Washing in the kitchen has a strategically important role, so you need to choose and install it yourself.
Choosing a kitchen sink and preparing to install it
Before deciding how to install a sink in the countertop, you need to decide on the choice of the product. The optimal option - the connection of a deep sink and not too high a mixer - in this case there will be a minimum of spray when washing dishes. The sink should be deep so that it is convenient to wash out the dimensional pans or fold the plates after a family dinner.
Material is also important - it's easiest to connect a traditional stainless steel sink yourself. A good solution will be enamelled steel.
Installation of a kitchen sink with your own hands requires the following tools, materials:
- Self-tapping screws and screwdrivers;
- Jig saw;
- Fastenings (as a rule, they are included with the product).
Advice! Before fixing the kitchen sink, you should carefully handle all the seats with a sealant. This will ensure high-quality waterproofing and protection of particleboard from damage due to high humidity.
Types of kitchen sinks
Installation of a sink in the kitchen by own hands can be made on various technologies. The method of installation is selected depending on the type of shell design:
- Invoices are considered to be the most budgetary and easy to install with your own hands. The sink is put on a separate cabinet. Minus this option - between the sink and the cabinet are gaps.
- Mortise is installed directly in the countertop, for which you need to cut out the corresponding hole.
- Understand shells belong to a more expensive segment, they are attached below the countertop, which provides excellent sealing and appearance.
Mounting of a conch shell
A democratic invoice (built-in) sink is made of stainless steel. It is mounted on a separate module and closes its entire upper part. Here is a very simple installation - special L-shaped elements with oblique cut are used for fixing. On one sink there are about 4-5 such fasteners.
Advice! Connection of the mixer is carried out before the installation of the washbasin (the washing is already installed with the equipment installed) - otherwise it will be inconvenient to do all the subsequent steps.
How to attach a sink to your hands:
- It is necessary to attach L-shaped fasteners to the cabinet from the inside and make notes;
- Screw in the marked places self-tapping screws. It is important to choose short 15 mm screws and screw them in such a way that above the mark it remains 5 mm, not less;
- Cover the end of the box with sealant - it will protect the furniture and additionally glue the sink;
- After that, the washer is installed on the screws screwed into the cube and moves until it is fully seated;
- Then fastenings are fixed, surpluses of hermetic are erased, it is possible to begin connection of a washbasin to a waterpipe and the water drain.
Mortise type sink - step by step installation
Of course, an overhead sink with its own hands is easier to install, but the mortise model provides a greater level of tightness and looks very carefully on a cabinet with a common table top. The question of how to cut a sink into the countertop, is solved quite simply - you just need to properly make a hole under the sink.
Installation of the sink in the countertop is performed according to the following algorithm:
- On the table top find the place of installation of the shell and determine the shape of the future hole. To do this, the sink is turned over and circled along the contour directly on the table top or on the cardboard. If you chose a product of complex shape, then the ready template is most likely already in the kit - this will help to cut out the hole;
- The finished template is applied to the countertop at a distance of about 7 centimeters from the edge and begins to be cut out. To do this, from the edge of the template retreat 1.8 cm in depth, leaving the support for the sides of the shell;
- On the cut line, first make a hole with a drill, and then cut out the contour with an electric jigsaw. The lower part of the tabletop is fixed so that it does not fall out when cutting and does not damage the edge of the remaining surface;
- On the contour of the saw is applied sealant. It also covers the lower places of the sink joints;
- You can start fixing the sink - it is pressed with the supplied clamps;
- After the excess sealant has been removed, you can start connecting the communications.
Mount the sink level or below the level of the countertop. Shells of unusual shape
Mortice sink can be fixed level with the countertop - however it is a labor-intensive process, requiring experience, since it means removing the table top under the rim. The depth of removal is equal to the height of the rim with a layer of sealant.
If you decide to install and connect a car wash to make it lower than the level of the table, then you will have to resort to the services of specialists. After all, this method of installation is chosen for expensive structures - not steel, but from natural, artificial stone. For fixing in this case, you also need special tools - for example, jig saws and saws with diamond dusting. After all, in such shells there may not be a hole for draining water - complete sawing of products in industrial conditions is not carried out. Shells from natural materials are attached with special mounting glue.
As for the sinks of unusual shape, they are supplied with a paper template, through which the installation hole is cut.
3 more important tips
Do you want to connect the sink yourself correctly? Do not forget 3 more nuances:
- Rubber seals are best replaced with silicone sealant. Rubber will not provide a snug fit and does not have enough life, while the sealant will fill all the gaps and cracks;
- Sinks made of natural or artificial stone are best connected together to avoid falling and spoilage;
- Fastening of a sink to a table-top or the module self-tapping is carried out exclusively manually. Using the tool can create too much stress, which can damage the design.
Main connection rules
When the installation work is completed, you can connect the sink. For this purpose, the hoses, through which cold and hot water will pass, are connected to the common water supply system.
Advice! Connection requires the use of a rubber gasket to better seal the joint.
After the hoses are secured, the connection is made in the following order:
- The siphon is introduced into the sink (it is better to use S-shaped structures, since the bottle is too quickly clogged);
- To the siphon is added a pipe (angular rigid, or flexible corrugated);
- The pipe from the siphon is discharged into the sewer pipe;
- All connections are checked for leaks.
Read more about installing the siphon here: installation of a siphon in the kitchen for 4 steps
It may be that the diameters of the pipes from the siphon or sewer are very different. In this case, it is necessary to use an adapter-sealing cuff. This completes the installation of the kitchen sink.