Apartments with the original layout, in which the kitchen would not have a window, almost never happens. But it can be formed as a result of redevelopment. Most often a window in the kitchen is donated in the following cases:
- If it is necessary to carve a small but isolated additional room in the kitchen;
- When it is necessary to separate the kitchen from the living room in studio apartment or an apartment of free planning;
- When the kitchen is moved to the corridor, and in its place creates a dwelling;
- When the kitchen that is part of the living room, you need to isolate into a niche.
However, without natural light and the possibility of airing in the kitchen can not do, especially since it is prohibited by the rules of SNIP. In this material, we will consider several ways to equip windowless kitchens legally and so that it is as comfortable and cozy to cook and eat. Also in the material you will find 60 excellent photo-examples and design projects of deaf kitchens.
How to equip a kitchen without a window so that daylight penetrates into it
So, the rules of SNIP say that the kitchen should be illuminated by natural light. This means that it can be fenced off from the room with the window only partially.
In fact, a kitchen without a window can be "legalized" only if it is part of a room / corridor with a window and is isolated only by non-capital partition walls.
Let's look at some tricky ways to fence the windowless kitchen and provide it with access to light from an adjacent room.
Option 1. The glass partition (s)
Just one glass partition will ensure the penetration of light from the adjacent room and at the same time create a sense of isolation. Moreover, it can be equipped with a curtain, which, if necessary, will separate the kitchen completely. This solution is especially important for an entrance kitchen or kitchen-niche, equipped in the hall or in the living room as shown in the photo below (turn the photo to the right).
Option 2. Sliding door-partitions
Sliding opaque doors are good in that they allow you to leave the room as partially open (at least 24 hours a day) and closed.
- If there is gas in the kitchen, only the sliding doors give a chance (but not a guarantee!) To legally deprive her of the window. After all, according to the rules of SNIP, gasified premises should have both a window and a door.
Depending on your needs, you can make sliding doors deaf or completely / partially transparent. So, for example, if a living room is created in the kitchen, then it can be fenced off completely or partially with opaque or translucent doors.
Если на безоконной кухне уединение не требуется, то лучше сделать двери полностью прозрачными (из стекла или прозрачного поликарбоната) как показано в следующем дизайн-проекте кухни in studio apartment.
And here is an example of stained glass sliding doors.
Option 3. Interior window or transom
The interior window will not only open the light from the adjacent room, but also simulates the present window and makes the "deaf" kitchen more comfortable.
- If the kitchen is combined with the living room, then the window should be created under the ceiling by the type of transom.
Option 4. The dispenser window
The dispensing window is a good solution for an isolated kitchen-niche located in the living room or in the kitchen-hallway adjacent to the living room. By the way, this opening is very convenient to equip with a bar counter as shown in the photo below.
Option 5. An opening or portal in the wall
The easiest way to separate the kitchen without a window, while retaining access to light and fresh air is to create an open aperture, portal or arch in the wall.
In this kitchen-hallway light enters through the opening into the living room.
How to Plan Artificial Lighting
How cleverly you did not use the techniques described above, most likely light in the kitchen without a window will still be missed. Therefore, its deficit should be compensated for by pleasant and comfortable artificial lighting. Here are some tips on this topic:
- It is best to use white spectrum lamps to illuminate the windowless kitchen, since they are the closest to natural light.
- To simulate diffuse daylight in a "dumb" kitchen, it should be lighted evenly, that is, by several small lamps, and not by one central chandelier. It is desirable that they are hidden. Of course, you need to highlight the work area.
- In addition, you can highlight the upper cabinets with glass facades.
See the materials on the topic:
- Furniture lighting for the kitchen - from choice to installation
- All about spot lighting in the kitchen
- LED lighting for kitchen from A to Z
- The choice of lighting under the kitchen cabinets and not only
- Choosing the perfect chandelier for your kitchen
How to create mandatory ventilation
The second condition for the successful creation and harmonization of the kitchen without a window is the possibility of its airing. Indeed, the lack of a window in the kitchen greatly restricts the influx of fresh and exhaust air, the removal of excess moisture. Such conditions threaten the emergence of mold and fungus, the deterioration of the microclimate, as well as the spread of culinary smells throughout the apartment during cooking. To prevent this from happening, in the windowless kitchen there must necessarily be a vent with good draft, a powerful exhaust and a special system of forced-air forced ventilation.
The latter can be realized in the form of an aerial cavity (if there is an external wall) or an additional ventilation duct from an adjacent room with an external wall and hidden under a stretch ceiling or in one of the partitions.
- To calculate the optimum output of the hood, multiply the area of the room by its height. Multiply the obtained value by 12 (the SES norm of the optimum air exchange). Then multiply the result by 1.5 (coefficient for the electric plate). To the final value it is desirable to add 10% for each meter from the hood to the ventilation duct, for each bend of the air duct, and also for the reserve in case of removing the smell of burnt or strongly smelling food.
- Keep in mind that the air conditioner and fan will not replace the window, because they only drive the room air. But in combination with any system of forced ventilation, they will help create the most comfortable conditions in a deaf kitchen.
- In adjacent rooms, windows should have vent valves (this is especially important for double-glazed windows). If the kitchen is located in the corridor, then the entrance door in the hallway is preferably not insulated. It is also desirable that the interior kitchen door (if it does) is not locked tightly, but had micro-slots.
- The room with a window adjacent to the windowless kitchen should be ventilated as often as possible. It is also important to monitor the level of humidity in both rooms and not allow any floods and leaks.
How to decorate the interior, create coziness and ... simulate the window
To the kitchen without a window does not resemble a dark closet, its design needs to be planned especially carefully. First, it is important to decorate the interior mainly in light colors, but best in white, because it is the property to reflect and increase the light in the room. In addition, the white walls and / or facades of the headset can visually enlarge the small space.
Tip two: dilute the interior with yellow or orange accents, thereby replenishing the deficit of sunlight. For example, an "apron replacement" may be an apron, a curtain of a glass partition or just a picture on the wall.
But dark colors in kitchen design without a window should be used at a minimum, as they absorb light and visually reduce space. However, in a small amount for the sake of creating spectacular contrasts, they are quite acceptable.
To avoid the feeling of the bunker and to bring comfort to the interior of a deaf kitchen, it is highly desirable to create a false window on the ceiling or wall, say, above the sink or dining table. Here are a few ideas on how to create it:
- With the help of wallpaper or digital fresco with a promising image of a city street, a beautiful landscape, a forest path or a beach.
See material: Photo wallpapers for the kitchen - techniques and design ideas
- Using the drawn window (see photo).
- With the help of a large picture in the frame.
- Using a mirror in the frame (perhaps in the "window").
- Using a window with hidden LED lighting.
- By decorating one wall with a curtain to make it seem that there are windows in the kitchen, they are simply curtained.
- By creating a false window from a real window frame, a picture that simulates a view of the courtyard or city, as well as curtains and a window sill with flowers. An example of such deco reception is shown in the photo below.
By the way, the "window" can be stained glass as shown in this photo.
And finally, the last design advice for a kitchen without a window. To compensate for the lack of light and bring a feeling of airiness to the interior, make a bet on the abundance of shiny and glossy surfaces. For example, the facades of the headset can be decorated with glass inserts, an apron-skins or a glossy mosaic, and walls - wall mirrors.