The kitchen becomes unique and attractive thanks to a skillfully selected finish, interior and decoration. An important role is played by the choice of tiles, which are laid on the walls. It should match the color, combined with the kitchen set or other elements in the room. Also, the tile should be of high quality to last a long time and not lose its appearance.
Ceramic tiles: "for" and "against"
Often, ceramic tiles are used for facing surfaces. Usually the choice in its favor is made if necessary to lay the floor covering. To determine whether to put ceramic tiles on the walls of the kitchen, you need to highlight its advantages and disadvantages.Tile is the most popular decoration when decorating a kitchen apron.
The advantages of such a coating include:
- Strength. This indicator is also important when facing the walls. Exposure from outside can not cause damage to the tile, but only on the condition that it was laid according to the technology.
- Wear resistance. Ceramic tiles can last about 50 years without having to fix something in its appearance.
- Wide range of design will make it possible to implement the most daring design solutions. A variety of colors and textures highlight the features of the kitchen.
- A variety of products, based on the size of the tiles. It can be a tile - a mosaic, standard variants or a wide-format tile. The choice depends on the size and stylistics of the kitchen, as well as the personal preferences of the owner.
- Water resistance. This indicator on the kitchen wall will not be very much in demand, because the moisture level in this room is less than in the bathroom, for example. But this will be an additional bonus.
- High security. Ceramic tiles have a low rate of flammability and do not emit harmful substances when heated.
There are several disadvantages that will complicate the laying process:
- Labor intensity. The ceramic tiles should be laid only on a perfectly flat surface. Sometimes it is very difficult to achieve this from the wall.
- The wall should be dry, therefore, it is necessary to exclude moisture and humidity on the surface.
- Low thermal insulation makes such a tile is not very pleasant to the touch. It's better to lay it on the wall with which the person will not be close.
Advantages ceramic tiles have much more, so it can safely be used on the walls in the kitchen.
Types, sizes and shapes
For the wall covering in the kitchen, several types of tiles can be chosen. It differs in its characteristics, class, size and shape.
Based on the class, it is possible to distinguish a tile of A and B - class. Class A tiles have defined precise edges and an absolutely flat surface. Class B implies the presence of small flaws, because the tile is molded by pressing.
Tip: Tile A - class has a more expensive value, but is valued higher. It is better to acquire it.
Also distinguish the kitchen tile by its ability to absorb water. Here the gradation consists of 4 types:
- the absorption will be 3%.
- 3 - 6 %.
- 6 - 10 %.
- 10 %.
The resistance of tiles to aggressive chemicals that can be used for cleaning it is indicated by the letters: A, AA, B, C, D (from the most resistant to the most unstable).
By type of surface tiles are divided into:
- glossy - has an attractive appearance, it reflects the light well, but it shows divorces and stains;
- opaque - more simple and convenient to care, but outwardly loses glossy;
- embossed - has on its surface a pattern or a convex texture.
Based on the material can be identified:
- Ceramic tiles - it is easy to look after, has an aesthetic appearance and a variety of options.
- Porcelain - sturdy tiles with perfectly smooth surface.
- Ceramic granite - resistant to any external influences. Used to simulate marble and granite.
- Clinker - has high strength, lasts long.
The shape of the product can also be varied: square, rectangular, mosaic of small squares, figured. Recently, the standard square tile is receding into the background, giving way to more original options.Oblong tiles visually expand the room.In addition to standard laying, tiles can be laid out diagonally, in the form of a maze of fir trees or braids.Mosaic tiles are one of the most popular materials for facing the kitchen.
Options for laying tiles on kitchen walls
When choosing a method of laying tiles, it is important that he conceals the shortcomings of the wall and expressively emphasized the kitchen.
That is why it is rational to listen to a few tips:
- If the kitchen is large, it is better to use a large tile, and for medium and small rooms to choose a smaller format.
- If the wall in the kitchen is not exactly flat or has protrusions, the mosaic will hide the flaws and visually brighten the kitchen.
- To make the ceilings higher, and the kitchen - wider, it is necessary to use a bright panel, tiles with horizontal or vertical strips, respectively.
There are such types of laying:
- Parallel - the most traditional technique, which involves laying tiles parallel to the floor.
- Diagonal - allows to expand the room and successfully disguises not the parallel arrangement of the opposite walls.
- Deck - Used to simulate brickwork. It uses rectangular tiles.
- Carpeting - implies a complex composition, which consists of one or several panels, patterns. As a result, the result resembles a carpet.
- Modular - from the tiles of different sizes and textures a single composition is made up. It is better to make such an emphasis on a certain wall.
Such methods will allow to lay tiles on the wall even independently. To do this, you need tools, materials, knowledge and the desire to do the job qualitatively.
What do I need to have when laying tiles on a wall?
To make the process go smoothly, you need to prepare all necessary materials and tools in advance.
- special glue for tiles;
- Capacity to bring the glue to the desired consistency;
- notched trowel;
- construction level;
- tile cutting machine;
- pencil, ruler;
- rubber spatula.
When choosing glue for tiles, you need to pay attention to its appearance. To buy it is necessary a variant with a mark "for internal works". This means that it can only be used indoors.
For laying the tiles on the wall and any other surface that does not deform, use is not made of elastic glue.
To work with ceramic tiles, porcelain stoneware choose gray glue. A glass tile, mosaic and marble stacked on white.
You need to buy those options that are time-tested and have positive feedback.
To such it is possible to carry a glue from manufacturers:
Also at hand should be tiles in the right amount. In order not to be mistaken, it is necessary to calculate several times how much it will be needed taking into account the area of the wall.
Algorithm for calculating the number of tiles needed
In order to find out how many tiles you need, you need to first measure the surface of the wall. To do this, it is best to use a laser tape measure. It will give more accurate results.
If the wall has protruding elements or niches, this must also be taken into account. The calculation is also influenced by the method of laying, whether the pattern will be observed.
The calculation algorithm is simple:
- Calculate the width of the area on which the installation will take place;
- find the length of this zone;
- Calculate the total surface area of the wall;
- Now it is necessary to calculate the area of one tile, multiplying the width by the height;
- get the total number of necessary tiles (the total area of the wall will be divided by the area of one tile).
If you plan to use tiles of different sizes at the same time, the calculation becomes more complicated. It is necessary to perform the operation step by step for each species separately.
What does the preparatory work consist of?
Before you start the main occupation - laying, you need to do the preparatory work. Their volume depends on the condition of the wall and the type of tile. First, carefully align the wall. It should not have flaws and irregularities. This indicator directly affects the final result - whether the tile will look esthetic and stay for a long time.
Tip: Tiles can be pre-soaked in water for several hours to get a better grip on the surface.
Now you need to prepare the base for laying. This procedure includes the following steps:
- It is necessary to attach a guide, which will serve as the base for the first row of tiles. If the tiles in the kitchen are not on one wall, then this guide should be on the second wall. They must be level, otherwise the tile will be laid out crookedly.
- Analyze the surface (where the rosettes are located, holes for pipes, etc.), so you have less to cut the tile.
- Laying begins always with a corner, the main thing - decide on which one, so that there are less obstacles and inconveniences.
When these nuances are considered and the base is ready to work, you can start laying the tiles on the wall.
How to put a tile on a wall in the kitchen: step by step instruction
All preparatory work has been completed, materials and tools have been prepared. Now you can proceed to the most important stage - laying the tiles on the wall.
First you need to dissolve the glue. How to do this, written on the packaging. A lot of glutinous mass is not necessary to plant, because it quickly hardens.
Then you need to fix in the corner a special corner, which will set the direction. Now it is necessary to take a notched trowel and with its help to put glue on a tile. Attach it to the wall. You can apply glue to the wall, not to the tile.Thanks to the construction level, you can adjust the symmetry of the masonry.
Then, by this principle, the entire row of tiles is laid. It is necessary to focus on the guide and not to move away from this vector.Laying the tiles on the walls is carried out with the help of special plastic frogs.
Between the tiles must be inserted special crosses. They will allow to leave space between products, which in the future will have to be wiped.
When there are obstacles on the way, it is necessary to trim the tile. For this, a tile cutter or glass cutter is suitable. First you need to make all the measurements, note the line with a pencil, and afterwards cut it. For this, the Bulgarian can also come in handy. Especially if you need to cut out the shape.
Kitchen with ceramic apron will be appropriate to look in any style of the interior.
Tip: During the process, you must constantly use the level and make sure that there is no distortion. After the tiles are laid, you need to remove the crosses, wipe the seams. Now you can wipe the tile with a damp cloth.
The kitchen is significantly transformed, if you select its walls with spectacular tiles. If you understand the process a little, choose the right material and technology, you can independently cope with the task and get a decent result.
How to put a tile in the kitchen (video)
Tile on the walls of the kitchen (real photo)