The wallpaper is good because it does not require thorough plastering of the walls, as it is required for painting, hide small irregularities, and also allow to correct some shortcomings of the room, for example, a low ceiling or a small area. And they are simply beautiful and able to transform even the most boring interior. On the other hand, the difficult conditions of the kitchen and frequent cleaning will withstand, unfortunately, not every wallpaper. In addition, this material has a weak spot - seams, which eventually begin to peel off and wear out. About how to choose wallpaper for the kitchen, so they were beautiful, practical and served for a long time, we'll tell in this material.
Browse types of wallpaper
There are different types of wallpapers, but for the finishing of the walls of the kitchen only:
- Vinyl (on paper / non-woven basis);
- Non-woven (for painting);
- Steklooboi (also for painting).
Let's look at each of these species in more detail.
They consist of two layers - a decorative top layer and a base. With the choice of the basis everything is simple: it can be either paper or non-woven. The latter is suitable for finishing the walls of the kitchen much more.
- The non-woven base improves the process of sticking wallpaper, because the glue is applied only to the wall. This means that its consumption is reduced by half, and the webs do not stretch and do not shrink when dried (the docking becomes easier). In addition, the non-woven base can better level small irregularities and cracks in the walls, and also allows wallpaper to be peeled off easily and without residue.
Depending on the top decorative layer, vinyl wallpaper is divided into 4 main types:
- Wallpaper for painting from foamed vinyl;
- Hard vinyl;
- "Kitchen Vinyl".
The wallpaper for painting from foamed vinyl is not suitable for finishing the kitchen, as it is not resistant to rubbing with brushes, shocks, scratches. But the other types should be noted.
- Wallpaper from the "kitchen" vinyl is attracted by the fact that it can withstand wet cleaning with a brush and even cleaning agents. However, such a "super-washable" coating is airtight, and hence a favorable mold environment can form beneath it. If the walls of the kitchen were once affected by a fungus, the room is poorly lit, it is damp, pipes often flow or windows sweat, then this option will not work. If you still decide to choose them, then the walls should be pretreated with an antiseptic primer.
- Compact vinyl wallpaper is great for the kitchen, because they can withstand light wet cleaning, are resistant to bumps and scratches, their pattern does not burn out in the sun, the service life is about 10 years. In addition, the price of coating vinyl vinyl is not high (compared to hard vinyl), and the choice of designs is very large. But they also have a typical drawback for vinyl - lack of air permeability. When choosing such wallpaper, first, treat the walls with antiseptic primer, and secondly, often ventilate the room, thirdly - to ensure that it is not damp, the pipes do not flow, and the windows do not get fogged up.
- Solid vinyl wallpaper is the best choice for the kitchen, if you want to paste wallpaper with a picture, not under painting. After all, their properties are almost perfect - they are beautiful, durable, withstand wet cleaning, UV-resistant racks, and most importantly - have micropores that will give the walls "bloom" because of, say, accidental flooding. The only drawback is the high price (from 2000 rubles / roll).
Swedish solid vinyl wallpaper
See material on the topic: Wall decoration in the kitchen with vinyl wallpaper - 6 steps from buying to sticking
Flizeline wallpaper for painting
The term "non-woven wallpaper" always causes confusion among buyers and even some sellers. For example, non-woven fabrics are often called any non-woven wallpaper (whether paper or vinyl). And still this name was fixed behind the wallpaper for painting from foamed vinyl on the basis of non-woven fabric, about which we told a little earlier. But, strictly speaking, non-woven fabrics have the right to be called wallpaper for painting, consisting of 100% non-woven fabric.
- Flizeline wallpaper for painting не имеют рельефа и больше похожи на бумагу. И это и есть бумага, только улучшенная за счет добавления полимеров, связующих целлюлозу.
Why are they needed if they have no decorativeness, even in the form of a relief for a simple matting? They help when the walls want to be painted, but the base is far from ideal or, for example, when the appearance of cracks is expected due to the shrinkage of the new building.
- Adhesive non-woven wallpaper is very easy, but the joints of the paintings can be noticeable even after painting. Are the walls painted smooth over the nonwoven fabric or on the putty wall? Yes, very little, but different because of the translucent texture of the non-woven fabric. Paints for water-based paints are suitable for painting non-woven fabrics. You can repaint them 4-5 times.
See the material on the topic: Non-woven wallpaper in the kitchen: customer reference and step-by-step instructions for gluing
There is no stronger wallpaper than fiberglass, made from a mixture of quartz sand, soda and lime.
- Steklooboi are more resistant to mechanical damage than vinyls for painting, and unlike smooth non-woven wallpaper they have a beautiful relief or pattern. By the way, due to its structural structure, the glass-fiber walls visually align the walls with small differences. They are not afraid of wet cleaning, fireproof, elastic and well conceal the defects of the base. And glass masks can be repainted up to 10 times, that is twice as often as wallpaper for painting other types.
And some more useful information. Some glass walls are already available in color, but they can still be painted and desirable. Paints should be used on a water basis (acrylic, water-dispersion, water-emulsion).
Information for the customer
- Before paying for the purchase, be sure that all the rolls come out of one lot (the lot number is indicated on the package). Otherwise, in spite of the same article, color and collection, you will get wallpaper of different colors, which will be very noticeable when painting the canvas on the wall. By the way, a lot of wallpaper from different parties is not a marriage, but a technical feature of production.
- Wallpapers should always be bought with a 5-10% margin, which is useful in case of damage to the canvas during gluing or in the future for local repairs. If you buy wallpaper with a picture, do not forget to take into account rapport (the step of repeating the pattern).
- Keep in mind that it is not necessary to glue the wallpaper behind the kitchen set. But it is desirable that the wallpaper went behind the cabinet at 10-15 cm.
- When choosing kitchen wallpaper, check their labeling on the packaging. It is important that they are:
- Light-resistant - look for the sign of the sun, and better than the sun with a plus, if the wallpaper is very bright or dark;
- Moisture-proof - look for at least two waves (say that the wallpaper is washable and they can be wiped with a damp cloth), but preferably three waves (supermin, which can be washed with a mild cleanser);
- Resistant to friction - the wave with a brush reports that the wallpaper can be washed and rubbed with a brush.
- When choosing wallpaper paste, be guided by whether it is suitable for your primer and wallpaper of your chosen type.
- Remember that in the bright illumination of the store the exposed samples look a bit lighter than in real conditions on the kitchen wall of an ordinary city apartment.
- When decorating the kitchen, you can combine two types of wallpaper (for example, super-washing "kitchen" wallpaper in the cooking area and solid vinyl wallpaper in the dining area). Thus, it will be possible to save on materials, and reduce the load on a more expensive coating.
- If you liked the wallpaper, which does not differ in durability, then simply paste them on one wall, away from the stove. For example, in the dining area. The rest of the wall is best simply painted with a suitable shade or combined with other wallpaper.
See also: We create a unique design in the kitchen - we correctly combine the wallpaper
Photo gallery and design tips
- Wallpaper with a large, dark or bright and / or very colorful pattern is best to glue only one or two walls. Otherwise, the space will "reboot" and visually decrease. It is also desirable that the kitchen interior with bright wallpaper is decorated neutral.
- Walls small kitchen it's best to just paint the wallpaper in one tone with a light color or decorate the wallpaper with a small, soft and unobtrusive print.
Светлые обои в интерьере small kitchen
Светлые обои в интерьере small kitchen
- If the ceiling is low, you can visually "lift" it at the expense of wallpaper in a vertical strip or in a diagonal cage (in rhombus).
- The wallpaper can even be decorated with an apron, though in combination with a transparent tempered glass screen as shown in the photo from the next collection (flip!).
- The drawing and the color of the wallpaper should correspond with the apron (see photo-example below), curtains, floor covering or other interior elements.
- Of course, the wallpaper should be chosen according to the style of the kitchen. If its the interior is decorated in a classic style, choose canvases in a vertical strip, with heraldic, traditional floral and plant motifs.
If the kitchen is modern, then the wallpaper with a geometric pattern, abstractions and stylized vegetative patterns will do.
- The most versatile wallpaper prints are a cage (vichi and tartan), strips and rhombuses.