The decor of the walls in the kitchen is needed in order to make it cozy, lively and personalized. In addition, some receptions for decorating walls can help out, if it is necessary to zonate space, fix some shortcomings in the room or mistakes in the interior, say, color blinds and an apron that do not match the color. In this article we will tell you how to decorate the walls of the kitchen, how to do it correctly and what wall accessories should be made with your own hands.
General principles of wall decoration and useful tips
Whatever idea of the kitchen decor you like, give the beginning of the decorating process, consider the following general principles and recommendations for decorating the walls:
- The most suitable places for decorating wall decorations are: piers between windows, a section above the dining table, above the kitchen set, above the sink, extractor and any separately standing furniture, as well as in niches and on ledges.
- When planning the placement of a wall decoration or the order of layout of elements of the wall composition, do not forget about the principle of symmetry.
- Try not to get carried away with the adornment of the walls of the kitchen, if in its interior there are many complex details. On small kitchen and do remember the saying "less is better".
- Of course, choose wall decor should be guided by the style and colors of the interior of the kitchen, especially paying attention to the color of the decorated wall and the objects surrounding it.
- In most cases, paintings, panels, posters and other decorations for walls should be hung around eye level.
And some more useful tips:
- If your kitchen has a thing knocked out from the general color scheme of the interior, select a wall decoration in which both the color of this object and the main colors of the kitchen are present.
- If you have a beautiful piece of decor, but, as you think, it does not fill the wall enough, it can be combined with smaller accessories, for example, paintings, plates, smaller mirrors.
12 wall decor ideas
Idea 1. A composition of saucers and plates
If your kitchen is in a traditional style, then you can decorate one of the walls with saucers and plates.
Such decor will look great in the dining area, in the design of the piers between the windows, in the niches and on the ledges, under / above the wall sconces, over the consoles or the suite if it is not too high.
Here are some tips to help you create a cohesive composition:
- The servants should "echo" not only each other, but also with neighboring decor items and the interior in general. Combine the misplaced saucers with each other can color, print, border edging and / or shape.
- It is desirable that an equal interval be maintained between the plates.
- Plates can form a figure, can be hung symmetrically or deliberately chaotically or around a center (for example, a large dish, a clock, a picture or a mirror).
Symmetrical layout of plates on the kitchen wall
- Before you hang the plates on the wall, you must collect the composition on the floor, then cut out the outline of each saucer from the paper and hang it on the wall (or you can simply circle the plates with a pencil on the wall). Thus, you will get a few paper circles that will tell you where to put a plate.
- If you have a beautiful service that you use from time to time for its intended purpose, then you can arrange them on a narrow display shelf as in this photo.
The old set of Soviet times should not dust in the closet, because they can decorate the interior of the kitchen in a classic or "rustic" style
- If you want, you can paint the plates yourself, following our step-by-step master class.
- To make such a wall decoration by yourself is very simple: take bright plates, color their bottom with slate paint and draw nice pictures or signatures
For more details, see our material: We decorate the walls with plates - master class and 100 photos for inspiration
Idea 2. Mirrors and a mirror
Mirrors are good not only for their spectacular appearance, but also for enhancing lighting and visually increasing space. Therefore, the idea of decorating walls with mirrors is a real find for small and dark kitchens. Moreover, they are so versatile - they can fit in both modern and classic interior.
Mirrors can be used to decorate the entire wall or a very large section of the wall from floor to ceiling, as in these photo-examples.
Mirror - a must-have attribute of the kitchen in the Art Deco style
Here are some useful tips for decorating kitchen wall mirrors:
- If you hang a mirror in front of the window, then there will be more light in the kitchen.
- Remember that the larger the mirror, the stronger the effect of increasing space and multiplying the light in it. At the same time, the more difficult the cleaning of the room. In order not to condemn yourself to daily cleaning of mirrors, do not install them in the vicinity of the work area.
See also the material on the subject: Guide for choosing mirrors for kitchen cladding and decor
Idea 3. Wooden cutting boards
In fact, decorating the walls of your kitchen can the most ordinary things, the beauty of which we often do not notice. For example, it may be cutting wooden boards - deliberately old and hinged on loops. A pair of boards can be made up of rolling pins, metal trays, baking molds and vintage dishes as in the photo below.
Idea 4: Decoration of accent wall by wallpaper or photo wallpaper
The accent wall (or part of the wall), decorated with wallpaper or wallpaper, can not only decorate the interior, but also visually expand the kitchen, raise the ceiling or create a depth effect in a small space. Most often, the wall in the dining area is suitable for the role of the accent wall, but you can also decorate the kitchen apron with bright wallpaper.
- When the ceiling is low, the position will save the wallpaper in a rhombus, in a vertical strip and any print with an abundance of verticals.
- Increase the space will help wallpapers with a promising image, for example, leaving along the road or forest path.
- Extend the walls narrow kitchen help wallpaper in a horizontal strip.
- If the kitchen is catastrophically short of sunlight, yellow or gold wallpaper will help to replace it.
If your kitchen does not need "special effects", then you can choose any wallpaper that fits into the interior in style and color scheme.
- Photo wallpapers for the kitchen - receptions and design ideas
- We create a unique design in the kitchen - we correctly combine the wallpaper
Idea 5. A slate wall or message board
If you hang a slate on the wall or paint one of the walls of the kitchen / a section of the wall with slate paint or cover with chalk wallpaper, then you and your children will be able to "update" the interior every day. Figures motivating slogans, quotes, poems, songs - all this will look great on the kitchen wall. And the slate wall will also bring practical benefits, because it will be convenient to make lists of products and plans for the day, write down the best recipes and leave notes with errands for the household.
To make such a board with your own hands it's enough just to paint the sheet of plywood with slate paint
Idea 6. Vinyl stickers
If the walls in your kitchen are solid, and you want to often update their decor without spending a lot of money and energy on it, then your choice is vinyl stickers. They are glued without difficulty, they come off even easier and leave no trace of the old picture, and there are so many design variants of stickers that you will surely find something that is suitable for the interior of your kitchen.
- Vinyl stickers are sold in construction and stationery stores, shops for creativity and, of course, on Aliexpress.
Idea 7. Ceiling sockets
Ceiling sockets from polystyrene foam are beautiful and diverse, inexpensive, easy to glue and can be dyed, which means that they are ideal for decorating walls in the kitchen.
- If you paint the rosettes in the tone of the walls, you will create a wall effect with a relief.
- It is best to glue the sockets away from the stove and above the table top of the dining table (the appropriate height is at eye level). After all, polystyrene is quite easy to damage, and because of the many hollows and hollows it is difficult to clean.
- To decorate the wall of the kitchen with ceiling rosettes, you must first paint them with acrylic paint, make a composition on the floor, apply markings on the wall, and then glue them to the wall with glue for ceiling skirting boards, any universal glue or Velcro fasteners for Commander paintings.
Idea 8. Retro posters and posters
Real antique posters, agit-posters and posters can be searched on flea markets, on Ebay or Amazon. Or you can just buy modern imitations, because among them it is much easier to find suitable in terms of color and content options.
- The best way to create retro posters in frames. So they will look even more stylish and, moreover, do not get dirty from accidental splashes and touches with dirty hands.
Idea 9. Art painting
Want to create a unique kitchen decor and realize your painting talent? Then we suggest placing a bet on the artistic painting of the walls. All you need is acrylic paints, the idea of drawing and our master class, which will be useful both for beginners and advanced artists.
Master class here: How to paint the walls or decorate them with drawings
Idea 10. Interior letters
Interior letters and words can set a good mood in the house, inspire and turn a boring interior into a stylish and "talking".
- Words can be motivating, funny or just very enjoyable.
- Decorative words can be highlighted with light bulbs and play the role of a kitchen "night lamp" or sconce.
Wall letters can be bought in the store for creativity, interior benches, in online stores or made with their own hands from plywood or cardboard with a jigsaw, band saw or hand-held router. This video tutorial shows one of the ways to cut words out of plywood. Add only one tip: remember that the main thing in interior letters and words is their font. The more interesting it will be, the steeper your kitchen decoration will be. You can download pretty fonts for free on specialized resources.
Idea 11. Panel organizer
The panel organizer can decorate the walls of the kitchen and help you in everyday life, because you can leave on it all kinds of business cards, notes with errands, shopping lists, as well as photographs and postcards. There are three variants of the wall organizer: from cork (or even wine corks), from wood / plywood (then the notes will be attached to the buttons) or from a sheet of metal (with magnets fastening).
Here are some photo-ideas of wall-mounted panel organizers that you can do with your own hands.
Wall decoration made by own hands from the frame from IKEA and wine corks, planted on a thermo-adhesive
Wall decoration for kitchen from an artificially aged grater
Idea 12. Tablets and indexes
Another idea of the kitchen decor for lovers of retro, pop art and just unusual decor - the decoration of the wall with signs, signs and signs. Best of all, if they are "real", but decorative tablets will also work.