Decorative stone - not cheap, but high-quality and presentable material, which is great for finishing the kitchen apron. This element of the interior will be distinguished by its high strength, attractive appearance, durability and practicality.
Patterned pattern decorative stone will give the kitchen respectability and solidity. This material can be safely used in the arrangement of a variety of interiors - from classical to modern. It never goes out of fashion, this apron will please the family for many years.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of a decorative stone include the following parameters:
- Large selection of shades - A huge color palette allows you to create from this material the most incredible decorative surfaces. If desired, you can arrange a glossy or matte kitchen apron, with a homogeneous texture or multi-colored blotches. Using an artificial decorative stone effectively imitate natural material: marble, quartz, granite, volcanic rocks. No less popular are monochrome panels of neutral shades - anthracite, gray, beige, white, cream, pastel. If desired, you can also make a colored apron made of artificial stone.
- Smooth connection of the apron with the top and absence of seams - this material allows you to create perfectly smooth and smooth surfaces without joints.
- Monolithic dense structure - in such material there are no pores, therefore it is not capable to absorb a moisture, fat, a dirt and other pollution. On a smooth surface, fungi, bacteria and other microorganisms do not multiply. In addition, it is very easy to take care of - just wipe it with a damp sponge periodically using traditional detergents.
- Easy recovery - If suddenly an apron from such a stone will be damaged, it can be easily restored. For this, you do not need to change the entire apron. In addition, on such a surface, scratches that appear over time are easily removed - it should be simply polished thoroughly, and the apron will look like a new one.
- If desired, an apron of decorative stone can be completed with a window sill, bar counter and kitchen sink in one tone, made of the same material. Such an interior will look very harmonious, stylish and respectable.
Disadvantages of a decorative stone is, but there are not many of them. To such it is possible to carry its high cost. However, it should be understood that the price of the material is fully justified, given its quality and external characteristics.
And the decorative stone has a considerable weight, which somewhat complicates the process of its installation, this material also constitutes a significant load on the walls.
In addition, some types of decorative stone are quite sensitive to high temperatures and chemical influences.
There are many varieties of this decorative material. However, for the arrangement of kitchen aprons, only some of them can be used.
Ceramic stone (including granite) - in the composition of the material there are mineral additives, clay, feldspar and coloring pigments. When making a stone, this mixture is pressed under high pressure, after which it is burned.
Thanks to roasting, the stone acquires a high resistance to temperature changes, it also becomes durable. This material is ideal for wall cladding, including the finishing of the apron.
Form concrete stone - for its production quartz sand, portland cement, and also all kinds of fillers are used.
This material has a very interesting appearance. As a rule, it does not have a glossy surface, but imitates a masonry made of untreated natural stone.
Gypsum stone - this finishing material can be made independently, since its main constituent is ordinary gypsum.
Unfortunately, it does not have special water-repellent properties, therefore it is rarely used in the kitchen interior.
Polyester stone, with hot fixing fillers - in the manufacture of such material, polyester resins are used as a basis, as well as various fillers (this may be granite, marble or basalt crumb).
In the process of production of this stone, high temperatures are used, and the process itself is carried out under vacuum conditions.
Acrylic stone of cold curing - this material is very popular when it comes to finishing the kitchen apron. From it are obtained not only excellent wall panels, but also strong quality countertops.
This material is resistant to high humidity, it is not afraid of high temperatures and does not interact with chemical reagents.
Tip: As a rule, plates for arranging the kitchen apron are made to order, according to individual parameters. They are very heavy, therefore the installation should be carried out by an experienced master, it is not recommended to do it yourself.
The choice of the facade of the kitchen, which will be in harmony with the apron of stone
Decorative stone, which is used in finishing the kitchen apron, will always have a strict look, regardless of its coloring and name of the material.
That is why the facades of furniture that will be adjacent to this design element, should match it as much as possible.
It is desirable that the set was expensive and made of natural materials - the advantage should be given to natural wood.
It should be understood that granite or marble does not combine with cheap plastic facades and modest curtains - the whole furnishings, including the facades, should be respectable enough.
At the same time, the use of glass, colored mosaic, artistic carvings and gilding is quite acceptable in the facade decoration. The main rule that must be adhered to - the interior should look expensive and solid.
With what styles of interiors the kitchen apron is combined from a stone
There are two categories of decorative stones, which are used by designers when decorating the kitchen, in particular - kitchen aprons.
A natural stone - in the kitchen interior such material will bring a piece of nature. It looks expensive and spectacular, the best natural stone is combined with the classic style of the interior, as well as the art deco style.
Can be used not only for facing the apron, but also for finishing the table tops, floor, window sills.
The rock of natural stone, starting from sandstone and ending with granite, is selected depending on its design, properties, as well as financial possibilities of the owners of the dwelling.
Wild stone in the interior of the kitchen looks particularly appropriate if it is a fairly spacious room with good lighting.
This material has strength and free beauty, it is perfectly combined with fresh flowers and expensive textiles.
This massive finishing material prefers space, so for finishing the apron of a small kitchen is absolutely not suitable.
Fake diamond - more often found in the interior of the kitchen, because it is much cheaper than the natural material
In addition, it differs in the standard form, ease of installation, excellent tolerability of temperature changes, high moisture resistance (it does not form mold) and unpretentious care - the best material for finishing the apron is simply not found.
In the interior of the kitchen, artificial stone is most often used for styling of crushed and cut stone, as well as for brick. Often it is performed in the form of a tile, repeating the texture of oil shale or marble.
From the decorative stone you can create a beautiful kitchen apron in the form of a fantasy masonry of ornaments and textures that do not exist in nature.
The apron of this material will be perfectly combined with a variety of styles of interiors: Provence, loft, cheby-chic, minimalism and hi-tech. The main thing is to choose the right stone according to the shade and texture.
Tip: It is not necessary to apply two different types of decorative stone in finishing one room. In this case, the use of different shades of stone of the same rock will look interesting and original.
Kitchen apron, made of decorative stone, is a monolithic design with a perfectly flat and smooth surface.
As a rule, this material is made in the form of large plates. Its installation should be entrusted to specialists who know all the subtleties of handling similar materials.
The whole installation process can be divided into several conditional stages:
- Before you start, you must carefully level the kitchen wall and clean it of all unnecessary.
- After that, on the width of the row, apply even layer of high-quality tile glue - for this you can use a spatula or comb. Each plate is carefully pressed against the plate. During the installation, the glue begins to be squeezed out and protrudes on the surface, which must be removed immediately.
- All the slabs of the decorative artificial stone should be adjacent to each other as tightly as possible. After installation, it takes time that they are completely dry and fixed on the wall surface.
- If desired, the final result can be secured by covering the apron with a layer of special protective agent. However, it is not necessary to do this.
The apron, made of decorative artificial stone, is difficult to distinguish from a product made of natural stone.
Serving it can be the same for a long time, it looks no worse, it is much cheaper.
How much is the decorative stone
Decorative stone for finishing the kitchen apron is offered by many domestic and foreign manufacturers.
This material is becoming increasingly popular on the market, and its value depends on the specific name of the stone, as well as on the costs necessary for its production.
Naturally, natural material will cost significantly more than its artificial counterpart.
Among the most popular manufacturers of artificial stone, whose products have already gained a good reputation, include such companies and brands: Akrilika Stone (Acrylica), Antarrid mramor (Antarctica), Bienstone, Avonite Surfaces Avonite (USA), Du Pont Montelli (USA), Granicoat , Hanex, Kerrock, Radianz, Polystone Poliston (China), Silestone, Staron Tempest (Samsung).
Kitchen apron made of stone (video)
Table top and apron made of artificial stone with a figured finish. Full review of all details of the finish.