The square shape is the most successful for the kitchen, including for the small one. Of course, a lot depends on the size, but in general, we can say that if the room has a size of more than 3 × 3 m, then almost all types of layouts will be available here. There are many combinations of equipment arrangement, cabinets and furniture, but they can all be divided into several types:
- Single row;
- Double row;
- The peninsular.
In this material, we will consider in detail all these options for planning except for two-row, as it is more suitable for arranging narrow and elongated kitchens, rather than square.
One-row arrangement of furniture
Implies the arrangement of kitchen cabinets along one wall, the dining table is placed opposite the headset or closer to the window.
The layout is recommended:
- If the kitchen is small, say 3 × 3 m;
- If you want to leave more room for the arrangement of a spacious dining area;
- Provided that there are islands in the kitchen;
- If in the kitchen you want to put a sofa to rest.
Pros: a set built in one line is compact, simple and versatile.
Cons: building three working points - a stove, a sink and a refrigerator - in one row, be prepared for frequent rushes back and forth during cooking.
Hint: a suite with an additional third tier or with an enlarged second tier will allow you to store more items in it or hide behind the facade a duct of the air duct.
Below is an example of the design of a square kitchen with a linear layout and a sofa.
L-shaped (angular) arrangement of furniture
L-shaped layout - a win-win option for any square kitchen - both small and large.
Advantages: The corner kitchen is good because it involves two walls and an angle between them, and also allows you to place a plate, a sink and a refrigerator on the principle of a "working triangle", while leaving enough room for the dining area.
- To visually "unload" the interior of a small square kitchen, you can leave one wall without wall-mounted cabinets or hang open shelves instead.
- To equip the kitchen corner with a sink or stove, organize a workplace here or a convenient storage cupboard, it is best to choose a headset with a trapezoidal corner module.
Next on the photo is an example of the design of a corner square kitchen area of 10.2 square meters. meter.
And here are a couple of examples of small square kitchens with a corner suite.
The U-shaped layout is another great option for a square-shaped kitchen that uses three walls and two corners between them.
The layout is recommended for:
- Spacious kitchens ranging from 15 sq. M. meters;
- Kitchen-living room;
- "Working" cuisines.
Pros: The main advantage is convenience, because the work surfaces and lockers seem to embrace cooks - this allows you to cook, making minimum moves in the kitchen. And placing the letter P near the window makes it possible to wash dishes or cook, looking at the street, rather than on the wall.
Cons: Not in every square kitchen is the opportunity to build kitchen furniture in a U-shape. For example, it may interfere with the access to the balcony from one wall and the doorway - from the other, a small area and the technical difficulties of transferring communications, say, to a window. Especially it concerns the transfer of the gas stove, the exhaust duct and the sink.
- Theoretically, even in a kitchen of 3 by 3 m, a U-shaped arrangement of furniture is possible. But then a full-fledged lunch group will have to be replaced by an elegant table for 2 people or a bar counter.
- Passage between side cabinets should be not less than 120 cm (in extreme cases - 100 cm).
- To space does not seem to be furniture, walls and facades should be chosen in light colors (or even one tone). The second way to "unload" the interior - hang a pair of open shelves instead of hanging cabinets or even leave the wall empty.
- If the kitchen is not spacious enough, then to put here a standard 4-seater table, the U-shaped set should be designed very compactly. For example, one of its sidewalls can be shorter.
An example of a 3 × 3 m square kitchen design with a U-shaped layout is presented below (see!).
Kitchen with island
A set built in one or two rows, G-shaped or U-shaped, can be supplemented with an island that is able to combine the functions of the bar counter and the working surface with a stove and / or a sink (or without them).
The layout is recommended for:
- Spacious kitchens ranging from 20 square meters. meters.
- Kitchen-living room, когда столовую зону можно вынести на территорию гостиной или сделать остров не только рабочим, но и обеденным столом.
- "Working" kitchens, when the apartment has a separate dining room.
Плюсы: Kitchen with island удобна как никакая другая, ведь она позволяет не только выстроить «рабочий треугольник», но и оставаться открытым для общения с домочадцами или гостями во время готовки.
Cons: To place in the kitchen and the island, and a suite, and a full dining area, you need to have a kitchen area of at least 20 square meters. meters. In other cases, the island will either have to be abandoned, or there will be places for meals for 2-4 people. Another disadvantage of the island's kitchen is the need for repair with a rise in the floor level for the installation of a sink or stove. Particularly difficult tasks of repairing kitchens with an island are the transfer of a gas stove, an exhaust channel and a sink.
- Typically, in a square kitchen, the island table should also be square as shown in the next photo compilation.
- The distance from the island to the headset or any other furniture should be at least 100 cm.
- In order not to complicate repairs, the island should be equipped with only an electric hob or a small refrigerator with a capacity of 120 liters.
Details of the interior of a square kitchen with an island table can be seen in the next photo slider.
Kitchen with peninsula
Kitchen with peninsula – более компактная альтернатива островной планировке. В отличие от острова, полуостров может быть прислонен к стене и/или к гарнитуру.
The layout is recommended for:
- Small kitchens in which a dining table can be replaced by a peninsula table.
- Spacious kitchens.
- Kitchen-living room, когда столовую зону можно вынести на территорию гостиной.
- "Working" kitchens, when the apartment has a dining room.
Плюсы: Kitchen with peninsula удобна для приготовления еды и при этом более компактна за счет того, что одна его сторона прислонена к стене и/или к остальной мебели.
Cons: The peninsula slightly loses in the comfort of the island, as it can not be avoided from all sides. As a rule, the peninsula plays the role of both a desktop, a place for meals and a place for storing things, which means that it can not fully replace the dining table either in capacity or in ease of use.
- With respect to the peninsula, the same recommendations as for the island table are relevant.
And here are some photo-examples of interiors of square kitchens with a peninsula.
See also: 10 rules of kitchen planning
- In the interior of a square kitchen, the table is square or round shape.
- If the kitchen is small, use the technique of mini format: a plate for 2-3 hot plates, a dishwasher with a width of 40 cm, not a standard 60 cm, a small oven with a microwave oven function. Also a small volume can be chosen for a shell, for example, with a width of 45 cm.