In the window decoration, the cornice plays no less important role than the curtains themselves. For those who have to solve the window question, we have prepared a small overview of all types of structures, tips on how to choose the cornice for the length, diameter and design, as well as a selection of video instructions for self-installation.
We make measurements
Before choosing the curtain rod for the curtains in the kitchen, you need to measure the width of the window opening and calculate the length of the cornice using the following formula:
- The standard length of the cornice (when mounted to the ceiling or wall) = width of the window opening + 30-50 cm.
- The length of the cornice for installation inside the window niche = the width between the two walls of the window niche - (minus) the thickness of the fasteners.
By the way, with the help of a longer or shorter cornice, you can level out the shortcomings of the window in the kitchen.
- Too narrow a window will appear wider if you hang the cornice more authentic;
- Too wide a window can be reduced by selecting the cornice exactly along its width.
Guide to the types of cornices
Stained glass (telescopic)
Description: A small round or rectangular cornice, which is adjustable in length and fastened to the window frame. Suitable for stained glass curtains "hourglass" (pictured below) and curtains-cafe.
In which cases it is recommended: this type of cornice is ideal for classical interior, as well as for cuisine in the style of provence, country, cheby chic. Stained-glass curtains (respectively, and the cornice too) is just a find if the window is a sink.
Made of: metal or plastic.
Fastening: the slats can be fixed to the frame on self-adhesive hooks, on the screws-crutches and on small brackets-holders (in the photo below). Most often telescopic cornices go to the pocket of the curtains, but if desired they can be hung on rings, hinges and clothespins.
Mounting the telescopic cornice on the window frame
Description: round cornice, performing not only practical, but also decorative function, as curtains do not close it. Depending on your design and weight of curtains, you can choose a bar diameter from 16 to 35 mm. And how to choose a cornice, suitable in length? There are three solutions:
- Buy the product in a specialized curtain shop, where you will cut the cornice of the required length to order.
- Buy a sliding bar and adjust its length by yourself.
- Buy the whole bar with a margin of length and be shortened with a stool or a hacksaw on its own.
- Buy two cornices of the same diameter and length, connect them with a special connector and, if necessary, shorten both bars.
The edges of the rod are necessarily covered with decorative tips.
In which cases it is recommended: This type of cornice is the most traditional and versatile. Cornices made of wood and wrought iron are suitable for interiors in the style of Provence and country. In the kitchen in the classical style, there will be organic cornices made of bronze metal (pictured above), brass, antique gold, etc. with tips in the form of cones, arrows or balls. For a modern interior, chrome, white or black cornice with laconic tips is more likely.
Made of: wood, metal or plastic.
Fastening: Depending on the selected brackets, the bar can be hung not only to the wall, but also to the ceiling and between the walls. In addition, you can choose brackets for installing the eaves in two or three rows.
Further on the video there is a detailed master-class on installation of double-row rod cornice with their own hands.
Description: the tire cornice is a bar with grooves into which hooks for curtains are attached. Its peculiarity is that it is practically not visible above the curtains. Tires are two-row and three-row, their length is adjusted independently or is made up of two tires, in addition, they can be connected to rotary modules.
In which cases it is recommended: the tire cornice is especially relevant for wide windows, windows with access to the balcony, and also if you do not want to add curtains to any unnecessary details.
Made of: white plastic.
Fastening: the tires are fastened most often to the ceiling, but in combination with the brackets can be attached to the wall.
Below is a video-instruction how to hang a ceiling cornice.
Description: this is the same tire cornice, but supplemented with a decorative baguette of wood or plastic, imitating a tree, with elements of gilding, carvings and other decor. In the next photo you can see how this design can look in the interior of the kitchen.
Описание: Electric Guards - это профиль с крючками для подвешивания штор, оснащенный электроприводом, который позволяет управлять шторами вручную и дистанционно – через пульт, стационарную кнопку или даже через Iphone (система Умный дом). Такой карниз доступен для раздвижных и римских штор, японских панелей. Кроме того, электроприводом может быть оснащен гибкий карниз для окон сложных форм.
The price of cornices with an electric drive can vary greatly depending on the size of the cornice, the weight of the curtains (for example, the cornice for tulle will cost much less than for curtains), the type of control, the presence of a timer,
In which cases it is recommended: The eaves with the electric drive are especially relevant for hard-to-reach windows and windows of complex shape. And yet this technological cornice is simply created for the kitchen in the style of high-tech.
It is made of: metal (aluminum, steel) or plastic.
Fastening: the electric house can be fixed both to the ceiling and to the wall.
Description: a string cornice is a structure consisting of a steel cable (up to 8 mm in diameter) and two metal fasteners. It can be single row, double row and three row. In operation, the tension cornices are very convenient and simple.
In which cases it is recommended: string cornices perfectly fit into modern interiors and are particularly suitable for hanging light curtains and tulle.
It is made of: metal.
Mounting: can be installed to the ceiling or to the wall.
The photo below shows the popular string cornice Dignitet from Ikea.
Описание: этот тип можно назвать улучшенной версией профильного карниза за счет того, что профиль в данном случае оснащен системой рельс. Shovel карниз может быть дополнен багетом из пластика, имитирующим дерево, металл, лепнину и пр. Профиль без багета может быть выполнен в любом цвете – от античной бронзы до хрома.
It is made of: metal and plastic.
Fastening: can be fixed to the ceiling or to the wall.
Description: a profile that can bend, and with the help of special fasteners fix in the right direction.
In which cases it is recommended: Flexible cornices are designed for processing complex window openings (arched, pointed, angular or bay windows (pictured), as well as if the kitchen has round walls.
Made of: aluminum or plastic.
Fastening: can be fixed to the ceiling or to the wall.
And here's a video on how to fix the cornice of flexible plastic.
- The smaller the diameter or thickness of the eaves, the easier it should be the curtains and vice versa.
- The more complex and elegant the design of the fabric, the laconic can be the cornice and vice versa.
- If the ceiling in the kitchen is low, it is recommended to give preference to the ceiling cornice or install a wall curtain, but slightly above the upper edge of the window niche.
- The color of the cornice should be combined with curtains, kitchen handles, chandelier or other details of the interior.
- To ensure that the curtain always remains on the edge of the rod, do not forget to place one ring in the gap between the fastener and the tip during installation.
- Clips can be alternated with round rings, then the curtains will hold tight.
- If the length of the cornice is more than 2.4 m, and also if the curtains are very heavy, then for the reliability in the middle, the third bracket should be installed.
- To the kitchen curtains do not get dirty when opening or closing them, add curtains to the special driver bar.
And finally, we offer to see the story about how to choose the right cornice, brackets, rings and runners.