Proper lighting is one of the components of the spectacular design of any room. It is especially important in the kitchen, where the correct distribution of the light flux turns the cooking into a pleasant and comfortable process. All that is needed is a design and calculation of lighting. One of the most interesting options in modern interiors, which you can do yourself, is LED strip lighting.
LEDs are special semiconductors that emit light when passing electrical energy. LEDs can have a different chemical composition, which is why the brightness of the light generated by it is different. There is another nuance - the installation of LED backlighting is never conducted directly, because this way the tape can overheat and break. A prerequisite for connecting LEDs is the presence of a stabilizer.
Advantages of LED lighting
LED backlighting is a number of obvious advantages:
- Resistance to mechanical external damage;
- Longevity - a kitchen tape of illumination is capable to work 14 and more years even at work more than 15 hours per day;
- A variety of colors - the lighting in the kitchen under the cabinets can be made in white, red and orange, green and blue, purple and yellow. You can also choose LEDs that work in the infrared and ultraviolet spectrum;
- Excellent brightness of lighting, and the device does not require time for warming up;
- Availability in the price (due to distribution and popularization);
- Possibility to use a tape with different radiation angle;
- Ecological compatibility;
- Low temperature of the room.
Ways and places for interior lighting in the kitchen
The number of crystals directly affects the number of colors in the tape. In general, LED strips can provide 15 million shades - if they connect crystals of different brightness.
You can make LED backlighting for the following purposes:
- Combined lighting for zoning, allocation of cabinets, niches;
- Illumination of paintings or other decorative elements of the interior;
- The illumination of the kitchen apron, especially the highlight, looks, if the apron is made of glass;
- Illumination inside drawers and cabinets;
- Isolation of stained glass or shelves from transparent glass;
- By setting the lighting at the bottom of the bedside tables, that is, under the cabinets, you can create the effect of "soaring furniture";
- Lighting of several levels of the ceiling;
- Lighting bar bar LED-backlight creates the atmosphere and style of this bar.
The installation of LEDs of the warm spectrum is made for classical interiors, and in a high-tech style it will be more appropriate for cold light.
Choosing the right LED strip - classification and comparison
Most often, LED lighting is built from SMD-LEDs. They are classified according to a number of characteristics:
- The number of crystals is from 1 to 4;
- Type of glow - full color or monochrome;
- Dimensions - in the range of 1.06x0.8 to 5.0x5.0 mm.
Before you buy an LED strip, you need to decide what type of lighting you want to do. Here are the following recommendations:
- SMD 50x50 ribbon with three-crystal LEDs is perfect for lighting working and dining areas and can provide uniform bright light.
- For decorative illumination, a single-chip SMD 35x28 tape is suitable.
LED strip (LED) is a series of small LEDs located within the same plane. It can also have several varieties depending on the density of the LEDs:
- 30 pcs / meter;
- 60 pcs / meter;
- 120 pcs / meter;
- 240 pcs / meter.
The amount of LEDs depends on the power consumption and the brightness level of the generated lighting.
The tapes are divided into groups and by the degree of moisture protection:
- IP20 - not suitable for the kitchen, because it does not withstand high humidity;
- IP65 - medium moisture protection level, can be used in the kitchen;
- IP68 - full moisture resistance - this tape can illuminate even the pool.
How to choose a power supply
The power supplies are of different power, and hence the size. We need to determine the best option, so that the power of the transformer is sufficient with a margin, but at the same time, so that it is not too large.
Calculate the optimum power of the power supply for five-meter tape SMD 5050 with a power of 12 W can be done according to the following principle:
12 W multiply by 5 m (the length of the tape), total out 60 watts. But since we need a stock, we also take into account the coefficient equal to 1,25 - it turns out 1,25 × 60 = 75, therefore, we need to buy a transformer for 75 volts.
How to illuminate the LED worktop, dining area
For the working area, a device with an average degree of moisture protection is suitable - it has a special protective layer, which protects against vapors and dirt, water and other liquids. This means that if you need wet cleaning, you can clean the cabinets with the lamps.
Mounting the tape to the table means attaching a special profile of aluminum. It is necessary for hiding wires and giving aesthetic light. You can also make the lighting and self-adhesive tapes. By the way, by installing additional devices you can create a backlight that will change the brightness and / or color.
Advice! For the desktop, the warm white color of the LED ribbon is optimal, as it will not change the natural colors of the food.
You can make additional lighting from the LED tapes in the work area. Here, also, structures with high protection against moisture are needed. The tapes here are installed with double-sided tape. You can use several tapes, which will create an expressive decorative effect.
What we need for installation
Self-assembly of LED lighting will require the use of the following tools and accessories:
- Actually the kit: a tape reel (12W), an electric cable with a cross-section of 0.74 mm2;
- Transformer - 12W power supply and dimmer with remote control (if any);
- Припой канифолью;
- Soldering iron;
- Double sided tape;
- Insulating tape (or heat shrink tubing with a building hair dryer);
- PVC corner and or aluminum profile for LED fastening - if necessary;
- Drill - if necessary;
- Electrical mounting brackets - if necessary.
We make the installation
So, all the tools and materials are ready, you can start installing the diode illumination yourself.
The installation is carried out in the following order:
- In the coil, the tape is usually 5 m long. Most likely, you need less, so cut off the excess. The desired length is measured by a tape measure and cut in a strictly defined place, after which the extreme contacts should be carefully uncovered from the silicone coating by about 1.5 cm.
- To the contacts solder 2 cables (preferably) or connect them with the help of connectors (not recommended).
- Then the insulation (tape or tube) is performed. To insulate the wires with a shrink tube, you need to cut off a small piece of 2 cm in length, put the wire in a place of soldering and fix it with a construction hair dryer. What to choose - a tape or a tube - you decide, but it is better to use a tube, since it is more reliable and looks better.
- At the corner or profile attach the adhesive tape from the outside, and from the opposite part fix the tape after removing the protective film.
- A transformer must always be mounted near the backlight. This place needs to be thought in advance. To it from the side with low voltage soldered wires of the cut off tape are soldered. On the opposite side, a plug with an electric cable is attached. LED strip is attached to a pre-cleaned and degreased surface.
Advice! To stick a tape it is even better not to press it immediately, but first just gently stick the entire tape, and then, if necessary, trim.
- The wires are connected in parallel and output to the power supply unit.
- Undoubtedly, a plastic box for wires is installed, where the wire is fixed with electrical mounting brackets.
- And then connect the dimmer, that is, the switch and the final installation of the power supply. Dimmer and amplifiers are required if you plan to change the brightness of the backlight during the period of operation. Mount these devices together with the power supply.
Well, that's all, the installation of LED tape in the kitchen is ready.