The design of the kitchen space includes the need to choose stylish, harmonious, comfortable and durable elements. When choosing countertops, many prefer wooden options, as they are ideal for creating a refined, original atmosphere. Such products are natural, very stylish and beautiful, amenable to rapid restoration.
Why not be afraid to choose a table top made of wood
A smooth, natural material with a natural structure is an excellent element of style, beauty and comfort. On the other hand, natural wood has a significant weight, and requires specialized, high-quality care.
Wood is afraid of moisture, high temperatures, varnish can crack, so many people think. But, experts point out that with adequate care the material will retain all its original properties and qualities over time.
All materials, even plastic, have the property of aging, but the tree ages beautifully, and most importantly, it lends itself to rapid restoration. And this means that the table top made of wood is the most optimal choice both from the standpoint of style and beauty, and from the standpoint of durability of exploitation.
Advantages and disadvantages
If you still have doubts about the choice of the wooden countertop, you should study its advantages:
- It is made of natural, environmentally friendly materials, which is an important factor in protecting the health of the whole family;
- The texture of wood is beautiful and diverse, which allows you to choose the optimal solution for interior decoration;
- From the tree you can do anything. Interior can be supplemented with exquisite options of wooden furniture. The countertops themselves can have a variety of shapes and sizes;
- The material is easily updated, which allows you to be sure of the durability of operation. After the restoration works, the table top will be better than the new;
- It is possible to perform a variety of versions of milling cutters on the edge of the countertop;
- There are exotic varieties of wood that have high resistance to moisture.
It should also be noted and possible shortcomings, so that you have the opportunity to make a competent and rational choice:
- Wooden products require more careful care;
- After a certain amount of time, restoration will be necessary;
- Wood is an expensive material.
Variants of color solutions in the interior
There are a lot of interior solutions that are really capable of creating an image of perfection and sophistication.
Kitchen in white with wooden tops
A smart, clean and fresh white color can be used in any style of kitchen interior.
Take into account also the properties that you will get, giving preference to the white style:
- This color can visually expand the space. Therefore, this color is considered an ideal solution for the design of small kitchens, as well as rooms with windows facing north;
- You can use only a white countertop that perfectly shades the brightness of other elements, but if all the decor elements are white, the perfect solution will be a top made of natural wood. At the same time, designers use variants of dark wood species, which allows creating an accent;
- White color is perfectly combined with different tones, which allows you to create truly original and non-standard variations of style;
- The most organic and relevant solution today is the combination of a white kitchen with a top made of natural wood.
Kitchen in gray + table top made of wood
Gray color only recently acquired relevance, and before that many refused to use it, because it was believed that the perception of such tones creates a kind of gloomy and monotonous atmosphere.
On the contrary, gray color is stable and neutral, it combines elegance and elegance. Realized in combination with a wooden top, it allows you to create a harmony of some elitism.
For gray color it is recommended to use wooden table-tops of light breeds. But, if the main color is too faint, use the aspect of contrast and get a darker countertop.
Saturated gray colors are perfectly combined with silver and gold decor elements, more faded tones can be perfectly combined with almost all tones and shades, which gives a wide field for creative realization.
Black kitchen interior with wooden top
Very popular today is the black interior, capable of creating an image of luxury, originality and style.
The positive properties include:
- The ability to balance all the options for color solutions in the kitchen space and to carry out the process of highlighting bright elements against the backdrop of a black base by the principle of contrast. So, if all elements of the kitchen are made in black, and the countertop is a natural tree covered with transparent varnish, an unsurpassed atmosphere of true harmony and originality is created;
- Through the black color creates an image of purity, comfort and aesthetics. In combination with wooden elements, you can create something unusual in a small Khrushchev kitchen;
- The combination of white and black tones visually expands the space;
- Monochrome interior of black tones and shades is unacceptable, as a frightening and gloomy atmosphere will be created. But, dark colors can perfectly dominate, especially if you have a large kitchen space, dark tones can create a truly extravagant atmosphere, in which the wooden table top harmoniously fits.
Beige interior in combination with a wooden table top
In fact, the wooden tabletop perfectly fits into any interior, but with bright tones we get a certain contrast, if you chose a beige version of the color of the design of the kitchen space, then in this case you need to carefully consider the shades.
Experienced designers recommend to exclude a too perfect combination of the color of the countertop and the facade of furniture. The table-top in such a situation should be either lighter or bright-dark. Everything depends on the lighting and the size of the room.
Beige color is recommended to combine with shades of brown. Therefore, try to use such options for interior solutions, especially if the room is not too spacious. If the room is spacious, then it is recommended to use contrasting shades of beige, and the combination of beige and white will also look great.
Kitchen in blue toned with wooden top
The blue color in the interior is most often used, as some accent. Monotone design in a dark blue color is not welcomed by designers, as it is believed that such design will be rather gloomy and will make the room dark and not even comfortable.
As for the combination of these tones in the interior with wooden elements, in particular with the table top, then your fantasy can have no boundaries. First, such a combination is not only acceptable, but also recommended. Secondly, it is possible to combine different colors of blue with different variants of wooden countertops.
When choosing a dark blue base color is better to give preference to the options of light worktops. If the blue of the main plan is softer, then the table top should be darker. This is not a sharp contrast will make the interior truly refined and magnificent.
Wooden surfaces can be perfectly integrated into almost any style, from classic to modern. Such a table top will look great in the elite style options, as well as with a simple decor, complemented by clear lines, here the natural tree will emphasize the refinement and originality of the overall plan.
How to care for the countertop made of natural wood?
- Carrying out the care of the wood surface, try to wipe solely along the fiber lines (along the pattern of the natural type). So, you will ensure the perfect removal of dirt grains (microscopic) from the pores of the tree.
- In the kitchen you need to maintain a certain microclimate. Take care that the air is not too wet, otherwise it may adversely affect the surface of the natural material. Take into account also that using a washing vacuum cleaner or a steam generator to clean the countertop is by no means possible. If you use a standard wet cleaning, after the procedure, the surface should be wiped with a dry cloth.
- Remember that when the direct rays of the sun hit the countertop made of natural wood can change its natural color. Accordingly, you need in the kitchen to use translucent curtains, maybe blinds, so that the rays are scattered and do not fall on the surface of the material. So, you can save the original color of the product for a considerable amount of time.
- The tree, under the influence of increased moisture - swells, but it also inherent to dry out. This means that it is important to select the right cleaning and cleaning agents for the surface. It will be necessary to abandon substances that contain solvents and alcohol in their composition, it is these substances that can "dry up" the wood, which will affect the appearance of the table top (the varnish coating also deteriorates). It is better to give preference to means with a neutral PH. An excellent solution is considered cleaning options with the addition of oil, silicone or wax;
- The material reacts to the effect of temperature changes. Try to avoid such an impact - steam, boiling water, a stream of hot air, all this can negatively affect the countertop. We recommend that you purchase specialized protective screens that can prevent not only the ingress of hot steam, but also splashes from the kitchen sink.
It is recommended to treat the wooden countertop with oil (options that are safe when in contact with food). It is also recommended to treat the whole surface with olive oil before the initial use and leave the table top for a day so that the oil is absorbed.
Wood can be periodically washed with water, but the use of metal brushes is excluded. Before thoroughly cleaning the work surface, use warm oil immediately, which penetrates the material deep enough, after which, clean with non-aggressive cleaning agents.
How to take care of a wooden table top video
Correct and step-by-step care for the wooden countertop.