Large and small household appliances are the "workhorses" of your kitchen. For their purchase, as a rule, it takes about 9% of the total kitchen budget, which is quite a bit, given how much benefit they bring every day and how long they serve. Therefore, technology should be treated as an investment and choose it wisely. Prepare yourself for a techno-shopping and do not go crazy about the number of offers you will help our guide.
Why should I buy built-in equipment?
In the choice of kitchen appliances there are two main questions: how it works and how it fits into the interior. Solving the second question is not difficult - just select the embedded technology instead of a detached one. It is not much more expensive, but it allows without compromising functionality to create an ideal design and even save precious centimeters. Yes, and care for the kitchen with built-in appliances is much easier. Therefore, our kind advice, which we want to give you - embed everything that is possible!
- Especially relevant is the built-in technique for small kitchens (the unity of all surfaces visually facilitates tight space) or interiors, decorated in classic style, where chromium and metal are not appropriate.
What to buy?
The minimum "vital" set of appliances for the kitchen includes:
- The hob;
Depending on the needs of the household and the kitchen area, you can add to the shopping list:
- Dish washer;
- Small household appliances (microwave oven, coffee maker, mixer, combine, blender and other appliances).
If the kitchen is small (area 5-7 sq. M.), Then, most likely, you will have to limit yourself to a minimal set - cooking surface, oven and fridge. However, "playing" with the furniture and layout of the kitchenette, you can try to fit a narrow dishwasher (width 45 cm) and install a built-in recirculation hood with a retractable visor. The latter will save the space for the locker. And those who rarely bakes, you can advise to replace the oven with a microwave oven with convection and grill functions.
A small kitchen with built-in appliances - a narrow dishwasher and a hob with hob with two burners
At what stage of the arrangement of the kitchen is it better to buy machinery?
Ideally, you need to choose the technique after designing the kitchen, but before starting the repair. Knowing the total capacity, dimensions and future location of all devices, builders will be able to bring communications in the right places and make up the correct design of the electrical wiring. Thus, you will not have problems with lack of power outlets and power, when the walls are already painted, and the headset is assembled.
For more information on how to plan for yourself the electricians project in the kitchen, read here and here.
How to choose a refrigerator?
Choosing a refrigerator, first of all, you should consider its size - it depends on how the device is built into the headset or, if you choose a detached model, into the kitchen space.
- For mini-kitchens up to 7 square meters. m narrow narrow, but high models - a width of 45-55 cm and a height of up to 2 m.
Narrow built-in refrigerator in the interior of a small kitchen in Khrushchev
It also makes sense to look at the small refrigerators built in under the countertop.
- For large kitchens and large families it is better to choose a refrigerator side-by-side, reminiscent of a wardrobe in which one camera is a refrigerator and the other is a freezer.
It is desirable that the refrigerator has a cooling system No frost, so as not to worry about the formation of ice. Another positive factor of choice - the presence of a zone of freshness, in which, because of zero temperature, it is good to store chilled meat, soups and so on.
- 4 stages of the choice of an embedded refrigerator and the nuances of its installation
- 10 criteria for choosing a refrigerator, which you need to know before buying
- How to arrange a refrigerator in the kitchen
How to choose a hob?
To select a hob, first you need to determine what type it should be - gas, electric or induction? If your kitchen is gasified, then it's easiest to change nothing and install a gas stove. Firstly, it is more convenient to prepare it, secondly, it is more economical, and thirdly, the replacement of a gas cooker with an electric one is simply very troublesome and requires coordination.
Built-in gas hob with independent oven
Which stove is better - electric or induction? In our opinion, the induction plate is preferable, though not without flaws. Its main advantage lies in the super-rapid heating of dishes and greater energy efficiency compared to the electrical panel. So, for example, 5 liters of water on an induction cooker can be boiled in just 5-6 minutes, and on a regular one - for half an hour! Cons: slightly higher cost, less impact resistance of the panel, compatibility only with stainless steel, iron and aluminum utensils with a ferromagnetic bottom, and incompatibility with the oven (it can only be placed next to the panel, but not under it).
- By the way, if you want, you can buy a hob with two induction burners and two conventional.
- If the kitchen is small, and the family consists of two or three people, then the model with two or three burners will be very handy.
Gas hob for 3 burners in the interior of a small kitchen
- The hob may depend on the oven. In this case, both devices have a single control panel and are separated from each other only by the table top. In fact - it's an old kind plate, only built-in. Such kits, as a rule, are cheaper, they are more convenient to operate and maintain and just free from the pain of choice.
- All the nuances of choosing a gas hob
- How to choose a hob - 15 questions and answers
How to choose an oven?
The oven can be gas or electric. The latter option is more multifunctional. It can have not only convection functions (in gas ovens this function is not available in every model), two-level heating and grilling, but also defrosting products, as well as a 3D mode that allows cooking several dishes at once. In some ovens, you can even warm up food like in a microwave, which is especially true for small kitchens (although, still it is not so convenient as in a separate microwave oven).
The oven can be dependent and independent of the hob. About the dependent we have already said. What is good is independent? It allows you to choose a more convenient and rational place for installation, for example, at eye level, and also to choose devices of different sizes. In addition, an independent oven is useful if the hob is gas, and you want an electric oven.
- How to choose an oven in 9 steps
- Choose a gas oven - a cheat sheet for a buyer of 7 steps
How to choose a hood? And do you need it at all?
On the one hand, the hood is not an object of primary necessity, because our parents somehow managed without it. Moreover, it occupies a place in which it was possible to put another locker. On the other hand, the hood helps to protect the whitewashed ceiling from cracks, clean the air (by the way, in the kitchen it is the dirtyest), remove unpleasant smells and smoke. Especially necessary hood in the kitchen with a gas stove, in the kitchen-living room or kitchen in the studio.
Here are the main principles of choice:
- The hood should match the size of the panel;
- The productivity of the hood depends on the size of the room. The bigger it is, the more powerful the device should be. The power of the hood must be calculated according to a special formula (very simple!), Which can be found in Point No. 4 in our detailed guide to the selection of hoods.
- If you choose not a built-in hood, but a dome or inclined, it is very important to choose the right design. In the classical kitchen it is better to install a dome hood (pictured above), and in modern kitchen - inclined (in the photo below). True, the latter is not very effective, some experts even call it decorative.
Sloping cooker hood in the interior of the kitchen
- To save space in a small kitchen, you can choose a hanging hood recirculation type. It does not remove air, but cleans with filters. This hood is compact and allows you to save space for another locker.
For more details, see the material: 8 steps for choosing a hood for the kitchen and 40 photos
How to choose a dishwasher? And do you need it?
They say that those who have washed the dishes in the dishwasher at least once will never give up on it, no matter how hard the conservative might be. Perhaps, we will agree with this statement, because it not only saves precious time, but also water. She also copes with dishwashing much better - with a hundred-year layer of fat in a frying pan, she is finished in one cycle.
- At the same time, without it, the truth can be lived. If your kitchen is very small, perhaps you can refuse from PMM. Although ... you can buy a narrow PMM (width 40-45 cm), designed for 10 sets of dishes or a desktop model for 6 sets.
Narrow built-in dishwasher for 10 sets
How to choose the ideal dishwasher?
- It is advisable to buy a model with a capacity of 2-3 times the required minimum, so that you can save dishes and run the device only once a day, and besides, you can put pans and pans.
- Well, if the machine can operate in a half load mode, it has a turbo drying function, protection from leaks. The optimal number of programs is 5-6.
More details in the material: 11 things you need to know before buying a dishwasher
Small household appliances
Often small appliances are needed in the kitchen no less than the basic "troika". Our guidebooks will help you choose the best (click to go to the articles).
- 6 factors you need to know before buying a microwave oven;
- Guide for choosing a multivark;
- How to choose the perfect coffee machine;
- Step-by-step guide for choosing a juicer;
- Guide for choosing a mixer;
- 12 tips for choosing a bread maker for your home;
- Guide for choosing a submersible and stationary type blender.
And a couple of general tips
- Try to avoid a noisy technique with a noise level of more than 45 dB. The normal noise level for most kitchen appliances is 35-44 dB. Well, if the gadgets will be even lower - with a noise level of 25-34 dB.
- A class of energy efficiency level A is the norm for modern kitchen appliances, moreover, equipment below class A is almost not found in stores. It is desirable that the letter A has pluses or additional letters A.