Topiary ("tree of happiness", "European tree") is a decorative small tree decorated with interiors and exteriors, and is also often used for table setting. Topiary are good in that they look very beautiful, and you can do it yourself with your hands literally for 1 evening from improvised materials.
- This means that you can make several decorations at once, for example, one pair for New Year's serving, another for Easter, and a couple for a fireplace shelf.
In this material you will find 1 basic instruction on how to make a topiary for yourself for beginners, as well as 3 step-by-step master classes in addition to it and 45 photo-ideas for inspiration.
Basic instruction for beginners
The topiary of even the most complex design is done approximately according to the same principle. Having mastered the basic manufacturing technology, you can create a variety of topiary, changing only the materials for decoration.
So, to make a mini-tree with your own hands, you will need to create it:
- The base of the tree.
Step 1. Planning a design
Topiary can be different not only in design, but also in terms of service life. Before you start to work, think about what you need a "tree of happiness" and where will it live? Appointment and future place of the topiary will determine its style, color scale and even materials for its creation.
If you want to make topiarias for a festive table setting, the materials can be used not too long-term - paper, napkins, candies, fresh flowers, fruits. If you want to make a topiary for a gift or for decorating an interior, it is better to use a more reliable decor - cones, artificial flowers, coffee beans, ribbons, organza, etc.
In the next selection of photos you can get ideas for thematic and celebratory topiariy.
- An example of a wedding topiary made by hands of pearls, silk flowers and flowers, twisted from satin ribbons on the base of a candlestick
- Wedding topiary with a pearl crown
- Wedding topiary made from natural branches with a crown of real flowers and floral foam
Sweet topiari of sweets for children's holiday
Decoration for Halloween with pot snuff in the pot
Ornaments for Halloween from pumpkin seeds, ribbons and sweets in cans from under the tea
Easter trees from eggs, artificial flowers, satin ribbons and moss
Christmas topiary from artificial leaves and berries of holly, cones and ribbons with trunk from a branch
A tree of sweets for a festive table
Topiary for festive table setting from artificial flowers, natural branches, dry moss and satin ribbons
Topiary of fresh flowers for a festive table
- Topiary made of corrugated paper
- Topiary made of corrugated paper
But a selection of photo-examples of design exclusively interior topiary (skip!).
Step 2. Preparation of materials
To make the topiary yourself, you will need:
- A plastic ball with a diameter of 8-12 cm (sold in many office and art shops) or a ball of floral foam (sold in shops for gardening and flower shops).
If desired, the ball can be made independently of foam, the same floral foam, mounting foam, papier-mache, etc. However, the base of the crown can be not only in the form of a ball, but also in the form of a heart, a star, a figure, a letter, an animal figure and etc.
- Decor for the crown - depending on your idea, use flowers, satin ribbons, organza, coffee beans, money bills, etc.
- The trunk - it can be made from a dry and clean branch, a simple pencil or any other stick. In addition, the trunk and pot can replace the tall candlestick.
- Decor for the trunk - the trunk can at least be covered with matte varnish or paint. And as a maximum - wrap one or two ribbons.
- Kashpo - it is most convenient to pour the mixture into a clay pot, but any cute cups, mugs, vintage buckets, etc.,
- Fixing mixture - it is best to make topiary with your own hands a mixture of alabaster, because it quickly freezes, almost does not crack and is cheap. Also you can use a cement-sand mortar, gypsum or putty. However, not only binders can fix the tree in the pot, but also the same foam, floristic foam or stones.
- All for mixing the mixture - a container, water, stick, etc.
- Decor for masking the fixing mixture - to create an imitation of the soil cover, it is best to use natural materials: dry moss, fine pebbles, expanded clay, sisal fiber. Also suitable artificial moss and stones. In the pots of "edible" topiary, you can impose candy and dragees.
- Glue gun and several glue sticks - if necessary, you can replace it with glue like "Moment", but it is best not to do this, as the glue in the gun is more convenient, and above all - it allows you to remove random "spiders".
- Scissors or cutter.
- Portnevsky pin-studs with a very small hat (not required, used in addition or instead of glue, for example, for fastening beads).
- Side cutters or nippers for trimming trunks or any decor elements.
At the preparatory stage, divide the decorative details for the crown into groups - for example, large, medium and small. So it will be more convenient for you to alternate the decor and distribute it on the ball evenly.
Step 3. Creating the crown
First, you need to mark the balloon on the balloon - mark the place for attaching the barrel and around it indicate the border, for which up to some time you do not need to go in, pasting the decor. Thanks to this technique, in the future you can easily fix the barrel in a ball without damaging the decor.
Marking for fastening the barrel
As soon as the glue warms up, proceed to decorating the ball in the following order: "fitting" the parts without glue - applying glue to the desired place - fixing the part. Remember that you need to act quickly, so that the glue does not have time to soak into the foam. That is why it is better to first decorate and decorate the decor.
- Creation of the crown
Here are a few more nuances:
- Stick decor on the ball you need from the largest elements and ending with small ones. For example, if you make a topiary from artificial flowers, then first glue the largest buds, then medium ones and only then - small flowers and additional beads.
- Some decor can be fixed on the ball with the help of tailor pins-studs. But it's best to combine cloves with glue.
- If some parts have bases made of wire (for example, the same artificial flowers), then from their "tails" you need to leave about 2 cm. Then you can not only paste the decor, but also stick it into the ball.
- That the white ball-base was less visible in the gaps between the pasted parts, it can be painted in the tone of the decor.
Step 4. Decorative trunk and its attachment to the crown
Now we need to work with the trunk. As already mentioned, making it with your own hands is not at all difficult from a branch, a pencil or any stick.
If you use a branch, you can not paint it, but only cover it with matte varnish, so that the natural beauty of the tree is visible. If you use a wooden stick, it can only be lightly toned, artificially aged, etc. If you want to disguise the entire surface of the barrel, then you can wrap around it satin ribbons, cloth, paper, rope or completely paint.
How long should it be? Since the trunk deepens both into the pot and into the bowl, its length can be calculated by the following formula:
- Barrel length = 1/3 of the diameter of the ball + height of the pot + desired length of the trunk between the crown and the pot.
To mount the barrel, it is necessary to make a hole with a depth of about 2-3 cm (depending on its size) at the marking spot with a knife and a knife. When the hole is ready, fill it with a thermo-glue and plant the crown on the stem until it stops. Then continue to hold the trunk and gradually fill the hole with glue around the trunk.
Fastening of two intertwined barrels
- Keep in mind that the thermo-adhesive melts the foam and further deepens the hole. To prevent the trunk from going deeper into the crown more than 1/3 of its diameter, small pieces of paper can be laid between the layers of glue.
Once the barrel is fixed in the bowl, disguise the place of attachment with the decor.
Step 5. Preparation of the binder mixture and fixation of the tree in the pot
It's time to "plant" the resulting tree in a pot. For this you need:
- Stepping away from the edge of the pot about 2.5 cm, put a mark - to this level will be poured mixture. If there is a hole in the bottom of the pot, you need to cover it with adhesive tape or thermo-glue.
Filling the hole in the pot with glue
- Dilute the mixture according to the manufacturer's instructions and fill it with a pot.
- Align and fix the topiary in the pot, holding its trunk until the mixture hardens.
- Leave the mixture overnight, until it dries completely.
Fixation of the barrel in a mixture of alabaster
Tip: As already noted, it is best to use as a binder mixture of alabaster. To fill 1 medium pot, it is necessary to dilute approximately 1 kg of alabaster with 600 ml of water. The mixture is kneaded for about 1-2 minutes to the consistency of thick sour cream, and then quickly poured into a pot and fixed in it topiary for 2-3 minutes.
Step 6. Decorating the cover of the "soil" and the pot
Hooray! The topiary is almost ready, it remains only to create an imitation of the soil in the pot and mask the fixing mixture. If you use sisal fiber (see photo), seashells, artificial grass or moss, then they need to be fixed with a small amount of glue.
Master Class 1. Topiary corrugated paper
Topiary with paper flowers is especially suitable for decorating a festive table or festive decoration of an interior. So, for example, this topiary of roses was made for St. Valentine's Day.
- Bowl base 12 cm in diameter;
- Corrugated (creped paper) of medium density (the master class uses corrugated paper in the form of tape, but you can use conventional rolls);
- Bars of floristic foam and / or any fixing mixture (see basic instructions);
- Kashpo or pot for the base of topiary;
- The trunk is about 30 cm long;
- Dry moss for pot decoration;
- Tape for decor trunk;
- The glue gun.
Step 1. Cut the corrugated paper into strips with a length of 60 cm and a width of about 4.5-5 cm. If the paper is too dense and stiff, remember the strips a little to make them more plastic.
Step 2. Now you need to turn the resulting ribbons into roses buds. This is done very simply, enough pair-three trainings and the principle becomes clear. Take one of the resulting paper strips and tuck it in 1/3 as shown in the photo below.
Then bend one end of the tape diagonally at an angle of 45 degrees and start folding it into a roll. After three turns you will get the heart of the bud. Now free end wrap in the outside, and the core of the rose continue to fold - wow, you got the first petal.
Continue also twisting the roll-bud, while turning the free end of the tape until it ends. At the end, fix the base of the rose with a speller or glue in the gun.
Such roses should be made quite a lot - about 80 pieces, so it's more pleasant to twist them sitting, say, watching a movie.
Step 3. Take the ball-base and mark on it the place to mount the barrel. Next, start gluing the balloon with flowers.
Step 4. As soon as the crown is covered with roses completely, attach the trunk to it (see Step 4 of the Basic Instruction). In this master class, the barrel was previously painted with aerosol paint in white.
Step 5. Further fill the pot with floral foam (see photo) or fixing mixture (see Step 5 of the Basic Instruction), and then fix the tree in the base.
The basis of topiary made from a bar of floristic foam
Mounting of topiary in the base of floristic foam
Step 6. Put the dry moss on the "soil" and glue it in some places on the thermo-glue. Finally, tie a bow on the trunk.
In the next selection of photos, there are other ideas for the design of the topiary that you can make with your own hands on this master class, not only from corrugated paper, but also from satin ribbons, paper,
By the way, paper can be made not only roses, but also lush peonies or hydrangeas. Ways to make such colors are easy to find on the Internet
Read also the material: Flowers from paper with their own hands - 4 master classes for beginners.
Master class 2. Topiary of artificial flowers
Topiary of artificial flowers can become a permanent adornment of a dining table, a cabinet-display, a coffee table, a mantelpiece. At what in most cases it is better to do just two identical trees in order to create a sense of symmetry in the interior. And the topiary of artificial flowers is a great idea for a gift or a wedding decoration.
- 2 pcs. artificial hydrangeas or several other colors;
- Ball-base diameter of 10 cm;
- Acrylic paint in the tone of colors (for painting the ball);
- Foam brush-roller;
- Clay pot;
- The trunk (in this project a trunk and a pot from the factory topiary are used);
- Cotton band with contrasting colors;
- Glue gun;
- Stationery knife or awl;
- Cutter or wire cutter for cutting the wire base of flowers.
Step 1. First paint the balloon with paint in the tone of the colors and leave it to dry.
Step 2. While the ball dries, separate the flowers from the "stems".
- If your flower has wire "stems", then leave the tail of about 2 cm from them. Use a side cutter or wire cutters for cutting.
- If the wire does not have flowers, it does not matter. Cut the "stems" under the root so that in future the flowers can be simply glued.
Step 3. Mark on the ball the place where the trunk will be fastened and begin to paste flowers, keeping an equal interval between them. It is advisable that the petals go to each other so that the ball under them is practically not visible. The area near the attachment point of the trunk is left without flowers.
- The flowers on the wire should be fastened to the ball in the following sequence: creating a hole for the "stem" - filling the hole with a drop of glue - planting the flower until it stops (see photo below).
In this master class, the flowers were divided in staggered order with an interval of about 2.5 cm.
Step 4. Do in the ball hole for the trunk with an awl / knife, fill it with glue and attach the topiary according to the recommendations of Step 4 of our Basic Instruction. Next, to the base of the crown, glue one or several leaves at once, as shown in the photo below. In our master class, the hydrangea leaf was additionally fixed in the desired position with a pin.
Fixing an artificial leaf to the base of topiary
After that, empty the area near the trunk, decorate with flowers.
Step 5. Install the topiary in some fixing mixture and decorate the "soil" (see Step 5 and Step 6 of the Basic Instruction). The final touch is a bow from a wide cotton ribbon, tied on the trunk under the very crown.
Below are the ideas of decorating with artificial flowers that you can implement with the help of our master class.
Master class 3. Topiary from satin ribbons
Topiary from satin ribbons will be especially appropriate on the festive table, for example, on the occasion of the birthday of the child, the New Year or Valentine's Day.
- Lots of satin or any other ribbon of different colors;
- Clay pot or any pots;
- Ball of foam or floristic foam;
- Fixing mixture or floral foam;
- Portnevsky pin-studs (with small hats);
- Glue gun;
- Materials for decorating the base of topiary.
See also: Flowers from tapes with their own hands - 6 master classes for beginners.
Step 1. Paint the pot with aerosol paint and let it dry.
Step 2. Insert the stick into the ball according to Step 4 of the Basic Instruction.
Step 3. Place the wood blank in the fixing mixture (see Step 5 of the Basic Instruction) or floristic foam.
Step 4. Cut the tape roll into a set of ribbons 7-8 cm long. To save time, cut the tape, folding it into several layers. Tapes of different colors are better not to mix, so that later it would be easier for you to distribute them on the ball evenly.
Step 5. Take one ribbon and make a loop from it as shown in the photo below. In the place where the ends meet with each other, stick the studs, and then insert it completely into the ball. Repeat these steps until the whole ball is encrusted with ribbons.
Loop from tape
Step 6. Once the crown of the topiary is framed, put in a pot of candy, paper in silence, stones or any other decor.
The following photos show other examples of decorating with tapes.
Read also: How to make a topiary from coffee