The Loft style is the architectural style that originated in the 40s of the last century in the industrial districts of New York, which later became popular all over the world.
The word "loft" in English means "attic", although not only lofts, but also any industrial buildings are used to equip this interior: abandoned factories and factories, warehouses, workshops.
The popularity of this housing solution was due to a large jump in land prices in the United States, and a huge number of empty factory buildings. Now apartments in the style of "loft" are at the peak of popularity.
In order to become the owner of such a dwelling, it is not necessary to look for an abandoned factory, because you can create an industrial style even in an ordinary city apartment.
Advantages and disadvantages of the loft style
Kitchen in the style of "loft" is the ideal solution for people who keep up to date, live dynamically and uninhibited.
The urban beauty of the concrete jungle, full of metal, concrete and glass, has nothing to do with the pastoral serenity of cozy country houses.
When creating this style, you need to drop all the conventions, and do not be afraid to implement the most incredible and outrageous ideas using non-trivial materials.
Kitchen in the loft style will always look bold, modern, unusual and fashionable.
Advantages of this interior:
- Any communications that are present in the kitchen (pipes, beams, brickwork, etc.) can and should be left as is, without wasting energy and money to disguise them;
- Equipping such premises, you can not adhere to the generally accepted rules, and arrange all the interior items at your own discretion (for example, put a stove or a sink in the center of the kitchen);
- All used interior items can have the most unpresentable appearance - rubbing, rusting, cracking, and at the same time they will look great together, creating a unique style.
There are some drawbacks to this style:
- according to domestic law, an apartment in the style of "loft", equipped in an abandoned factory or factory, simply can not be privatized, or be registered in it;
- the present industrial building in which the "loft" is located may have harmful fumes and waste in its walls, so the ecological attractiveness of such a dwelling is not always high;
- Loft - this is usually a large room with huge windows, which is difficult and expensive to heat in the winter, in addition, it will require considerable costs for its sound insulation.
Fortunately, recreating the style of "loft" in the interior of the kitchen is possible even in a city apartment. True, this will have to be done with some effort.
Main Features of Industrial Style
To equip the kitchen in the style of "loft" it is necessary to fulfill several obligatory conditions:
- The room should be large enough and spacious, with high ceilings;
- Walls and floors of such kitchen should not have traces of decorative finishing in the form of wallpaper, gypsum panels, linoleum, etc., naked brickwork, concrete, plaster, rough plank floor are welcome;
- Windows should be large (the bigger and higher, the better);
- In the kitchen you should install only the most modern household appliances, high-tech and sparkling chrome and steel;
- We welcome the use of non-standard decor elements from metal, plastic, glass, stone, rope, wire;
- This style does not accept heaps of furniture, household appliances, accessories, etc., there should always be enough free space in the room;
- All room of the kitchen should be conditionally divided into zones - working and dining, using for this interior items or lighting;
- One of the basic rules for arranging the loft: the kitchen should be as urban as possible and even somewhat brutal;
- Ideally, if the room is located on the top floor or attic.
Which facade to choose for the kitchen in the style of "loft"
Choosing furniture for the kitchen in the style of "loft", you should prefer matte or shiny facades laconic and straight shapes.
The color scale can be light, natural - white, light gray and metallic colors are welcome.
You can also use wooden facades - the rougher they will be, the better.
With a suite for the kitchen in an industrial style, leather and forged products, bronze and copper fittings, cast iron are perfectly combined. In small quantities, the use of vintage accessories is allowed.
If the style "loft" in the kitchen is arranged in an ordinary city apartment, you can install facades from MDF and chipboard, imitating a natural untreated tree.
The accessories can be made of transparent plastic and matte steel.
Glass should be used generously - as a kitchen apron, decorative inserts, lids for a dining table.
Harmoniously in the interior will look light metal furniture, made in the form of shelves and pencil cases.
Hinged lockers can be used, however at a minimum.
The kitchen in the style of "loft" is equally well suited and a completely new, sparkling plastic and chrome set, and wooden furniture, which looks as if it has been used for many years.
Color design of kitchen in industrial style
The color scheme of the kitchen in the style of "loft" should be determined by cold natural shades - gray, white, brick, beige, terracotta.
The ceiling is best made white, but it will also be interesting to look at concrete gray slabs without finishing.
As a ceiling decor, you can use rough wooden beams.
In the decoration of the walls you can show imagination. Very stylish will look like a wall of brickwork (in a typical city apartment, such a masonry can be imitated).
Another option - three walls to leave gray concrete or brick, painting one main wall in a bright contrast color - red, dark gray, brown, blue.
Choosing the color for the decoration of walls in the kitchen, you should first of all be guided by the size of the room. If it is small, it is better to paint walls in light shades.
With the arrangement of a large spacious kitchen, you can safely use rich dark colors.
Choosing a floor covering for an industrial kitchen
As for the floor, there are several options for finishing it. Excellent in the loft will look like a rough wooden floor, you can also imitate a natural tree with a laminate.
A good solution is to use natural or artificial stone, large granite.
The color of the floor should be chosen so that it is in harmony with the general appearance of the room. The floor in the kitchen can be white, gray, brown, black, dark red.
It will be interesting to look in such an interior glossy parquet - especially if it's a bit artificially "old."
You can also make a bulk floor of dark color (black), which will emphasize the modernity and urbanism of the kitchen.
Choosing curtains for the kitchen in the style of "loft" and the decoration of the walls
As already mentioned, the windows in the kitchen in the industrial style should be large and high.
Use for their decoration tulle, curtains with frills, lace curtains is strictly prohibited. If there is a need to protect the room from penetration of sunlight, you should install light blinds on the windows.
But it's best to just leave them open.
As an exception, if the kitchen is large and light, you can use Roman curtains of dense rough fabric - their coloring should be monochrome, without patterns and ornaments.
To make the kitchen look more modern and interesting, you need to think carefully about the options for decorating it.
On the walls, it is recommended to hang accessories appropriate to the style: original advertising posters in the style of pop art with images of food and drinks, ordinary road signs, signs with signs.
You can simply paint the largest wall with bright graffiti.
Lovers of modern painting can arrange indoors abstract and surreal paintings, just leaning them against the walls. So they will attract even more attention to themselves and emphasize the unusual and modern kitchen.
Installation of lighting in an industrial kitchen
Decorating the kitchen in the style of "loft", the main accent should be made in natural light, good, large windows have this. However, without the installation of several artificial light sources in such a room still can not do.
To make the kitchen look interesting and match the chosen style completely, the choice of chandeliers will have to come responsibly.
Most organically in this interior will look bright lamps, hung everywhere in large quantities.
Without lampshades for such lamps can be completely dispensed with, or use the simplest metal lampshades, covering only the upper part of the lamp.
Very original and interesting will look great crystal chandelier, located directly above the dining table, in the center of the kitchen.
An excellent option for organizing the lighting of an industrial kitchen is the use of a contour highlighting of the working area. It can be provided with the help of pendant lamps that emphasize the height of the room.
You can also experiment a little with a dot or basic backlight, setting in the right places, spotlights or spotlights.
It is very important that in such a room it is equally light not only during the day, but also at night.
The main thing is not to overdo it, and do not turn your kitchen into a cold and faceless factory workshop - for this, heat and softness, mystery and "lampiness" should be added to the lighting temperature.
Decor kitchen in the style of "loft"
The idea of decor in a similar room is a sea of creativity and a real flight of fantasy.
A feature of the industrial kitchen can make a large number of accessories in it made of glass - from it can be made shelves, table tops, lampshades for lamps, vases.
Very organically in the interior will fit various forged elements, copper dishes, wooden kitchen utensils. Such items do not have to be expensive and designer, everything that is required to decorate the kitchen in the style of "loft" can be found in urban flea markets.
With the help of unusual old objects, you can breathe new life into the room, create in it a unique atmosphere and emphasize your own personality.
The main thing is not to use too much decor, and leave enough space in the kitchen.
It is better to let the kitchen be simple, but fully reflect the inner world of its owner.