The taste and quality of steaks, pancakes and even a simple omelette depends largely on the quality of the frying pan on which the food was prepared. Ideally, the kitchen should have a few pans of different diameter, thickness and height of the walls, as well as on materials, it's not for nothing that professional chefs prepare different dishes in different pans. For example, for grilling meat, a grilled grilled frying pan is more suitable, and any frying pan with non-stick coating will fry for frying eggs.
But since we are not chefs and most often use only 1-2 pans, this article will discuss how to choose a frying pan for universal use, that is, a round average diameter of 24-28 cm.
We are sorted out in pans with non-stick coating
Coatings today are very different. Let's see how they are and what will be better?
- Teflon coating, namely polytetrafluoroethylene - the most common type of coating for frying pans made of aluminum.
Pros: light in weight, easy to care for, you can cook with almost no fat.
Cons: Teflon can not be heated very much (the optimum temperature is 200 ° C), otherwise it starts to release carcinogenic toxic gases and, of course, it is afraid of sharp objects.
Service life: 1 year maximum.
Advice: The well-known Tefal, whose frying pan can be heated up to 260 C °, received positive reviews.
- Ceramic coating is a non-stick coating not from burnt clay, as it seems due to the name, but from a nanocomposite polymer with nanoparticles of sand in the composition.
Advantages: Unlike a teflon frying pan with a ceramic coating, it does not emit any harmful substances under strong heating (it can be heated up to 450 degrees) and is perfect for those who like to cook with a minimum amount of oil. She warms up evenly and quickly. In addition, aluminum pans with a ceramic coating are relatively light.
Cons: the ceramic layer is afraid of mechanical damage, falls from the height, washing in the dishwasher, alkali and sudden changes in temperature, not suitable for induction cookers.
Service life: about 1-2 years with careful use.
Advice: do not buy cheap models, as they spoil very quickly. Positive feedback has earned the brands TVS, Fissler, Moneta.
- Marble coating - a non-stick coating of the same Teflon, but with the addition of marble chips.
Pros: a frying pan with a marble coating weighs lighter than cast iron, evenly and very quickly heats up. In addition, unlike ceramics and Teflon, it cools more slowly, is less afraid of sharp objects, accidental falls, temperature drops, and therefore has a long service life. And even this dish looks unusually and soundly.
Cons: they are available in both cheap and expensive categories, but a good frying pan (with a coating of 3 layers) and a thickened bottom costs at least 2000 rubles, another drawback - often they are sold without covers.
Service life: depends on the number of layers of the coating - the more layers, the longer the dishes will last. With proper care multilayer frying pan can last up to 25 years, as the producers promise.
Advice: if possible, buy dishes with a 5-layer marble coating and a bottom with a thickness of more than 6 mm. Periodically lubricate a clean frying pan with oil, and then wipe it with a napkin (no need to calcinate).
- Titanium, diamond, granite coatings are nanocomposite coatings, reliable and most expensive.
Pros: uniform and rapid heating, wear resistance, are not afraid of metal forks, cornices and blades, durability, practically do not require the use of oil, are safe for health and are as close to quality as cast-iron dishes, but lighter.
Cons: not suitable for an induction cooker, are much more expensive than all other types of frying pans.
Service life: up to 25 years.
Tip: Positive reviews have premium brands Swiss Diamond, Woll and Risoli.
- There is another type of coating, which, perhaps, can be called the safest and durable, and this, of course, is a natural "non-stick" coating of oil absorbed in the pores of a cast-iron pan. But read about this in the next chapter.
Overview of materials: cast iron, stainless steel, copper
- Cast-iron pan
Pros: it is this dish that can rightly be called the best in the category "station wagon", because in it you can even bake pies in the oven. It produces the most delicious dishes, it is from the cast iron make a frying pan for grilling meat. It evenly warms up and cools down for a long time. Cast-iron dishes are not afraid of even knives and falls from a height, in addition, it is absolutely safe for health and even useful, as during the frying the meal is filled with a small amount of iron. And its main feature is a natural "non-stick coating", which is created due to the fact that the porous structure of cast iron absorbs oil, so the dishes can be used forever in the literal sense of the word.
Cons: cast iron is heavy, requires care, that is, periodic calcination with salt and lubrication with oil. Cast iron dishes can not be washed in a dishwasher and for a long time to store food in it, since cast iron can rust.
Service life: practically has no expiration date.
Advice: in a price-quality ratio, a frying pan from Lodge will be a good choice. However, any cast-iron utensils will be good.
- Stainless steel frying pan
Pros: In the frying pan made of stainless steel without any non-stick coating, many professionals prepare, since it preserves the taste and color of the ingredients as much as possible. Stainless steel is also made with grilled dishes. It is durable, not afraid of knives and forks, as well as washing immediately after frying the food. It is easy to care if you use it right.
Cons: you need to adapt to it - mix food at the proper time and warm the oil well, otherwise the dish will stick. And on the "stainless steel" it is very difficult to fry eggs.
Tip: the trustworthy brands are Fizzler, De Buyer and Lagostina, from the more affordable Silampos "Gourmet".
- Copper frying pan with stainless steel coating
Pros: very beautiful appearance, copper dishes are great for cooking dishes that require periodic temperature changes, so that copper cools quickly and also heats up quickly.
Cons: difficulty cooking, high price.
Service life: durable.
Совет: Falk, Matfer Bourguet, Mauviel.
7 Top Tips: Price, Brands, Quality Signs
How to choose the right frying pan and not be confused while standing in the store? We prepared 8 main recommendations for choosing a pan for universal use.
- If you decide to choose aluminum cookware with non-stick coating, then pay attention to cast aluminum, with thickened walls and a bottom. Good reviews have: the already mentioned Risoli and Woll, as well as the less expensive Casta and Vari.
- Diameter, which is indicated by the manufacturer, is measured at the top of the dishes, and not on the bottom. The diameter of 24 cm is optimal for one person, 26 cm for a family of 3 people, 28 cm is suitable for large families.
- Which frying pan is better from two similar models? The one with a thicker wall and bottom, weight is heavier, and there are more non-stick layers.
- For baking in the oven, choose dishes with a removable handle or handle made of metal without plastic elements.
- For glass ceramic hob It is undesirable to contact pans with a bottom of copper or aluminum, tk. they leave traces.
- For индукционной плиты подойдет только специальная посуда, которая помечена особой маркировкой.
- A good frying pan, as a rule, costs at least 1500 rubles.