Decorating the kitchen in today's fashionable variations of country style requires a "village" style of curtains. It can be curtains-cafes, curtains with lambrequins or beautiful curtains-arches.
Advantages and disadvantages
Curtains-arches, as it is clear from their name, have arched form in the form of an arch, that is, they represent a single fabric cloth with ends hanging down to the windowsill, and a shortened central part.
Due to their length and shape, such curtains are not only beautiful, but also very comfortable, especially for a small kitchen: they do not prevent the passage of natural light from the window and heat from the battery, and also allow the use of a window sill as an additional working (or decorative) surface. In addition, unlike long traditional curtains, visually they "do not reduce" the space, but, conversely, make it easier.
From the minuses of this type of curtains, we can distinguish the following characteristics:
- Arched curtains do not hide batteries and pipes;
- Because of their small length they can not be hung near the stove;
- Without combination with roller blinds or jalousie, curtains-arches, and even more so the tulle arch, will not be able to obscure the room;
- This style of curtains is not suitable for modern styles: modern, minimalism, high-tech, loft.
The decoration of the kitchen with a curtain-arch is an excellent solution for classical and rustic styles: Provence, Chebik chic, rustic, Russian and Scandinavian country.
Arched curtains can be even or folded. Also possible with the use of decorative cords. As decorations here used ruches, lace, fringe, located at the bottom of the product.
For a dark kitchen or narrow, small windows do not fit curtains, and arched lambrequins, for example, such as in the photo below.
Choose a beautiful and practical material
Arched curtains can be bought ready-made, ordered in the atelier or sewed by hand, in any case it is important to choose the right fabric and design.
From the point of view of practicality, mixed fabrics with synthetic fibers or completely synthetic, for example from viscose, are more suitable for the kitchen. They are better in shape, less fading and easier to wear out.
Most often for the production of arched curtains are used:
- Flax is strong, beautiful, easy to clean, pleasant to the touch, hypoallergenic material, but the folds will be quite voluminous due to its density and severity;
- Tulle is a classic and popular solution, especially recommended for kitchens located on the north side;
- Grid - can have drawings, decorated with fringe or lace, the density of weaving is very different, therefore, the folds of such curtains can be both thick and soft, and lush;
- Organza - skips and beautifully softens the lighting, drapes well, but requires careful care. In addition, remember that this material has a light shine, and therefore the pattern and color of the fabric should not be obtrusive and restrained.
And for fabrication of ruffs and picks should be selected fabric that is identical or closest in composition and density with the base material - this will make the finished product more harmonious.
Rules for choosing colors and design
Before you sew the arches of the curtain with your own hands, you need to choose the tone of the materials - the main and additional. As it was already noted earlier, one must always take into account that the arch should be a light curtain, to be shed from soft, well draped fabrics. And how to choose the color and design suitable for the interior?
To decorate the kitchen according to all the rules of harmony and style, you need to keep in mind some rules of window decoration.
- If your kitchen has low ceilings, then choose curtains with a vertical pattern or stripes;
- The color of window textiles can repeat the color of kitchen textiles, for example, tablecloths, towels, seat upholstery;
- Also, when choosing a color, you can focus on the color of the finish or furniture, as shown in the following photo;
- For a dark kitchen located on the north side warm shades - yellow, orange, beige, cream;
- The design of the kitchen in the rustic style requires the presence on the curtain fabric of floral ornaments, floral motifs, traditional cages, peas and pastoral drawings;
Council. Do not know what color to choose? Choose a universal and no-lose option - white or beige.
More about the combination of colors in the kitchen can be found here.
How to sew an arch curtain with your own hands
To sew an arch for your kitchen with your own hands, you need a piece of suitable cloth about 100 cm wide (of course, you need to take into account the dimensions of the window opening).
We prefer a loose soft fabric with additives in the form of synthetic fibers.
After the fabric is picked up, a pattern is made. We offer you an excellent instruction and drawing from the second issue of the Soviet magazine "Peasant Woman" in the distant year of 1983. This pattern and master class are still relevant, because really everything new is just forgotten old.
- The cut is folded in half.
- The width of the window is measured and the value obtained is divided into three.
- A semicircle is drawn from the highest point on the bend - so that its radius corresponds to the third part of the width of the window.
- The semicircle is cut out.
- The cut line is aligned to a straight line.
- Edge is processed, and curtain braid or velcro is sewn - thus the design of the upper edge of the curtain ends.
- It is necessary to determine the length of the curtain. For this, the height of the window is multiplied by 2, after which two radii (measured earlier) are added to it. The resulting value - the length of the product from the window sill and to the eaves, it must be taken into account by your pattern.
Attention! If the uniformity of the ends of the product is important, the fabric folds up again. Where edges are connected, 250 mm is marked up - and the detected point is connected to the bottom edge of the fold. The result is a diagonal that connects the ends of the product folded in half - that's where the edge is cut off.
- The finished product is unfolded, after which a fringe, braid or other suitable decor is sewn to it.
And here is the old source of instructions and patterns for sewing arched curtains with your own hands.
How to fix a curtain-arch
Sew arched type curtains for any type of cornice. Cornice can choose even the thinnest, and fasten it either above the window opening, or on the ceiling. And the only restriction to fasteners is eyelets.
If you decide to sew a curtain with hinges, you will need a cornice-pipe, and for curtains with braid you need a rail structure with hooks. A good option is to mount in the window opening - in this case, the cornice is attached to the leaf, and the curtain is hung with velcro.
- Curtains with velcro will be very convenient in case you plan to often wash kitchen textiles.
- At the "low" kitchen, the cornice should be placed as high and as close to the ceiling as possible.