Earlier we already wrote about how to choose a bar counter or an island table, and now tell you how to choose bar stools for the kitchen. In this material you will find useful tips, a small overview of prices and manufacturers, as well as 30 photo-examples of various models.
Step 1. Select the height of the seat
Before going to the store, you need to measure the height of the countertop of the bar counter and understand what height the chairs should be to it.
- The difference between the height of the table top and the seats should be about 30 cm. So, if the height of the rack is 1 m, then the chair's sitting height should be about 70 cm.
Of course, the growth of a person plays a role, so you need to focus on your own feelings when you "test drive" the furniture.
- If visitors often come to you, your desk is of unusual height or you just plan to use chairs for different tables, we recommend buying chairs with adjustable legs.
Step 2. Select the construction
The bar stool consists of seating, legs and leg restraints, many models have a backrest and armrests, some models are height adjustable, can turn or fold at all. The following tips will help you understand what kind of design is needed for you and your family:
- High stools without backrest are good because they can completely move under the table and be placed on top of each other when you, for example, wash the floor. To sit on them for a long time is inconvenient, but if your kitchen is small, and the rack you use only for breakfast and snacks, then this option is perfect.
- If the bar counter replaces the dining table, serves as a home mini-bar or workstation, then give preference to comfortable models with backrests and armrests.
- Legs at the bar stool may be three, four or one central with a wide support at the bottom (pictured). The most reliable version of the chair is with 4 legs.
- The bar stool must have a very strong step, because it will not only support the legs of the seated, but also help you sit on the high seat.
- A spinning seat will be an excellent bonus if you use the rack as a mini bar, and also if you often party and like watching TV, say, in the adjacent living room.
- If the kitchen is very small, then you can choose light folding chairs. These are sold, for example, in Ikea (the Franklin model). Also, simple folding chairs are useful to have in case of receiving guests and get only when necessary.
- It is desirable that on the legs of the chairs were put on soft pads to protect the floor covering.
Step 3. Select the material
There are bar stools for the kitchen not only in height, but also in the types of materials used. The following materials and their combinations are used in the production of such a group:
- Steel with golden and silvery sputtering, as well as forged. Of metal, only the support or the entire chair can be made. Metal bar furniture is the most reliable and easy to care for.
Bertoia in the interior
- Wood. Wooden chairs are beautiful, but require periodic tightening of screws. In addition, it is highly desirable that the wooden chair has a metal footstep.
Wooden bar stool Ingolf, Ikea
- Painted or transparent plastic. Plastic chairs are light and can look fantastic. So, for example, transparent chairs from polycarbonate Louis Ghost as in the photo below will seem invisible and will not clutter up the space. But keep in mind that the plastic can not withstand more than 100 kg.
- Vine and rattan, both natural and artificial. Of this material, only the seats are made, but this greatly facilitates the furniture. For convenience and beauty, wicker chairs are complemented by pillows and cloaks.
- Upholstery materials: leather, eco-leather, fabrics and tapestries. On chairs with upholstery it is especially pleasant and comfortable to sit, besides they look very elegant in the interior.
Step 4. Choose a design and style
For a cozy kitchen in the country style, wooden or vintage metal bar chairs with or without upholstery are suitable. And the models with wicker seats will look great.
For the kitchen in the classical style, too, only wooden or wrought-iron chairs are acceptable. They should resemble chairs as much as possible, and therefore have good upholstery, seats, armrests.
For the modern interior, strict straight or streamlined lines and shapes are welcome. Bright or, conversely, neutral colors. Materials are appropriate, and especially organic will be plastic.
But for the loft, you can pick up chairs made of metal or wood, with leather upholstery, on the tripoles in the Tolix style (pictured).
Pop art and fusion are the exact opposite of minimal restraint. Here you can fit chairs with unusual shapes or at least with bright frames as in the photo below.
Step 5. We are looking for where to find inexpensive but excellent chairs
Bar stools from Poland - a good option for those who want to buy high-quality furniture is relatively inexpensive. The Signal brand is known for the quality of materials and the harmonious design of its furniture. In the photo below you can see how the Signal chairs of the popular S-300 series look in the kitchen interior (the price is from 8000 rubles).
Even more affordable furniture can be found in Ikea. The height of the seats of almost all bar stools from Ikea is 74 cm. The most popular models are wooden Ingolf (3999 rubles.) And Henriksdal (from 6000-9000 rubles, depending on the upholstery).
Below are photos of how chairs from Henriksdall (first photo) and Ingolf (second photo) look in the interior.
Henriksdal in the interior
Ingolf in the interior of the kitchen
Original bar furniture, for example, transparent chairs Louis Ghost of polycarbonate, from the factory Kartell cost from 30,000 rubles. But you can find in Russian online stores excellent copies at a price of 5000 rubles.
Also you can search for replicas of the legendary designer chairs Eames (from 6000 rubles.) And Tolix (from 5000 rubles.).
Eames in the interior
Tolix in the interior
Tolix in the interior