In the layout of the kitchen with the island, the idea of functional comfort and compactness is laid - what is needed in this zone should be located at arm's length. Standard sizes of the island furniture complex: height 900 mm, width - over 1 meter, length - 0,6-1,5 and more meters.
A traditional island in the kitchen should be placed in case the total area of the premises is more than 20 square meters. For a relatively small room 15-20 square meters. m are selected compact, folding or mobile options, such as the photo below.
Details about dimensions
Kitchen with an island - it's convenient due to the device of another working area in the room. Installation of the island element adds up to 25% of the useful working area. In addition, it is possible to remove electrical outlets and install equipment, place the oven or sink.
The total space occupied by the island should not be more than 10% of the total kitchen area, and the passages around it must necessarily be at least 1 m wide - otherwise the room will be overloaded and it will be difficult to move around it. Therefore, in small kitchens, the islet can be performed by mobile, and not stationary - on wheels.
So, the main size of the island must comply with such rules:
- The standard height of the table is 92 cm;
- If the kitchen is often done work that requires effort (for example, dough vymes), then the countertop is performed below - 76 cm;
For housewives, often preparing pastries, a good option will be a two-level island.
- If the island will replace the dining table, then the minimum distance between the seat of the chairs and the top of the table top is 300-320 mm. The length of the countertop of the table-island can be calculated by the principle of 600 mm per one seated.
And to use the island was convenient, you need to observe the rule of the working triangle - the stove, refrigerator and sink should be located at a distance of 1.5 meters, and these points must form a triangle when connected.
Forms of kitchen island
The layout of the kitchen with the island can include the central elements of the following forms:
- Rectangle - the most traditional and widespread form for the island, fits perfectly into small elongated spaces.
- A square island is square kitchens, or in the event that headset is located on the U-shaped pattern.
- Semicircular shape is great for an island with a bar counter, while the rounded part should be on the side of the bar, as shown in the photo.
- The most convenient island in the kitchen is a U-shaped table or an open circle shape, as it allows you to place everything within walking distance.
- There are also completely round and oval island tables.
In general, the form can be any - from zig-zag to hexagon. But their height is approximately the same - 90-92 cm.
Large kitchen islands can be visually made easier by equipping them with open shelves and drawers with glass facades or even choosing a table without embellishments, and of course, white color will make it much less bulky.