The main secret of functional lighting of the kitchen is its multi-level. Each functional area - where the dishes are washed, the working area, the zone of food intake - should be well lit. Let's figure out which light sources will help solve this problem.
The basic rules of lighting in the kitchen
Making a lighting project in the kitchen is not an easy task. Light has a great influence on the organization of space. With its help, you can visually increase and reduce the kitchen, highlight certain areas and obscure others.
If the lighting is designed correctly, the fixtures are chosen with love and in accordance with the interior, then the work in the kitchen for the mistress will be a joy, and family dinners will become a tradition.
So, what basic rules for effective kitchen lighting can be specified:
- In the kitchen should always be light. In the daytime there should be natural light, in the evening and in the dark - artificial. A well-lit room has a positive effect on the psyche and stimulates appetite.
- However, it is important not to overdo it with artificial lighting. Strongly bright light cuts the eye and is not always economical from a financial point of view. The more light sources in the kitchen - the less power they need.
- Only multi-level lighting will allow to distribute streams of light throughout the kitchen, creating a unique style.
- In fashion - minimalism. If you are trying to create a comfortable modern functional space, your choice is strict laconic forms, smooth lines. Moreover, this is not just a fashion trend, but also the convenience of cleaning contaminated surfaces.
- Do not forget that times when the kitchen hung a single ceiling in the center of the ceiling, have long since passed. Large ceiling lamps are perfectly combined with spot lighting, with an LED ribbon along the apron and even with a sconce near the dining table.
- Consider the color scheme of the kitchen. Light walls and facades will reflect up to 80% of the flow of light, dark - only 12%.
- The working area requires a power of 100 W / m2; for the lunch will be enough 50 W / m2.
- The distance from the water from all light sources should not be less than 60 cm.
- Do not be afraid to experiment, and sooner or later you will find the option that will be yours.
Organization of common light in the kitchen
When organizing general lighting, it is necessary to take into account the most natural. To the kitchen was a lot of light, you need to use transparent or translucent curtains, or opening the blinds.
The only exception can be only the first floors - they need some protection for curious views of passers-by.
The lighter the walls, the more light they will reflect. The kitchen with light walls will look more illuminated than the same, but with dark walls.
The main lighting is traditionally a ceiling light. The usual whitened ceilings with a lamp on the hook in the center have long since sunk into the past. Today's trend - stretch ceilings, multi-level. Stretch ceilings allow you to play with lighting.
Chandelier under the ceiling for the interior is not excluded. Without a chandelier anywhere in the classical interior, and even modern without it will be boring.
The only rule for selecting a chandelier is the ceiling height. If the ceilings are low, it is better to select a creeper, and with high ceilings, you can pick up a hanging lamp.
More details on how to choose a chandelier for the kitchen can be read here.
In long kitchens, the idea of basic lighting can be supported by a series of hanging ceiling lamps. However, in very large rooms, 4-5 luminaires arranged in a row above the dining table will help to distinguish the dining area, even if it is not in the center.
Please note that the downlights will illuminate the space below them. If the ceiling lights are directed upwards, the light will reflect from the ceiling canvas and gently dissipate, providing a cozy look to the kitchen.
Organization of spot lighting
Point lighting will look organic in modern minimalism, loft, high-tech styles. But at the same time it can organically supplement the main lighting in classical styles.
The layout of the ceiling spotlights can be different: perimeter, circle, two parallel lines and even in a checkerboard pattern.
Ceiling lighting in the kitchen in the form of a general background, complementing the functional - over the working area, for example.
When organizing lighting in the kitchen, you need to think about its correspondence to the interior. For example, if the kitchen is small, it is recommended to use light wallpaper and curtains, so that the light streams, reflecting from them, visually expand the space.
The same applies to the ceiling. Glossy ceiling, reflecting the rays of light, will help to form a higher perception of the room.
Work area lighting
The illumination of the working area determines the convenience of working in the kitchen. The backlighting is organized depending on the location of the working area.
If the kitchen is traditional type, the working area is under the hanging cabinets, then the lamps are placed on the bottom of the lockers.
In the kitchen in the style of high-tech lamps can be placed on the rails. If the narrow lockers are located in one row higher than usual, then you can arrange the lighting directly on the apron.
As light sources, you can use directional lights that will not blind people sitting at the table people, or light-emitting diode tapes giving scattered light - quite sufficient for work. The simplest option is the conventional overhead spotlights, which mount directly to the bottom of the lockers.
What can be the rules for placing fixtures on the bottom of the lockers:
- they can be installed in a corner between the bottom of the cabinet and the apron, in the middle of the bottom surface of the locker or closer to the end;
- if lighting is installed under the cupboard above the washing zone - the lamp must be waterproof. Here, the backlight can be brighter, but it is also important that it does not blind the eyes.
Organically will look the fixtures illuminating the working area, placed above the hanging cabinets from above with directional light.
When choosing the type of fixtures, it is necessary to consider the following features:
- The built-in lighting looks neat and does not strike the eye, but it is much harder to mount and requires the drilling of hinged cabinets.
- Overheads are more visible visually, but are easier to install (they do not need to cut openings in furniture), they are easier to change the light bulbs.
- LED strip helps to realize any configuration - triangular and round in different places. It's very easy to install this LED backlight. However, the LED module requires connection via a transformer, which increases its cost.
- Point spots are ideal for lighting table tops and furniture. They come in different types and sizes, can be built-in swivel and overhead. Spots with LEDs do not lose brightness over time and do not emit heat.
Lighting of the dining area
The dining table should have a soft, non-irritating lighting. To be able to make the most of natural light, the table should be placed near the window.
However, if the table is at the wall, you can use a pair of small wall sconces, and if the table is in the center of the kitchen - the ideal solution will be ceiling lights.
Several lamps with shades suitable for the interior of the kitchen and with the ability to adjust the height - a traditional option for any kitchen. By the way, the adjustment of the luminaire along the length is an excellent option for a small kitchen.
Dropped down above the table such a lamp will create a comfortable light for food, and raised to the ceiling - organizes general lighting.
Picking up fixtures, you need to consider the shape of the furniture. If the table is oval or rectangular, ideally it is necessary to place 2-3 lamps in a row above it: this arrangement will help illuminate the table evenly. For a round table, one pendant lamp above the center of the countertop will suffice.
The light source should be slightly above the eye level, about 60 cm above the table. For the adjustable model at the lowest position of the lamp, the circle of light must match the dimensions of the table top.
Lighting in cabinets
Backlighting in the kitchen cabinets will do a good job when you have to look for something in the depths. As a rule, it will perform purely functional tasks only in the lower deeper cabinets.
In the upper cabinets, the backlight can also perform decorative functions if the furniture doors have glass inserts. Such lighting can even visually expand the room. The easiest option is to decorate this with an LED strip.
Decorative lighting in the kitchen
Decorative lighting does not carry any functional load, but it should give comfort to the room. A very good option for lighting is a LED strip placed between the kitchen set and the ceiling. This design technique is great for compact kitchens - it will make them higher.
Another great option for small kitchens is the lighting of the base of the furniture set. This solution creates the feeling that the kitchen seems to float in the air.
To create decorative lighting, you can use the LED ribbon to highlight the pictures, you can hang a sconce over the same pictures, photos and plates.
In a dark kitchen, if a few sconces are placed along the perimeter at the same height, the space will visually expand.
If you need to separate the functional spaces of the kitchen / studio, you can also use light accents created by decorative lighting.
Either it can be a series of ceiling lights, backlight bar, backlight in the floor, or wall sconce.
Which bulbs to choose
For lighting it is possible to arrange light bulbs of different types, differing in power, economy, in design.
The most popular today are:
- incandescent lamps: a major drawback of which - uneconomic energy consumption made them less popular compared to past decades;
- LED lamps are a good economical alternative to incandescent lamps. In addition, the price of them falls every year, and the range only increases;
- fluorescent lamps are also an order of magnitude more economical than incandescent lamps and last much longer;
- Halogen lamps allow creating original interior solutions thanks to a huge variety of shapes;
- LED strip is chosen according to the size, the number of crystals and their brightness.
When choosing lighting fixtures for lighting kitchen zones, you must adhere to a single concept, so that they do not conflict with each other in color or size.
Fixtures should be easy to clean, do not be afraid of water, do not get dirty from any touch. Only by observing all these rules, you can create a beautiful and comfortable kitchen space.
How to organize lighting in the kitchen video
The correct lighting of the kitchen - in the cabinets and drawers, on the ceiling and on the floor, will transform your kitchen. Options for placement of LED backlight.
How to organize lighting in the kitchen correctly (real photo examples)