Acrylic facades for the kitchen are very popular. Heat resistant, simple to clean and beautiful, they are increasingly used by designers. Let's try to understand what determines their popularity.
What are acrylic facades?
At first glance it may seem that the panels are made of plastic. This is not true. Thin panels MFD or chipboard are glued with special sheets of polymethacrylate, often called acrylic.MDF panels coated with acrylic.
This helps to ensure not only strength, important for furniture facades, but also broad design possibilities, as well as a characteristic glossy luster. MDF with acrylic coating is absolutely harmless, does not emit toxins when heated and with proper care will last for many years.
High-gloss acrylic panels are easy to clean, do not fade with time. In addition, the properties of acryline help him not to absorb dirt and grease.
Technology of manufacturing acrylic facades for the kitchen
There are two ways of manufacturing such facades: one-sided and two-sided. In the first case, the acrylic sheet is glued only to the outer part, leaving the inner untreated. In the second, both sides of MDF or chipboard are glued, providing the doors with the same appearance from the inside and out.
The coating is glued with a special glue (for example, Cosmofen or Akrifix), and then placed under the press. In this case, the sections are closed with a waterproof acrylic edge, which prevents peeling of the decorative layer. The thickness of this facade often does not exceed 16-18 millimeters.
More expensive option - solid acrylic panels up to four millimeters thick, edged with aluminum. Metal adds strength to them, comparable to chipboard, but they are much more whimsical in their care and are quite expensive.
Pros and cons of the kitchen with acrylic facades
In addition to the appearance and ease of installation, these facades have a number of advantages:
- Wear resistance. The strength of acrylic reliably protects it from damage from bumps and scratches. In addition, damaged acrylic panels can be reconstructed to the original appearance. With proper care, they will serve up to 20 years.
- Acrylic does not react to temperature changes and is resistant to heating up to 160 degrees. It does not deform upon water ingress, does not dim from sunlight.
- Fat, soot and dust are not absorbed into the surface, it can easily be cleaned with a simple detergent and a soft cloth. We recommend: Once every three to four months, treat facades with sprays that help maintain a glossy sheen, such as Weiss or Cosmofen.
- Large selection of design solutions. Acrylic panels are presented in a wide palette. In addition, you can decorate them with print or aerography, decoupage.
- Glossy structure due to reflective properties makes the premises lighter and more spacious.
- Acrylic panels, in contrast to plastic, Do not emit toxic impurities into the air when heated. Therefore, acrylic can be considered an environmentally friendly material.
However, there were also some shortcomings:
- Because of manufacturing technology acrylic facades are quite expensive. The cost of a solid acrylic facade can reach $ 600 per running meter, and acrylic coatings - $ 100. In this case, taking into account the quality, the price can be considered conditionally available: a long service life fully pays for the cost of manufacturing and installation.
- The glossy surface is very whimsical in handling. It does not scratch or chip, but any fingerprints and dust become much more noticeable. You will have to regularly wipe away stains and stains. Note: Special grease-repellent polishes will help prevent the problem.
- Strong shine. The minus is conditional, however, in many cases the glossy mirror structure of the acrylic facade begins to irritate many.
What is better to choose for the facades in the kitchen: acrylic or plastic?
As already mentioned above, acrylic is much more environmentally friendly than plastic. But is there only a difference in this? We offer a comparative table of two materials.
|Acrylic facades.||Plastic facades.|
|Gloss.||Explicitly expressed, with a mirror shine.||Compared with acrylic, the plastic is dimmer. There are matte options.|
|Resistance to temperatures.||Well tolerates heating to 160 degrees without the release of toxic impurities.||A good HPL or CPL plastic can withstand temperatures of up to 140 degrees, but cheap options start to release toxins already at 80 degrees, so they should not be placed near the stove.|
|Term of use.||With proper operation - up to 20 years.||In a couple of years, it can begin to fade from heating and direct sunlight.|
|The cost.||Quality acrylic will cost you quite expensive.||Affordable price.|
|Type of facade.||Only deaf.||Deaf and radiused.|
Let's sum up: Facades of acrylic are more durable and reliable, but the price is not encouraging. At the same time, plastic facades are more accessible, however, they are more whimsical in everyday life and they should not be placed near heat sources.
In what color to execute acrylic facades
Palette decoration of acrylic facades is extremely wide. Many colors and shades, the possibility of decorative design. We offer to look at the most popular among the designers options - perhaps you will find your ideal kitchen.
White acrylic kitchen - an excellent choice for small rooms. Due to the color and glossy texture, it reflects the light, visually increasing the rooms and making it lighter, more spacious. However, take into account that such facades are very moody in care - on white are visible all the dirt and droplets of fat, so you will often need to wash the set.
An interesting solution - black and white acrylic kitchen. The classic combination looks very bright thanks to the mirror shine. However, it is important to observe the balance: it is better if the colors are combined, rather than hammering each other.
If such a combination seems boring to you, dilute it with one more shade - it's better to choose bright colors, for example, pink, light green, blue.
Bright red now in a trend, however we recommend to be more careful with it. Aggressive tones quickly tire eyes, so monochrome design in this case - not the best choice. Dilute it with calmer, pastel shades - beige, gray, golden.
The same applies to yellow kitchens. However, everything depends on the chosen tone. Soft colors will make the kitchen fresh and lighter, but bright require a muffled edging.
Monochrome black kitchen - A bold, but very stylish solution. It is important to pay attention to the details: any inappropriate accessory, the slightest contamination - and the impression is spoiled.
Manufacturers of acrylic facades for kitchens
Acrylic panels are produced by dozens of manufacturers with very different pricing policies.
We offer you a TOP-3 producer, popular in Russia:
- Beautiful faceusing NIEMANN panels. Polish acrylic facades are one of the most famous. A wide choice of decorative design, a huge color palette and high quality. Price, however, appropriate - from $ 150 per running meter.
- Sidak Company, located in the Leningrad region, also does not appreciate the price tag - from $ 140 per meter. However, the factory goes through a complete production cycle: from the panel to the finished facade, which affects the quality.
- Prejudice - more budgetary option. Turkish facades will cost you an average of $ 90 per meter. Of course, you can find cheap acrylic facades. But be careful - most often behind a tempting price tag is a substandard coating or simple plastic, sometimes even not heat resistant.
Reviews of real owners of acrylic kitchens
If you refer to reviews of people who bought themselves acrylic facades in the kitchen, you can see one common thing - everyone admires their beauty and strength, but they emphasize capriciousness in their care. Most often this means the need for regular cleaning.
However, someone believes that it is enough to wipe the facade once a month, and to the minuses only costs.
And someone does not like the need to use special care products.
Sometimes, the shade changes depending on the lighting. So be careful with pastel tones - in the twilight they may seem dull.
However, in one review are unanimous - acrylic facades are reliable, durable and beautiful.
How to care for acrylic facades
As can be seen from the reviews, the main problem with acrylic facades is the care for them. How to properly care for the panels?
Now we will tell:
- Do not use aggressive abrasive detergents.
- Choosing what to wash the panel, stop on the most soft means - for example, the usual dishwashing detergent.
- Used lint-free soft cloths.
- Regularly wipe the surface so that fingerprints and dirt do not accumulate on it.
- Use a polish for the acrylic facades of the kitchen - it will greatly facilitate the care.
Let's sum up: With proper care, the acrylic facade is an excellent choice for decorating the kitchen. A beautiful, eco-friendly and durable set will become a real decoration of the room. Of the minuses, we note a high price - but given the durability of such furniture, it is fully justified.
Kitchens with acrylic facades photo examples