project. Consider the most popular materials for decorating kitchen arches.
Most often modern designers use plasterboard. Inexpensive material that can take any shape and color is the ideal solution for decorating interior arches. It is quite easy to fit, but serves up to fifteen years.
Из минусов plasterboardа - его невысокая прочность. Однако визуальные свойства и низкая цена компенсируют этот недостаток.
Less commonly arches of stone or wood. Such designs are much more expensive and require special knowledge and experience. They look impressive, but they do not fit every apartment - it is unlikely that the masonry or arch to the kitchen bricks will look good in a small Khrushchev.
Another fashionable material - plastic. Он обойдется дороже plasterboardа, однако значительно прочнее и проще в уходе. Пластиковые арки сейчас применяют даже в классических дизайнах - правильное окрашивание позволяет замаскировать их под любой материал.
How to close the arch?
Even if you decided to combine a room or a corridor with a kitchen using an arch, you may need to temporarily close it. In this case, you have several options.
The most popular - the usual curtains. Choose the type that fits your interior. However, curtains are not very practical - the fabric absorbs odors, and therefore needs constant washing.
Более функциональны plasticовые или деревянные жалюзи, вертикальные или горизонтальные. В зависимости от формы они могут визуально сделать помещение выше или шире, а в сложенном виде практически незаметны.
Alternatively, roll or Roman curtains, which fold into a small compact roller, and, if necessary, unfold.
A fashionable reception is the glazing of the arch. Sliding glass panels, if necessary, act as doors, closing the arch.
Advice! Such panels are suitable if you want to install an arch to the kitchen with a gas stove. Nominally they can be considered a door.
How to make an arch yourself
One of the advantages of arched openings is the possibility to install the arch independently, without resorting to the services of a specialist. We offer you a step-by-step instruction, which clearly explains how to make an arch instead of a door.
Important! Если вы делаете это первый раз, лучше начинать работать с plasterboardными арками. Камень, дерево и plastic гораздо сложнее в установке.
First, decide on the form. If you are not confident in your abilities, choose a standard semi-circular or rectangular arch.
You will need:
- Sawing on metal;
- Electric jigsaw;
- Wooden ruler;
- Engineering compasses.
In addition, you need to pre-purchase the materials:
- Gypsum boards 12.5 mm thick. They will go to the frame of the arch;
- Полоса арочного plasterboardного листа для торца арки;
- Metal profiles;
- Self-tapping screws and dowels;
- Primer and putty;
- Finishing putty and, if necessary, paint.
After making sure that you have everything you need, get to work. First, dismantle the old door and the box. If you want to expand the opening, do it with a wall saw.
Important! The thickness of the walls should be at least 20 centimeters! Otherwise, the extension is not allowed.
- Proceed to fasten the arched frame. To do this, cut the profile into three pieces using a metal knife in the following ratio: 1 part should be equal to the width of the opening, two - the height of the planned arch.
- The longest profile is fixed at the highest point of the niche, the rest - on the walls. Similarly, we establish a framework on the other side of the arch.
- Монтируйте профили с отступом, равным толщине plasterboardному листу. Шаг крепления - 10-12 сантиметров.
- На ватмане сделайте шаблон вашей арки. Используйте инженерный циркуль для закругленных форм. Вырежьте шаблон, затем по нему раскроите plasterboard.
- Important: Make sure that all parts are symmetrical, otherwise the arch will turn out to be uneven.
- Используйте электролобзик или ножовку для раскроя plasterboardа.
- Proceed directly to the installation. Using self-tapping screws, install the elements of your future arch, checking regularly whether they are symmetrical in level. If at some point you see an error, trim the arch.
- Make a base for the butt of the profiles. Measure out the required length (considering the bend!), And then cut the sides of the profile at intervals of 2-5 centimeters, depending on the desired level of bending.
- Carefully cut out the end strip of the required dimensions. Fasten it to the profiles, gradually giving the desired bend.
- Your arch is almost ready! All you need is an alignment and a putty. If desired, you can paint or decorate the arch at your discretion.
How to make an arch in the kitchen with your own hands (video)
Видео с пошаговой инструкцией, как сделать арку из plasterboardа своими руками.