It's so cool in summer and winter to always have fresh greens on hand, for example, a bow bow. After all, it is so often needed for salads and pies, and it is very easy to grow it directly on the windowsill. In this material you will find 2 step-by-step instructions on how to grow a green onion at home on the water or in the ground.
Method 1. How to grow onions in green water
It would seem that this way of growing onions at home is so simple and known to everyone that does not even require instructions. You just need to put the head in the water and wait for the harvest. However, this method has two problems - the rapid decay of the vegetable and the appearance of an unpleasant odor. To minimize these costs and accelerate the growth process, we suggest to grow onions by the following advanced instruction.
What you need:
- Ordinary bulb from the store. Ideally, it is better to pick up the already sprouted onions with small arrows. However, any bow is medium in size, the main thing is that the head was tight and healthy.
- Glass or jar with a small neck.
- Standing water.
- Activated carbon 1-2 tablets.
Step 1. First of all, you need to prepare the bulb for forcing. To do this, first we clean the onion from the upper layer of the husk, pierce its root cup with a skewer and cut off the tip of the head 1-1.5 cm as shown in the photo (if the onion is already sprouted, then the top should not be cut off).
Preparation of onions in forcing water
Step 2. Next, we need to lower the onion into a container of water exactly enough so that the water covers only its root cup. This is necessary in order for the onion to take roots, but it will release them in a day.
Step 3. After one day, when the onions have roots, you can drain some water from the glass so that the water covers only them and does not touch the cup. This simple trick will allow the onion not to rot and not to cause an unpleasant smell.
Step 4. It remains only to wait 2 weeks and during this time periodically change the water. Once the feathers grow to about 15 cm, it will be time to harvest.
Tips and Tricks:
- To keep the onion even longer, add 1-2 tablets of activated carbon to the water.
- If you want to grow a lot of onions at home, while spending a minimum of effort, get a hydroponic installation "Onion Happiness" in the store. It works as follows: 20 heads are inserted into the wells, the container is filled with water, then the compressor creates an air-water environment. Due to the fact that the root cups almost do not touch the water, the bulbs do not rot, and due to the saturation of the roots with oxygen, yield 2 crops a month 30-40 cm in length.
- It is very convenient to sprout on the windowsill just a dozen bulbs in the package from under the eggs. In order to build such a "hydroponic installation" with your own hands, you only need to divide the container into two halves, cut out holes in the cells of the upper "tier", and fill the bottom "tray" with water and cut off excess tubercles. Then fold the two pieces on top of each other and put wooden skewers between them, as shown in the photo below.
- By the same principle, you can grow your own hands on the windowsill and the leeks bought in the store. To do this, cut off the white roots (in the photo below) from the feathers, and then place them in a container of water, just 1 cm deep. Leave roots for 2 weeks in water, periodically changing it (better each day). However, a week after the forcing, when there are young shoots, the leek can be transplanted into the ground.
Method 2. How to grow onions on greens in the ground
Growing onions on the feather of the house is best in the ground, and not in the water. It is almost as simple, but the bulb can yield at least 2 times, stand for 1-2 months and at the same time, it practically does not emit a smell. In addition, if you put turnips in a pretty pot, then your mini-garden will also decorate your windowsill.
What you need:
- Priming. In winter, you can purchase a suitable primer in the store (eg, it can be a mixture for cacti with a high content of sand or just a universal soil), and in summer - take the soil from the nearest land.
- Several small healthy bulbs, preferably not fresh, but stayed a couple of months and let down the sprouts. If you want, you can grow a nest on the nib, but then you'll have to wait for feathers, and you will not be able to use the sprouted seed for the second time. Another alternative to onions - leeks. It must first be germinated in water for 7 days (as described in the first instruction) and only then transplanted into the ground.
- Container, pot or any other container of suitable size.
- Persistent water for irrigation.
Step 1. From the selected reps, we remove one layer of the upper husk, cut 1-1.5 cm of tops (if bulbs without shoots), and then soak their root cups for a couple of hours or more in warm water so that they sprout a little. All these techniques will accelerate the growth of feathers.
Step 2. While the bulbs are soaked, cover the soil with a depth of 4-7 cm in the container.
Step 3. Now, we put the bulbs or sowing seeds every 2 cm, but without burial. That is, so that only the root cups of the heads touch the soil. Remember that the smaller the bulb touches the soil, the less likely it will start to rot. When you plant all the onions, pour the earth with a little warm water, so that the soil becomes slightly moistened, and the onions are not soaked.
- To plant the nest on a feather, you need to use loose ground and onions to plant a depth of 1-2 cm tightly to each other.
- To plant leeks it should be dug also into loose ground to a depth of 2 cm. But wait for the harvest to take longer - about three weeks.
Step 4. Immediately put onion beds on the windowsill is not worth it: it is better to remove it in a dark cool place for germination for a few days. If you planted already laid and sprouted onions, then you can do without this stage.
Step 5. Well, that's all. Now it remains only to wait a couple of weeks, when the greens grow to 15 cm, and at this time lightly water the bed 1 time in 3-4 days. Cut mature feathers in the middle of the beam and not too close to the onion, then it will have shoots that will soon yield the next harvest.
Tips and Tricks:
- To save space on the windowsill, you can create a vertical bed with your own hands. To do this, take a 5-liter plastic bottle with a firm bottom, cut off the neck, make a few holes on the bottom and cut the holes in the staggered pattern at intervals of 3-4 cm (you will get about 4 tiers). Then gradually fill the bottle with soil.
Planting bulbs in a vertical bed from a bottle
- Once the soil reaches the first tier, place it in the bulb holes as shown in the photo above, pour the ground and repeat the steps to fill the bottle to the top. Put the bottle on a plate and water for 2 weeks every 4 days.
- Leeks and onions can be grown on a single bed.
- Another secret: to always have fresh greenery in the house, grow onions in 2-3 containers, planting them every 10 days. Then you will get a "vitamin conveyor".
- To speed up the process of growth and improve the taste of greenery, in the evening and at night the garden bed on the windowsill can be illuminated with a fluorescent lamp. Especially this advice is relevant in winter.
- Also for greater juiciness, you can periodically spray feathers, but so that moisture does not fall on the turnips themselves.
- In summer, make sure that the temperature in the area of the window sill where the onion is growing does not rise above 30 °. Otherwise, the pen will cease to grow. To protect the crop from overheating, you can wrap the tray with foil.