Electric ovens are about 90% of all oven models on the market. They even equip gas stoves, because there are at least 3 good reasons for this:
- First, in an electric oven, heating is possible from both the bottom and top, due to what you can not worry that the pie will burn on one side and nedopechetsya with another.
- Secondly, the electric model is endowed with the most useful convection function, which allows you to distribute hot air evenly, bake several dishes simultaneously at different levels and get an appetizing golden crust. With a gas burner, this number will not pass because of the danger of damping the flame (although gas ovens with a fan still exist).
- And finally, the third argument "for" the electric oven: there is no fire and gas - there are no problems.
Our guide will help you choose an excellent oven for functionality, design and price.
If you are looking for a gas oven, you here.
9-step choice guide
Step 1. We decide what kind of oven we need - dependent or independent?
The built-in oven may or may not depend on the hob.
- The dependent oven is installed directly under the hob and connected to it by wires. The control panel is common and is located on the oven.
Dependent electric oven with hob
As a matter of fact, such complete set is the same old kind plate, only built in. To use it is familiar, convenient, and it costs a little cheaper than a pair of independent devices. True, there are several nuances in choosing a dependent model.
- It is important that the interdependent oven and hob are compatible with each other. Bear in mind that belonging to the same manufacturer does not guarantee compatibility of the devices (check it with a special table from the manufacturer).
- A dependent set of gas tops and electric bottoms is possible, but there are not too many such models.
- You can choose devices of different price category, but it is desirable that the oven was more "advanced" than the hob.
An independent oven is good because it can be placed anywhere. Most often it is built into the pencil case together with a microwave and a refrigerator at a convenient height - at eye level.
The oven built into the column cabinet is very convenient - with it it does not have to constantly bend over and squat down, checking the degree of cooked cake
Also, the independence of the oven allows you to set the hob with any number of burners, for example, two, three or five. In the dependent kit, the hob, as a rule, has 4 hot plates.
Independent electric oven, paired with gas hob with two burners
See also: Choosing a hob: what you need to know before buying
Step 2. Determine the dimensions and capacity
The dimensions of a standard oven are 60x60x56 cm (external dimensions). In such a cupboard you can cook a large dish for 5-6 servings - what you need for the average kitchen and a family of 3-5 people. However, in some cases, the oven must have a non-standard width and / or height (the depth of all models is approximately the same - 60 cm (+ - 5 cm)).
- A narrow 45 cm wide oven is suitable for small kitchen and families of 2-3 people.
Узкий духовой шкаф в интерьере small kitchen в хрущевке
- A large 90 cm wide oven is ideal for spacious kitchens, families of 5-7 people and fans of cooking.
- Low models with a height of 38-55 cm usually have the function of a microwave oven and help out when there is a shortage of space in the kitchen.
- A high oven 90 cm high is usually double, it has one full-sized camera and one smaller one. This option is designed for large families and hospitable cooks.
Instead of focusing on the manufacturer's "useful quantities", bring your biggest baking dish to the store to make sure that the size of the oven is right for you.
Step 3. Decide whether the convection function is needed
The convection function in electric ovens is provided by the built-in rear wall of the fan chamber. It circulates hot air and helps to prepare the product faster, evenly bake pies, create an appetizing crust or cook several dishes on different baking trays. Some models in the convection mode can even unfreeze the frozen product.
On the other hand, this function is not always necessary and not for everyone. Some dishes, for example, pastry from a yeast dough, lean meat and chicken in a convection mode can get dryish. If you rarely cook in grill mode and often bake bread, rolls and pies, you can save money on the fan.
- But if you like to cook in grill mode, often bake biscuits and cakes, like baking meat, fish or chicken in your sleeve, then the function of convection in your oven will be useful.
Step 4. What about the self-cleaning function?
A self-cleaning oven - sounds great, but rushing to warn - the reality is somewhat different from expectations. There are three main types of self-cleaning system: pyrolytic, catalytic and steam (hydrolysis).
- If you use the oven less than once a week, then you can use a model with a self-cleaning steam system.
- If you bake at least once a week, it is better to buy an oven with a catalytic self-cleaning system.
- For active chefs it is worth to spend on a self-cleaning oven with pyrolysis function.
And now let's talk about these systems in more detail.
Pyrolytic self-cleaning (price - from 30 trillion)
In the pyrolytic purification mode, the furnace heats up to 500 ° C, turning even the most complex soils (like fat, burnt sugar syrup and milk) even in the most inaccessible places in ... ash, which then needs to be simply wiped off.
However, before you start the pyrolysis mode, you need to pull out all the shelves and side guides from the camera and clean them yourself. In addition, manual cleaning will require a glass door.
Good to know
- For safety reasons, during the pyrolytic cleaning, the oven door is automatically locked and opened only when the temperature in the chamber drops below 280 ° C.
- While the oven repairs itself, the kitchen gets warmer than usual, even hot, the appliance door can be heated up to 70 degrees, and the air can fill an unpleasant smell. For these reasons, at the time of harvesting, it is desirable to turn on the hood and open the windows. And, of course, take the children out of the kitchen.
- Carry out a thorough cleaning of the oven about once a month. The whole process, as a rule, takes 1.5-2.5 hours.
Catalytic self-cleaning (price from 20 trillion)
The side walls of the catalytic self-cleaning ovens are covered with a special enamel that absorbs and splits the fat coating directly during the baking of the dishes at a temperature of 140 degrees.
The disadvantages of the catalytic self-cleaning system are as follows:
- Since only the walls and the upper part of the chamber are covered with enamel, the bottom and the door will get dirty in a conventional oven and require manual cleaning.
- Enamel spoils from contact with milk and acid.
- Coverage is calculated approximately for 4-5 years, and then wears out and requires replacement.
- Large fat spots are not always removed in one work cycle.
Good to know
- In advanced models of modern ovens, a catalytic enamel is used as the cleaning layer, and the ceramic coating is EcoClean. Its main advantage is an endless service life.
- If the surface is not completely cleaned, it can be cleaned by heating the empty oven for an hour using the convection function.
Steam self-cleaning ((hydrolysis), the price of 15 tr)
In some ovens a steam cleaning method is used, which weakens the plaque of grease, carbon deposits and dirt stains. To clean the oven, you just need to fill the pan with water and run an automatic one-hour cycle that heats the oven to 70-90 ° C. Once the cycle is finished, all you have to do is wipe the oven with a cloth soaked in soapy water. However, to remove stubborn stains may require more powerful cleaning agents.
Step 5. Understand the additional functions and programs
Even the simplest oven with a basic set of functions and convection can solve almost any "baking" task - to cook pizza, souffle or turkey. But if the oven has additional functions, then you can not only bake and fry in it, but also stew, simmer, cook, defrost, warm up, raise dough, dry it and not only. Let's look at the additional features in more detail.
- Pizza mode (convection + bottom heat at high temperature)
As the name suggests, this mode is ideal for making pizza and other dishes, where full baking of the base is required. For example, for any open pies, focaccia and bread.
- Convection grill (grill + convection)
In this mode, the grille and fan are activated. It is ideal for making large pieces of meat, chicken, chicken legs, sausages and other dishes that require a long cooking time. Also, this mode is great for baking vegetables, browning pasta, lasagna, chips, etc.
- Only the grill
The mode is ideal for baking small, tender pieces of meat on the top shelf of the camera (unless otherwise specified in the recipe / manufacturer's instructions).
- Rapid heating
This function allows you to warm up the oven faster than usual. Also, the mode is ideal for preparing frozen and pre-packaged products. They only need to get out of the freezer and immediately put in the oven.
The product is only defrosted due to air circulation, the oven does not heat up at the same time. This mode can also be used for lifting yeast dough, drying dried fruits, vegetables and herbs.
Some models of ovens have a set of auto-programs for defrosting different types of products.
- Maintaining temperature
In this mode, the cooked dish is kept warm at a temperature of 60-85 ° C.
- Slow cooking (quenching, longing)
The dish is cooked in conditions as close as possible to the traditional oven - at a low temperature of 70-120 ° C with upper and lower heat, most often on the lower shelf. Food (especially meat and fish) is more useful, without excess fat and harmful overcooked crusts, while very tasty.
This mode is ideal for preparing homemade yogurts, as well as raising yeast dough.
- Automatic cooking programs
Multifunctional ovens not only have a basic set of modes, but also auxiliary programs that prepare food automatically according to the temperature, cooking time, etc. set by the manufacturer or user, and so on. You only need to specify the weight and type of the product (eg meat), the recipe (eg roast beef) and put the workpiece on the shelf.
Some ovens are equipped with generators of high-frequency fields (magnetron), that is, they can function as microwave ovens. This supplement can be used in conjunction with the oven's heating elements to cook the dish very quickly, and solo, for example, to simply heat up the product.
The design of the oven-steamer provides a water tank and built-in steam generator. The latter can work both independently and be combined with any type of heating, which greatly expands the culinary possibilities of the oven and often shortens the cooking process. After all, hot steam quickly and uniformly affects the inside of the product. Among those who like to cook diet food, the function of a double boiler will be very much in demand.
Step 6. Additional accessories
Some ovens are equipped not only with a grid and baking trays, but also with a spit and / or a thermometer.
The probe is useful for those who often cook meat or poultry in large pieces. With it, you can track the temperature inside the product and the degree of its readiness, catch the very moment when the dish becomes as juicy and tender as possible. Some temperature sensors turn off the device automatically when the required degrees are reached, and some just give a beep.
If desired, the probe can be purchased separately - it will not be attached to the oven, but it will also measure and show the temperature of the product.
Spitrel позволяет готовить мясо без необходимости то и дело переворачивать его и удалять излишки жира. Жир будет стекать при вращении вертела, и блюдо будет обжариваться со всех сторон.
- It is desirable that the spit can be installed diagonally on the camera, then it will accommodate more product.
- However, the spit is not a necessary thing, because in the grill-convection mode, meat can be cooked and on the grate.
Well, if there are telescopic guides in the oven. The fact is that unlike ordinary grooves or metal holders, they allow you to check the degree of readiness of a dish without risk of burning your hands or face. All you need to do is slightly pulling the edge of the tray to roll it out of the camera. Also, telescopic skids can be used during the cooling of cooked food so that the pan does not take up space on the countertop.
The disadvantages of telescopic guides are only two:
- They are somewhat more difficult to clean than conventional holders. Even in the oven with pyrolysis guides need to be cleaned manually and pre-loosen.
- Telescopic rails удорожают духовой шкаф на 1-2 тысячи рублей.
Step 7. Select the color and design
When choosing an electric oven, be guided by the color and style of the kitchen set, as well as the color and style of other appliances, such as a neighboring hood, microwave oven or hob.
Silver oven, selected in the color of the hood
Black oven, selected in the color of the kitchen unit
It is desirable that the oven is not too glossy, otherwise it will often have to wipe fingerprints. Also not very practical devices dark colors - they are particularly noticeable dust, grease, any stain of dirt.
Designs of devices can be conditionally divided into two categories - retro and modern style. Ovens in retro style can have a brass, "forged" or "bronze" fittings, mechanical controls, rounded windows, light hull color and doors.
If the interior of your kitchen is decorated traditionally, then this model is perfect in it will fit. Fortunately, "retro-ovens" are produced by almost all manufacturers.
Modern ovens are often silvery, white or black. Their design is very laconic - straight lines, uncomplicated fittings, often glossy surfaces.
Step 8. Pay attention to important trivia
Door духовки должна легко открываться и надежно фиксироваться в любом положении (без полного раскрытия или захлопывания). Окошко в дверце должно быть прозрачным, чтобы в нем было хорошо видно содержимое камеры.
The number of glasses in the door window varies from 1 to 4. The more glass, the less the door is heated and the less the risk of accidentally burning yourself.
Tangential cooling of the camera
For a built-in electric oven, blowing walls with cold air is a fundamentally important option. Thanks to her frame and neighboring equipment (for example, a refrigerator that does not tolerate heat) will not get hurt.
Protection from children
If there are children in your house, be sure that the selected oven has the function of locking the buttons and the door.
Backlight камеры есть в любом электрическом духовом шкафу, но в некоторых моделях сгоревшие лампы не так-то просто заменить без помощи специалиста.
Step 9. We study prices and ratings of manufacturers
Conditionally, electric ovens can be divided into three price categories.
- The first category includes "workhorses" worth up to 20 thousand rubles - these are reliable models with a basic set of functions: top and bottom heating, convection, grill, timer, camera lighting. Inexpensive ovens are manufactured by well-known manufacturers Bosch, Hansa, Ariston, Samsung and others.
- To the average price category, you can refer to the oven for up to 40 thousand rubles. Such models have a basic set of options, grill, auto programs, self-cleaning function. Gorenje, Kuppersberg, De'Longhi, Kaiser.
- Oven extra-class can stand from 40 to 300 thousand rubles. Such units are endowed with a maximum of functions, perhaps a vaulted camera, as well as a good finish and design. Expensive devices produce brands: ILVE (Italy), Miele (Germany), SMEG (Italy), De Dietrich (France) and, of course, La Cornue (France).