Deciding how to trim the ceiling in the kitchen, you can give preference to the following materials:
- Panels from plastic;
- Suspended ceiling from plasterboard;
- Stretch ceiling;
- Polystyrene plates;
- Roof ceiling;
- Painting and whitewashing.
In this article, we will consider the process of removing old coatings, which is almost always required for the repair and installation of any type of ceiling. And then we will dwell in detail on the topic of basic, serious repair and figure out how to make it with our own hands - properly level the ceiling, repair cracks and rusts, make a primer, plaster and putty, and then paint / whitewash the kitchen.
Remove the old finish
Any repair of the ceiling with your own hands begins with the total removal of all old coatings. What do we need at this stage?
- Cover film and painting tape to fix it;
- Respirator, goggles and gloves - there will be a lot of dirt;
- Sprayer usual or garden with a pump, if not, take a regular roller with a long pile (preferably with a long handle), a sponge, a cuvette or a bucket of water;
- Spatula (preferably as in the picture, especially to remove the old paint), also a chisel with a hammer and a metal brush for removing the paint layer can be used to beat the plaster;
- For quick mechanical cleaning (observing the safety procedure), you can use a puncher or bulgarian.
The old covering is completely removed - paint, whitewash, exfoliated plaster.
You can remove the whitewash in two ways - wet (the chalk coating can be simply washed) and dry. Typically, these two methods are used so: first wet a small area (not the whole area at once, as the wetted surface dries quickly) with water, wait 10-15 minutes until the water absorbs into the old coating, and then begin to actively remove it with a spatula, in difficult places it is better to use a perforator. In the joints of plates (rusts), you also need to remove all unnecessary.
If mold stains were found under the plaster, the ceiling should be treated with a special antifungal primer or any chlorine-containing compound (eg, whiteness if the mold is small and not old). Of course, all work should also be done in a respirator.
More details about all the nuances of work on the removal of paint, whitewash and plaster can be seen in the following video:
We ground, plastered, shpatlyuem, level, repair cracks and rusts
Prepare everything you need to work, namely:
To correctly paint the kitchen ceiling means to follow this sequence of actions:
- Before you paint the ceiling, it, as we said above, it is necessary to prime. This will further strengthen the base and improve adhesion. Do not neglect this stage, unprimed ceiling very soon will start to crack.
To make things go faster, use a spray gun, not a roller.
It is better to choose a primer of deep penetration and, of course, with an antiseptic. After all, we are doing repairs in a special room - in the kitchen.
- After the primer has dried, you can proceed to the plaster and putty. But first you need to determine how much the ceiling is level, do you need plaster or you can start shpatlevat immediately.
- Plaster is not needed if the ceiling drops are insignificant from 10 to 15 mm.
- Differences in excess of 15 mm require pre-render, which is leveled by means of beacons.
- And if the ceiling has swings of 20 to 30 mm, rusts and cracks, then how to make the ceiling in the kitchen smooth? Rusts (or large cracks) are cleaned, expand them to 30-50 mm and more, ground, after drying the primer wipe and fill the gully with assembly foam and give it 24 hours to dry, then cut the excess foam and ground again. When the primer dries, use a spatula firmly on the seam plaster, then apply a whole tape reinforcing the sickle and plaster it.
- Differences in the ceiling-base in 3-5 cm require more serious measures - the use of a metal reinforcing mesh fixed to concrete by ceiling dowels and withstanding a large stratification of plaster from a cement-sand mixture (Rothband). After the plaster dries, it is possible to start shpatlevaniyu.
Such a complex and responsible repair of the ceiling of the kitchen is better not to produce by oneself, but to entrust it to the master.
- And what if the irregularities exceed 5 cm? In this case it is better to install a false ceiling - gypsum plasterboard, rack, plastic or tension. Align this curvature is difficult, long, expensive, and most importantly - unsafe.
- After that, use the finishing gypsum putty, which must be applied with a wide spatula in 1-2 layers, with the first layer must, of course, dry. The last layer should be thin - about 1 mm.
- 6 hours after puttying, the surface can be grinded and ground, it can be done manually, but better and faster - with a sanding machine. Then it should be re-primed - with diluted paint or penetrating primer. Let's dry and proceed to staining. In detail about the puttying of the ceiling with our own hands, we look in this training video:
Krasim the ceiling
- Painting the ceiling is possible only when the primed surface dries. To begin to paint it is desirable from a window. In addition, if the surface is painted with a short pile roller, a smooth coating will be obtained. A rough texture can be created by using a long-shaft roller. One strip of paint should go a little to the other.
Very good and detailed about the choice of paint and the workflow itself can be seen in this video:
- It is desirable to paint the surface in two layers, the first one must dry before applying the second one. One coat of paint should be applied at a time - otherwise there will be a visible joint between the sections.
How to choose a coloring composition for the kitchen ceiling
Repair the ceiling with your own hands by staining or whitewashing - this is the most common (largely due to its budget) way.
Before you paint the ceiling, you need to choose the right color. The traditional way to paint involves the use of lime or chalky mortar.
This material was used a hundred years ago, but so far among its merits are the following:
- Ecological compatibility (lime absorbs harmful substances);
- Ability to mask small surface defects.
The whitewash layer needs to be updated periodically, but if you do not wash it without washing off the previous layer, then very soon nonaesthetic "rushes" will form on the surface. In addition, in this case, you can forget about the design delights.
It is better to paint the kitchen ceiling with water-based paint. Compared with the lime, it forms a more delicate and attractive layer.
Compositions of this type almost do not smell during the work, they are economical, affordable and vary in shades. To create a durable and reliable coating, you can paint water emulsion in several layers - this will not interfere with the passage of air, which means that the room will not be stuffy. Among the most notable drawbacks of this type of paint is the impossibility of washing. Ceilings can be wiped with a dry cloth or slightly damp, but without friction.
The best material for painting the kitchen ceiling, experts call acrylic paint. The resulting surface can be washed not only with water, but also with soap solutions - the only exception is abrasive-containing substances.
The surface obtained with the help of such a dye differs aesthetically and decoratively.
To paint the surface in the kitchen is better than matte, and not glossy dye. Gloss can emphasize the unevenness of the substrate, and the matte layer, on the contrary, will hide them.