Whatever refrigerator you have, say, a modern Samsung with an auto-defrost system or an old Biryusa, it must be periodically thawed.
- How often do I have to defrost the refrigerator? In this issue there are no strict rules, the main thing that you need to orient yourself on is the appearance of ice. The refrigerator of the old model without any auto-defrosting system, requires frequent defrosting - about once a month. If you have a modern refrigerator with a No frost system, Frost free or Full No Frost (two-compressor), then one on-duty defrost in half a year will be enough.
- Why do I need to clean up the ice? The ice layer, and especially the thick ice coat inside the freezing / refrigerating compartment, not only complicates access to the products, but also causes the compressor to work more with less efficiency, while increasing your electricity bills.
- Why is ice formed? The appearance of icing occurs due to the ingress of warm air into the refrigerator / freezer compartment while the door is open. If you notice that the ice coat grows too fast, then most often the cause of this is damage to the thermostat or sealing rubber.
With the help of our step-by-step instruction, you can defrost any refrigerator - one-or two-compressor, old or modern, with the function of No frost, Frost freeze (drip defrost system) or full nau frost, brands Atlant, Veko, Nord, Ariston, Samsung, Bosh, Gorenje, Lg, Liebherr, Whirlpool, Zanussi, Electrolux, Indesit, or Stinol.
See also: How to clean the iron inside and out - 10 home methods.
Defrosting the refrigerator in 8 steps
Step 1. Adjust the temperature of the refrigerator to 0 degrees, then unplug it from the power and open the door unbuttoned.
- How to properly defrost the refrigerator with two compressors? The principle is the same, the only difference is that its cameras can be unfrozen by turns or simultaneously.
Step 2. Remove all food from the camera. Well, if defrosting the refrigerator you planned in advance and were able to organize supplies so that among them there are no perishable and frozen foods. And if not? To save the products while defrosting the refrigerator, the following tips will help you:
- Take out the products on the balcony (in the winter);
- Fold the food in a saucepan and dip it into a basin filled with cold water and ice;
- Fold the products in a thermo package (isothermic bag), along with sachets filled with ice cubes, and put it in a dark, cool place. Thermo package can be bought at a hardware store.
- The thermo package can be replaced with foil polyethylene or any reflective insulation material that is sold in construction stores. In this case, the products just need to be wrapped together with the ice packs.
- If your refrigerator is two-compressor, then you can unfreeze the upper chamber first and stack all the products in the lower compartment, and then do the opposite.
Remove all the containers, shelves and grilles from the cells. By the way, we advise not to pull the food out of the refrigerator right in the containers, as the plastic can crack from their weight.
Step 3. If your refrigerator does not have a tank for collecting thawed liquid, place towels or several layers of newspaper sheets under it, and on the bottom shelf a pallet. Usually this measure is required for old models of refrigerators, with modern technology the water is drained into a special settler (most often it is located behind the refrigerator).
Step 4. Now it remains only to wait until the refrigerator is defrosted. The natural process of melting the ice coat can take from 3 to 10 hours depending on the thickness of the ice.
- It is best to defrost the refrigerator in a traditional way - just leave it for the night.
But if you want, you can speed up the process with simple actions. First, let the refrigerator stand for half an hour, then select one of the following methods for accelerated defrosting and start practicing.
See also: What should be the temperature in the refrigerator?
Methods for accelerated defrosting of the refrigerator
- Method 1. Put a hot water bottle filled with hot water in the freezer.
- Method 2: Put a plate in the chamber, and on it a saucepan with boiling water. Change the water as it cools. Do not put pots of boiling water without plaque, so as not to damage the plastic. After 30-60 minutes of such a "bath" an ice coat should begin to be broken off.
Accelerated defrosting of the refrigerator with steam from boiling water in bowls
- Method 3. Fill the spray gun with hot water and start spraying the walls of the chamber with it. After 15 minutes or more, the ice will begin to chip.
Spraying the ice crust with hot water is perhaps the safest, easiest and at the same time effective way to defrost the refrigerator quickly
- Method 4. Place a heater in front of the refrigerator so that melt water can not contact it, and warm air is not directed directly to the rubber seal.
- Method 5. Is it possible to defrost the refrigerator with a hair dryer? Yes, if you keep it at a distance of 20-30 cm from the walls of the chamber, distribute the hot air evenly and do not aim it at the rubber gasket. And of course, do not neglect the safety rules and completely eliminate the contact of the hair dryer with water.
- Method 6. Dampen a rag in hot water and wipe it with ice. Repeat the procedure until the ice breaks off.
See also: How to remove the smell from the refrigerator for 6 steps
- Do not chip, do not scrape or collect ice with a knife. So you can damage not only the plastic, but also the channel under it, which carries refrigerant refrigerant. In the event of a breakdown, you will have to repair - fill the channel with freon, and then weld it.
- When warming the ice coat with a hair dryer or fan heater, do not direct the hot air flow directly to the rubber band. Otherwise, it is dried and deformed. If this happens, then the chamber will constantly receive warm air, which breaks the refrigerator and provokes the rapid appearance of a new fur coat.
Step 5. Remove all melt water and chopped ice from the chamber with a rag.
Step 6. Clean the chambers, shelves and containers, following the recommendations of our article.
Step 7. Using a rag and / or the same dryer dry the walls of the refrigerator to prevent ice formation again. Next, wipe the floor and the space around the appliance dry.
Step 8. Turn on the refrigerator. Wait until the temperature in the chamber drops to normal (it will take about 30 minutes) and proceed to fill the shelves with products.