Hanging blinds in the kitchen you can:
- Curtain the windows, hiding the kitchen from prying eyes, while obscuring the room exactly as much as you wish.
For those who plan to decorate the windows in the kitchen with this kind of curtains, we made a step-by-step guide on the choice of blinds, including ways to check their quality in the store and installation, and also collected 45 photo blinds in modern interiors.
Step 1. Horizontal or vertical?
First you need to decide what kind of blinds you need - horizontal and vertical?
- Horizontal blinds are blinds with lamellas (the slats of which consist of curtains), located horizontally. Accordingly, they can not only close-open, but also descend and rise up and down. Horizontal blinds come in different sizes and can be made of: plastic, aluminum, wood or bamboo. We'll talk more about this later.
Cons: Unfortunately, the design of horizontal models is less robust and convenient to manage than vertical curtains - their slats are often broken, creaky, "noisy" in the wind, etc.
Pros: in this category blinds have more choice in terms of materials - from economical plastic models to sound wooden ones. Like all horizontal lines, the slats of such curtains visually expand the space. In addition, you can select models that are installed directly on the sash of the window. Well, if your kitchen is designed in classical or Mediterranean style, in the style of eco, provence or country, the horizontal curtains will very organically fit into its interior.
- Vertical blinds are curtains, the slats of which hang down from the top. At the top of the lamellae are fixed to the cornice, and from the bottom are connected by a chain. Vertical blinds can only be made of fabric or fiberglass. They can open from the right-left, left-to-right or from the center in both directions.
Pros: The main advantage of vertical curtains is that they are made of fabric, and therefore look much better than plastic or aluminum models. You can choose the most different designs and decors of slats, moreover, you can change them yourself by mood or necessity. There are even multifactural blinds, decorated and assembled in the form of an arch or ladder. On the choice of design of the blinds we'll talk a little lower, but for now let's note other important advantages of horizontal models - this is their strength, practicality and durability. Such blinds do not deform from the wind, they are easy to control, almost do not get dirty and do not burn out.
Pleasant bonuses: vertical slats visually lift the low ceilings of the kitchen and less "rustle" in the wind and during assembly. The next photo slider features vertical blinds in the interior of the kitchen and dining room.
Step 2. Select the material
As a rule, horizontal slats can be made of:
- Plastic - plastic curtains are lightest in weight, unpretentious in care, are cheaper than any other types of curtains, but they break very quickly and eventually burn out or completely deform due to overheating from sunlight. Their service life is usually only 1 season. In addition, plastic curtains have a little "office" appearance, however, modern PVC blinds can simulate the texture and color of the tree;
- Aluminum - if you choose blinds in the kitchen, then pay attention to this version of the curtains. Yes, aluminum curtains are more expensive than plastic and fabric, they are more "noisy" and many associate with office curtains, but they are much stronger, durable and easier to care for, moisture and fire resistant, do not burn out in the sun;
- The tree is the most expensive, but also the most beautiful version of the blinds. Wooden lamellas will be eco-friendly, relatively durable, but still fire dangerous and slightly more whimsical in care;
- Bamboo - Bamboo blinds are lighter in maintenance and practical than wooden ones. They look good and disperse the light, they are cheaper, but over time they are stretched slightly under their own weight.
But from what materials you can choose horizontal blinds:
- From the fabric - this is an excellent option for blinds in the kitchen, because they are, first, beautiful, and secondly, practical and durable due to their design and material. The fact is that the fabric lamella is treated with a special impregnation (acrylic or polyvinylchloride) so that the fabric is not covered with dust, does not absorb odors, grease and domestic pollution, does not burn out in the sun and was stronger. Fabric blinds are very easy to wear out, less "noisy" in the wind, if desired, lamellas can be changed independently and even correct their height. The design of fabric curtains is unlimited - they can be with a pattern, a pattern, photo printing, have a different texture, color and decor. Modern fabric blinds can be multilevel, lining a ladder or an arch.
- From fiberglass (fiberglass) - this is an alternative version of fabric blinds, also perfectly suited for the kitchen. In terms of fire safety, they are even better than textile ones, since fiberglass does not burn in the fire, but it does not burn with any harmful substances and smoke, because it is a completely ecological material that, unlike woven lamellae, is not impregnated. Another feature - they need to be cleaned only by a dry method.
- Multifactural blinds are multi-level vertical curtains made of woven and decorative plastic slats in the upper part, which in their appearance resemble an arch, a curtain or a lambrequin. The lower part of the slats of multifaceted curtains can be made from fabrics of any kind.
But keep in mind that the fabric blinds (without impregnation) can only be cleaned in a dry way, and it is better to entrust the complex soiling to a dry cleaner. Therefore, such curtains are more suitable for dining rooms and living rooms. In terms of interior design on the one hand - it's an excellent choice, because you can make a combination that fits exactly to your interior. But on the other hand, too complex design of multi-curtains can overload the space and quickly get bored.
As for the choice of cornice, everything is simple:
- Choose the cornices better with an aluminum casing, rather than a plastic one.
Step 3. Choose the design and color of curtains
To choose the design of curtains it is necessary proceeding from color scale of an interior. In this case, keep in mind that the design of the window in the interior of the kitchen can play a role:
- Accent - then the curtains are chosen in contrast or bright colors, they can have a drawing, photo printing, an interesting texture and different levels. Most often, this option is only permissible if the entire interior of the kitchen is decorated with restraint, in other cases - such self-sufficient curtains must be chosen with care.
- A balancing or neutral element of the decor - in this case the curtains are selected in basic white, cream, gray, beige or in the tone of the kitchen walls.
You can choose curtains in the color of dishes, decor and kitchen textiles - tablecloths, upholstery, pillows on chairs, napkins, etc. as shown in the photo below.
And, of course, you need to consider the style of the kitchen interior. So, in the kitchen in the style of classic, country or provence will be appropriate horizontal wooden or aluminum blinds, reminiscent of trellised window shutters.
In the photo below, an example of how you can beat vertical blinds in a classic interior.
And in modern interiors in the style of minimalism, high-tech, modern, etc., any blinds will be appropriate.
If the blinds seem too boring and stiff, then you can combine them with ordinary curtains, lambrequins, curtains as shown in the photo.
Step 4. Choose the size of the curtains and the method of attachment
Before going to the store or before ordering the blinds, you need to do window measurements to understand what sizes the future curtains should be. The dimensions of the blinds, and therefore the price of them, depend on how you want to install them:
- On the rock;
- On the ceiling;
- In the window aperture.
In the first two cases, everything is simple - we measure the size of the window, if it is standard, then most likely you can buy standard size blinds in the store. The standard dimensions are 1.60 cm or 1.80 cm in length (it can be adjusted), and 100, 110, 120, 130 and 140 cm in width.
- The width of your window should be 10 cm, and preferably 20 cm less than the width of the blind.
- For non-standard windows, for example, very small, panoramic or very high, the blinds need to be ordered in specialized stores.
- The height of the blinds should be such that their lower edge in loose form lagged behind the floor or the window sill by 2 cm.
If you want to install the blinds in the kitchen in the window niche as in the photo above, then look for the blinds 1-2 cm wider than the width of the window opening.
But the video as you can manually change the height of the blinds:
- As for the dimensions of the slats themselves, their width is standard: for vertical slats it is 8, 9 or 12.7 cm, and for horizontal slats - 16, 25 or 50 mm.
Step 5. Test the quality of the blinds in the store
If you plan to buy blinds in the kitchen in the store, then you will have the opportunity to check the quality of the display cases:
- First try to quickly collect and dissolve the curtains 10-15 times. If the mechanism does not creak and grind, it opens smoothly, and the lamellas have never turned over during the whole test, these are excellent blinds. Then you can continue testing - swipe horizontally (in expanded, but closed) handle from the bottom up - quality assembled lamellas will not be turned over and stalled. Otherwise, blinds in closed form will let light in and not close properly-open;
- Horizontal fabric blinds can also be checked: try to open them quickly-close them 10-15 times, turn the lamellas in different directions - if the mechanism starts to seize, and the lamellas are not exactly folded, then it is better to refuse such curtains. The quality mechanism of the blinds will work smoothly, without grinding, and the lamellas will be assembled evenly and synchronously.
By the way, keep in mind that good blinds can be found in domestic manufacturers for a low price, and bad ones can be found in expensive European brands, the price for which, in addition, rose in 2015.
Step 6. Installing the blinds
The installation of blinds with their own hands is a topic for a separate material, although it is not so difficult to fasten them. In the next video, you can clearly see how to install horizontal blinds directly on the window. Detailed instructions read in our material: Installation of blinds for 1 hour - step by step instructions for all types of curtains.