From some smells in the refrigerator you can get rid quickly, and others require a multiple attack. For example, if the cause of the stench was a sudden disconnection of electricity, say, while you were on vacation, and the "fragrance" managed to soak yourself even with a rubber band. Fortunately, even the most resistant odors can be eliminated at home by the means that are in your kitchen cupboard or medicine cabinet. And those who do not trust people's methods, we will give clues on the choice of the chemical scent absorber.
- For those who are in a hurry, we advise you immediately to start reading Step # 3.
- If the smell in the refrigerator is weak, and you have already eliminated the cause of its occurrence, the homemade scent absorber will quickly solve the problem (see. Step # 6).
Step 1: Empty the fridge / freezer
Even if you have identified the source of the smell and got rid of it, you need to empty the entire fridge / freezer. Where to put perishable or frozen food at the time of harvesting? You can take them to the balcony (in winter), put the food in a saucepan, and then place it in a basin filled with cold water and ice, or lay down supplies in a thermo package along with ice packs.
- If the smell in the refrigerator has appeared due to an unexpected power outage, do not risk storing food that could be spoiled during downtime. The fridge and freezer keep a safe climate for about 4 hours after shutdown (when closed).
- If your refrigerator has a no frost system, then it does not need to be defrosted. Otherwise, the refrigerator should be thawed. How to do it as quickly as possible read here.
Step 2: My all the shelves and drawers
Выньте полки, контейнеры, бутылочницы и другие съемные элементы, затем вымойте их в раковине/ванной в горячей мыльной воде или растворе воды и полстакана соды (на раковину). Если полки и ящики пропахли сильно, помойте их дезинфицирующим раствором из 1 столовой ложки хлорного отбеливателя и 4 литров воды. Также вы можете использовать рецепты из Step # 3. Наконец, промойте съемные элементы чистой водой и оставьте сушиться.
- Detachable drawers and trays can be washed in the dishwasher.
Step 3. My camera
What can I remove the smell from the refrigerator / freezer compartment? Select one of these tools.
Method 1. Vinegar 9% table or wine (for strong and persistent odors)
Mix 9% vinegar with water in a 1: 1 ratio and wipe with the resulting solution.
The vinegar solution can not wipe the rubber band - from this it can wither and lose its elasticity.
Method 2: Soda (to remove light odors)
This method is good to use if you want to remove contamination, and at the same time get rid of a weak odor. Make a solution of 1 cup baking soda and 4 liters of water. Wipe the camera with a sponge soaked in a solution. To remove impurities, damp the wet sponge directly into the soda and wipe the stains.
Method 3. Lemon and citric acid (for strong odors)
Dilute a packet of citric acid in 4-5 liters of water or add one lemon juice to the basin. To remove strong odors, the camera can be wiped with half a lemon.
- It is easiest to spray the cleaning agent from the spray gun;
- Do not use hard abrasives to avoid damaging the enamel on the walls of the camera;
- To wash the sealing rubber, use an old toothbrush. To wash the area under the seal, lift it with a table knife wrapped in a cloth. Be careful not to damage the rubber.
Method 4: A special remedy for removing hard-to-remove unpleasant odors
For example, it can be SmellOFF (Smeloff) for the kitchen or for solving delicate problems (the price is from 650 rubles.). There are other, but in our opinion, less effective liquidators of the smells of OXY, Flat, Sumo and other brands. It is important that the remedy be non-toxic and maximally neutral.
- Clean up with special liquidators of odors strictly following the manufacturer's instructions.
Step 4. Flush the drain hole
This step is optional, but desirable if you want not only to get rid of the smell, but also to wash the refrigerator thoroughly.
- If you can not determine the source of an unpleasant smell, then you must rinse the drainage hole. It can stagnate musty water or form mold.
Most often, the drain hole is in the center of the rear wall of the refrigerating chamber. If you can not find it, look in the instruction manual of your refrigerator. To rinse the hole, clean it first with a wooden skewer, and then pour into it the cleaning solution you have chosen through an enema or with a funnel.
- How to wash the refrigerator in 7 steps and eliminate odors using 8 home remedies
- How to get rid of mold in the refrigerator
Step 5. Ventilate and dry the chamber
This stage will require your patience. For best results it is necessary to turn off the refrigerator and leave the door open for at least one day. If the unpleasant odor still remains, wipe the walls of the chamber again with a soda solution or another remedy from the list above and turn on the refrigerator the next day.
Step 6. We put on the shelf a natural scent absorber for prevention
Once the inside of your refrigerator is clean, fold up all the products back. Then, to remove the smell of the cleanser itself (for example, vinegar) and prevent the repetition of the problem, put one or two of the following odor scavengers on one or two shelves to choose from:
- Activated carbon. Tablets or granules of coal can be poured into a small saucer or wrapped in a gauze pouch.
- Activated carbon can be purchased not only in a pharmacy, but also in a pet store. There it is sold in granular form in packages of 400-1000 grams (price from 120 rubles.).
- The activated carbon used can be renewed by heating it in the oven at 180 ° C for 20 minutes.
- Soda. For everyday deodorization of the refrigerator, soda can be poured into a small cup or glass. But if you want to bring out the smell that has already appeared, it is best to scatter the soda evenly on a baking sheet, a small tray or a dish.
- Slice of black (rye) bread. Favorite way of our grandmothers, which really works even with strong smells. For greater efficiency, the bread slice can be cut into pieces and spread out in all corners of the chamber.
- A cup of oatmeal.
- A cup of ground coffee. The smell of coffee will quickly evaporate, and the ground grains will begin to absorb other smells.
- A cup of rice.
- Raw potatoes.
- Gauze sachet with sugar.
- A quarter of a lemon or an orange.
In addition to natural scent absorbers, you can use special ones. Here is a brief overview of the main types.
|Type of scent absorber||Principle of action||Price|
|Gel||Gel in the form of granules quickly absorbs odors due to active substances - citric acid, algae or coal. 1 pack is designed for 1-2 months of use.||From 200 rubles for one packing.|
|Beads with silicogen beads||One ball is calculated for more than six months of use. Effective enough.||From 380 rubles.|
|Egg with charcoal||A compact and cute egg eliminates odor due to coal. The period of use is 1-3 months.||50 rubles.|
|Suspension dispenser||In the cartridge of this dispenser there is coal (only 2 cartridges in the package). One cartridge is designed for 1-3 months.||50-300 rub.|
|Ionizer||It not only cleans the air in the refrigerator, but also kills harmful bacteria, prolonging the shelf life of products and preventing the appearance of mold.||From 2000 rubles.|
If the smell in your refrigerator is not too strong, one absorber may be enough to get rid of it without defrosting or washing the camera. Sometimes to remove the smell it is enough to hold the absorber one day, but more often it takes several days.
And a little bit about prevention
- Keep food in containers. Many products smell strong enough to soak in the surface of the refrigerator compartment. Therefore, every product, from the cut onion to the rest of the dinner, should be covered with a lid, foil or film or stored in a container.
- Conduct a revision of the refrigerator at least once every three days. So you can eliminate the spoiled products in time.
- If you leave for a long time (more than a week or two), empty the fridge and freezer, turn off the device and disconnect from the power, wash the camera, then open the door slightly. If you leave the door closed, mold and an unpleasant smell form in the chamber due to increased humidity and insulation.