The refrigerator is one of the tops of the working triangle "stocks-washing-cooking", and hence the convenience of the kitchen and even the cooking time largely depend on its placement. And the dimensions of the unit are so great that one way or another to plan a place and the way to arrange it is necessary with all the care, especially if the kitchen is small. In this article we will tell you where it is best to install a refrigerator, how to plan the design of a small kitchen with a refrigerator, how to organically fit it into the interior and what planning decisions to take is not worth it.
13 principles of placing a refrigerator in the kitchen
1. The refrigerator should not "break" the working triangle
The main principle that should be followed when choosing a place for a refrigerator is the rule of the working triangle, which we have already mentioned.
The working triangle is the area of greatest activity in the kitchen, which includes three peaks: a storage area (refrigerator and cabinet with provisions), a cooking zone (cooker) and a washing zone. To make the kitchen as comfortable as possible, all these zones must form a triangle, ideally an isosceles one. In this case, they should be in reasonable proximity to each other (no more than 200-180 cm), and on the way from one point to another there should be no barriers in the form of, say, a table or bar counter. If this rule is violated by putting the refrigerator too far from the sink and stove, the triangle will break and during cooking / serving the culinary will have to run around with food on hand to and fro, spending extra time and energy.
Variants of construction of a working triangle for the main types of kitchen layouts
Of course, in practice, to observe the rule of the working triangle in the planning of the kitchen is not always obtained, nevertheless one must strive for this.
- From this point of view, kitchen set is built L-shaped, U-shaped or in two rows as shown in the photo below.
An example of a convenient location of the refrigerator in the corner kitchen
Пример удобного расположения холодильника в U-shapedй кухне
With a two-row kitchen layout, the cooker and sink are located on one side, and the refrigerator and, possibly, the oven and microwave - on the opposite side
But the layout, in which the refrigerator is in the same row with the stove and sink will be most uncomfortable. However, exceptions are very small kitchens (see the photo below), in which the distances between the work points will not be large.
Kitchen in a Khrushchev with a linear layout
- All about the design of a small kitchen - 16 super-receptions and 70 photos
- Kitchen design 5 sq.m. meters from repair to decoration
- How to equip the kitchen area of 6 square meters. meters
- Kitchen 7 sq. M. meters for 9 steps
- Design and repair of a small kitchen in Khrushchev - 13 tested solutions
2. The most inconvenient options for placing a refrigerator are ...
- Placement in the same row as the stove and sink (this has already been mentioned above);
- Placing next to the stove and / or too far from the sink (we'll talk about this in the next paragraph);
- Placement of the unit is too far from the entrance door and dining table (in this case, the products will have to be carried too long);
- Placement of the refrigerator at the dining table (see photo), bar counter or table-island.
Kitchen with an awkward location of the refrigerator
3. It is preferable to place the refrigerator closer to the sink, and not to the stove
This is logical, because the chain of the kitchen path looks like this: we come to the refrigerator to get food - we come to the worktop to unpack / cut the food - we come to the sink to wash the food / dishes / hands - we come to the stove to cook the dish. As for the distance between the sink and the fridge, it can be minimal, but it is best to place in this place a zone for preparing the products and unloading the packages just brought from the store.
Refrigerator next to the sink
If in your kitchen the refrigerator can stand only to the right or to the left of the plate, then keep in mind that the distance between the equipment should be at least 15-20 cm.
An example of the correct placement of the refrigerator next to the cooker
4. Convenient places to install a refrigerator - in the corner or near the door / at the entrance to the kitchen
The location of the refrigerator in the corner will save space, and the large unit will not look so cumbersome here.
Refrigerator in the corner of the kitchen
Placement of the refrigerator near the door, firstly, it will be convenient for unloading packages with products, and secondly, zoning space due to the formation of an additional "partition". With this layout, the refrigerator can be built into the recess of the plasterboard or dismantled the door, creating a wide and open portal that visually facilitates the space.
5. Sometimes the refrigerator can be inscribed in a niche formed when carrying a doorway
In this case, the entrance to the kitchen is laid, and a new opening is set up in the partition between the kitchen and the living room. Often this technique can be used in small kitchens in Khrushchev and some other typical houses.
Refrigerator in a niche in a remodeled kitchen in a Khrushchev
6. The depth of the refrigerator should correspond to the depth of the headset
So the unit will not break a straight line of kitchen furniture, and the interior will visually look orderly. This tip is especially relevant for free-standing refrigerators and small kitchens.
7. If possible, the refrigerator should be integrated in the headset
Built-in refrigerator saves precious centimeters and allows you to create a uniformity of all surfaces of the kitchen, due to which space is visually simplified and increases, and the interior seems neat.
Built-in refrigerator in a small kitchen in Khrushchev
Built-in refrigerator, disguised as a buffet
In addition, the built-in technique is much easier to keep clean - just wipe the facades and the camera itself. A stand-alone unit requires cleaning of the upper part, space behind and around the walls.
- Embedding the refrigerator is particularly desirable not only for small kitchens, but also kitchens, decorated in classical, rustic and ethnic style.
Built-in refrigerator in the interior of the kitchen in a classic style in Stalin
See also: How to build a regular refrigerator in a headset
8. For a small kitchen, you should choose compact models
For example, a narrow but high model (with a width of only 40-55 cm and a height of up to 180 cm), a mini fridge that can be placed / built under the countertop or simply a small volume unit (eg 120 liters).
- And of course, it is desirable that the refrigerator in the small kitchen is built-in.
Below are photo-examples of equipment in mini format.
A small refrigerator built-in under the oven
Small kitchen with small fridge
A small freestanding refrigerator by the window
Refrigerator built-in under the countertop
To build a mini fridge under the countertop is as easy as, say, a washing machine, a large dishwasher or a cabinet with shelves. For those who live alone or with a couple, this is an excellent solution.
9. If the kitchen is very small, the refrigerator can be taken out to an adjacent room or corridor
Иногда кухня бывает настолько мала, что холодильником приходится жертвовать. Например, его можно вынести в коридор или прилегающую … гостиную. В этом случае дверь на кухне желательно убрать (или всегда держать открытой), а возле холодильника поставить какой-or столик. Последний облегчит вам разгрузку-загрузку продуктов, наведение порядка на полках.
Refrigerator in the hallway
Refrigerator in the living room adjacent to the kitchen
- Example of placing an integrated refrigerator in the living room, combined with a kitchen and a corridor
- Example of placing an integrated refrigerator in the living room, combined with a kitchen and a corridor
Is it possible to put a refrigerator on the balcony if the kitchen is small? Unfortunately, doing this is very undesirable for many reasons. But the main argument against this is the risk of compressor breakdown at temperatures below 10 degrees and above 30 degrees. In extreme cases, a freezer can be placed on the balcony (for example, for storing berries, meat, etc.), a two-compressor refrigerator, a model with No frost system or a refrigerator with an unconventional climatic class. Of course, in this case, the temperature regime and humidity level on the balcony should be as close to normal as possible (in accordance with the climatic class of your model), warming it, curtains, etc.
10. Above the freezer it is possible to equip a storage area
For example, it can be a hanging shelf or simply a nice basket / box for storing small items that are not used too often. Here are some photo-examples of how this can be done.
Semi-built refrigerator with cupboard
Also on a low refrigerator it is convenient to put a microwave.
Microwave on the refrigerator in a small kitchen in Khrushchev
11. In the interior of the kitchen, the neighborhood of the cupboard-cases with the built-in refrigerator, oven and microwave
Can I install a refrigerator near the oven? You can, if you choose an oven with a cooling case. Additional protection of the refrigerator from heat at the same time create the walls of the frame headset, the thickness of which, as a rule, is about 3 cm.
A block of cupboard-columns with a built-in refrigerator, oven and microwave in the interior of the kitchen-studio
12. A stand-alone refrigerator will look less cumbersome if it matches the color of the wall or the headset
In the tone of the wall, it visually appears to be part of it and seems to be embedded in it.
Also, the overall technology will look less massive if it matches the color of the fronts of the kitchen set.
Large refrigerator side by side in the interior of the kitchen
13. Sometimes a refrigerator can play a major accent in the interior
So, for example, color refrigerators SMEG always perform not only practical, but also aesthetic function.
Refrigerator SMEG in the interior of a small kitchen in Khrushchev
However, the usual white or silver refrigerator can be turned into a bright accent. For this, its doors and walls can be:
- To issue with a film with photoprinting (a film with a print put on a door by means of a hair dryer with hot air) or magnetic vinyl (vinyl with photoprinting is simply magnetized to the door x-ka).
- Cover with chalk wallpaper or paint with slate paint, then paint with crayons.
- Decorate with vinyl stickers.
- To paint with acrylic paints (the surface must first be ground and covered with a primer).
- Decorate the drawings in the technique of decoupage.
Decor of the refrigerator in the technique of decoupage
- Paint in bright colors, in the tone of the walls or in the headset.
More details on this can be found in the materials: 8 ways to decorate the refrigerator and Make magnets on the refrigerator (and not only) from improvised, waste and natural materials
The main thing is that the design of the refrigerator should correspond to the color and style with other elements of the interior, for example, curtains, aprons or facades of the headset. It is also important to understand that the "designer" refrigerator assumes a restrained interior of the kitchen, without the abundance of variegated and elegant details.