In fact, only modern overall new buildings can please their owners with the scale of the premises and capacious kitchens including. In the houses of the old foundation, the "Khrushchevs", the standard serial houses of 1950-2000. in most cases this room has very modest dimensions up to 10 sq. m. m, and often even 4 or 5 square meters. m. The height of the ceilings in these houses is usually 2.4 - 2.75 m. The owners of "steel" were more lucky - the kitchens in them have an area of up to 15 square meters. m and a height of up to 3.5 m.
In addition, such houses often have their own design features. Especially specific houses are old pre-revolutionary buildings, in which often partitions and beams are made of wood and need strengthening, and "Khrushchev", with their thin walls of 40 mm, poor hydro, heat, sound insulation and gas columns.
Therefore, the repair of a small kitchen is not obvious in a new building, it is obvious that it is not easy to make a beautiful design, but also if necessary to insulate, renew, replace, reschedule, move, demolish, erect ... By the way, the opinion that the repair of a small kitchen - not always true. After all, often to save space, you need to use non-standard ideas and customized solutions "on order". The best way to save money in this case is to do most of the work yourself.
But do not be scared ahead of time and do not lose enthusiasm, because you have a big, sometimes nervous and, nevertheless, very interesting work.
Let you be inspired by large windows or a beautiful view from them, the presence of a loggia, a non-standard niche, the location of the kitchen on the sunny side or simply that this is your favorite home.
What can and should be done during the repair process?
In the process of overhaul or cosmetic repair of a small kitchen, you can / need:
- Strengthen, align and trim the partitions;
- To demolish and / or erect walls;
- Install the sliding doors;
- Align and re-trim the floor and ceiling;
- Align window openings, expand / narrow /to convert sills into the table-top, insert new windows, if they do not already exist;
- Strengthen, insulate, soundproof walls and floor if necessary;
- Carry out anew electrical wiring;
- Replace the batteries;
- Replace / move / hide / play in the interior of all communications: old pipes, gas pipeline, gas column, ventilation box.
At the same time, the main task in repairing a small kitchen is to save and optimize its space as much as possible.
To make repairs in a small kitchen, you need to go through the steps in the following sequence:
- Generation of ideas, drafting, planning;
- Selection and purchase of construction / finishing materials;
- Dismantling of old coatings from walls, ceiling and floor;
- Remodeling with demolition / erection of walls / creating an arch, etc .;
- Preparatory work: leveling the floor (creating a new screed), installing electrical wiring, sewer and water pipes, leveling the walls with plaster, priming the ceiling and walls;
- Finishing - ceiling decoration, creation of kitchen apron, wallpapering of walls with wallpaper, installation of switches and sockets, installation of floor covering.
- Furniture assembly and the installation of plumbing fixtures and household appliances.
Repair of floors
- First, you need to level the floor, it is better to do it with a thin layer of screed. Keep in mind that a thick and heavy layer of cement-sand lining can withstand not every floor in a typical house. How to effectively level the floor in a small and low kitchen with a minimum thickness of the screed, see in this video by Alexei Zemskov:
- On the floor you can put: ceramic tile, ceramic granite, stone, commercial / semi-commercial linoleum and moisture resistant laminate;
- If the area of the room exceeds 7 square meters. meters or repair is made in a combined space, it is possible to divide the dining and working areas or zones of cuisine and rest. To do this, you need to make a combined floor covering, combining different materials or one material from different collections.
In the process of repair, old walls often need to be previously leveled. How can this be done by saving as much as possible centimeters and even millimeters of a small kitchen?
- The simplest and most effective method is alignment by lighthouses, but then the layer of plaster can be too thick. Therefore, the differences up to 60 mm in the partitions should be leveled with several layers of starting putty.
If the wall acts locally in one place, but as a whole it is straight, then in order to save costs and precious centimeters, you can simply repulse the puncher with a protrusion and then trim the wall with a putty.
- You can decorate the walls with thin sheets of plasterboard. If you want to insulate and soundproof the kitchen, re-lay and hide communications, then the sheets of drywall should be installed on the frame, however, so you will significantly reduce the kitchen. Therefore, in order to save space, it is better to put GKL on the glue, after having cleaned and primed the walls. Perhaps, this method can be called optimal;
- If you decide to demolish and erect walls from concrete, then prepare for tedious, noisy and very dusty work, preferably with at least 2 assistants, and better entrust this part of the work to a repair team. How to do it, see in the video:
- But to build walls from gypsum cardboard on a metal skeleton it is possible and the hands;
- If you live in the house of the old fund or "Khrushchev", you need to find out what the partitions in the apartment are made of. Walls of wood need not just align, but strengthen with metal corners and trim with reinforcing mesh;
- As for the finish, the kitchen is most often used washable vinyl wallpaper on a non-woven base, but you can also paint the walls with water-based paint for rooms with high humidity;
- For design of apron most choose ceramic tiles, mosaics or glass panels - wear-resistant and durable materials with increased resistance to moisture and the possibility of easy washing.
The wallpaper for a small kitchen is desirable light colors, but if you want to add color and brightness to the interior, do not abandon this idea and decorate only one wall with colored or wallpaper, thus highlighting the zone of food intake.
Repair of the ceiling
Repair in a small kitchen necessarily includes the finishing of the ceiling, taking into account its height and dimensions.
- If your apartment has a height of more than 2.7 m, then in principle, you can choose any false ceiling: gypsum plasterboard, tension, rack, wagon. In addition, you can additionally insulate and soundproof ceiling ceilings. Let's admit even a small decor - stucco rosette, ceiling moldings and decorative beams, such as in this design project, which was realized in a two-room apartment in Volgograd:
- If the ceilings are not high, but still need a capital equalization, and neighbors from the top periodically pour the kitchen, then in this case the most optimal option - stretch ceiling, which are not afraid of flooding and when properly operated will last up to 20 years. And most importantly - they are easily and quickly installed, while "eat" the minimum height;
- Repairing the ceiling, you can in a new way wiring and install lamps, for example, point lights in the work area, and hang a beautiful chandelier over the table;
- Whatever ceiling you have installed, do not forget to remove the old finish and primer the foundation with a deep penetration antifungal primer. And if the mold has already arisen - get rid of it immediately.
See also: How to equip the kitchen area of 6 square meters. meters.
How to get permission to redevelop?
The path to a beautiful kitchen with a redesign is through the BTI, housing inspectorate or OSBB, treat this issue with understanding, be patient and go through the following steps:
- We go to BTI for the technical passport of your apartment;
- In the received technical passport draw a sketch of redevelopment and return it for approval to the city housing inspection. Keep in mind that bearing walls can not be demolished;
- Then we wait for the official permission and we begin repair.
There is a second way to quickly and easily decide on the option of redevelopment. In the housing inspectorate and on the Internet there are catalogs of standard projects in which you can find a suitable and authorized scheme for the reorganization of apartments for a home of any series. In this case, a work permit is not required. However, after the completion of the repair, the housing inspection must check and approve the results of the redevelopment.
Repair with association with a living room or balcony on the example of 3 apartments
Repair in a small kitchen often involves a large-scale redevelopment with the demolition of the wall between the living room and the kitchen and the subsequent zoning of the room to create a studio apartment.
Here is an example of a successful conversion, repair and design of a small apartment with a combined kitchen and living room. The author of the project is a young designer Maria Dadiani.
And here is an example of uniting a narrow kitchen with a living room in the house of an old foundation with a ceiling height of 2.7 m in St. Petersburg.
Combining with a balcony is also a great way to increase the kitchen by a couple of square meters, you will get a kitchen, as if with a bay window. But this redevelopment is not allowed in all houses. Here's how to convert a fairly large kitchen with a square footage of 12 square meters. m with an adjacent semicircular loggia of 2.5 square meters. m and a parallel arrangement of furniture.
Repair and improvement is not yet completed, but it is already clear that the kitchen will be very functional and thoughtful.
Transfer of batteries to the balcony is prohibited, so the owners have installed in this area a warm floor.
Pay attention to the successful location of the refrigerator - it is close to both the working and the dining area.
See material on the topic: Kitchen 7 sq. M. meters for 9 steps.
Repair with changing wall and entrance
If you do not want to completely demolish the walls, but the idea of uniting the kitchen and living room you like, then you can:
- To demolish the old partition and install a new one in another place, of a different size and kind, from plasterboard on a metal framework of profiles or channels;
- Replace the usual doorway with an arch;
- Instead of a conventional swing door, install a sliding system.
Let's start in order and consider an example of a very successful unification of a small kitchen (10 sq. M.) From the living room, which is separated by a small partition - a bar made of plasterboard. The owners of this bright apartment in Scandinavian style live in Belarus.
Combining the two rooms, the entrance to the kitchen can simply be moved and closed with a sliding door like a sliding door wardrobe, that is, on the guide profiles installed on the top and bottom. As Elizabeth and Vitaly did in their light kitchen in the style of Provence, with a mere 5.7 square meters. m.
There is another way to visually increase the kitchen - by creating an arch. The arched opening instead of the door looks very cool in the kitchens in the classical style, country, cheby chic, provence. Here is an example of repairing a small kitchen with a wide arch, St. Petersburg.
Repair with optimization of space: a niche, a window sill, a gas column and communications
The kitchen can be enlarged not only at the expense of the living room, but also at the expense of the adjacent bathroom or hallway, creating a niche of plasterboard for a refrigerator or a cupboard with a built-in oven and microwave. Here is an example of a small combined kitchen in a conventional hruschevka with a niche for a refrigerator.
There is another idea how you can optimize the kitchen space to the maximum in the process of repairing a small kitchen, if its footage is less than 6 square meters. meters. The window sill can be used as a cutting table - for this it is replaced with a countertop, and a small locker is placed near the radiator. It is clear that in this case the furniture will have to be made by yourself or ordered by an individual project. In place of the window sill, you can also make a sink - for this, under it you will have to provide a box in which communications will disappear. An example of such an alteration look at the photo below.
And how do you make repairs in the kitchen with a gas column and pipes? How to improve the interior with communications?
Keep in mind that:
- You can not transfer a column from the kitchen to the bathroom, but vice versa - you can, but only after agreeing with the gas specialists;
- You can move the column to the hallway, but not in every case, since the transfer conditions must meet certain requirements. It is easiest to coordinate the transfer of the water heater to a distance of up to 1.5 meters from the "native" place;
- It is also undesirable to hide gas equipment in the cabinet, because there must be space around the column filled with air. Often, the owners "build" a column in a cabinet without a bottom and top, as well as with indentations from the front and sides. Inside such a cabinet is sheathed / treated with fireproof materials.
If you do not feel like going to the authorities and you need to do repairs, then the best solution is to accept and write all the communications into the interior or hide what you can hide, but what remains in the form of zaderkorirovat or simply update.
Here is an interesting example of how gas and water pipes with gas water heater can harmoniously fit into the usual small kitchen.
And here are the interiors of kitchens with a gas column and pipes.
See also: Design and repair of kitchen with gas column.
But the window between the bathroom and the kitchen is much easier to beat. The frame needs to be painted, and the glass replaced, the main thing is to choose the appropriate colors and textures and then it will easily fit into the interior, such as in this kitchen in the style of Provence. Designer: Elena Evteeva, Design Bureau "Remarh".
We design the future kitchen in 3D - how to plan the design for a small kitchen
Repair of a small kitchen should begin with the drafting. Generally speaking, for the visual increase of space, one needs to use ideas that ensure color play and expansion of areas, and functionality is ensured by a harmonious arrangement of furniture.
That's why the repair in a small kitchen does not begin until all the nuances and trivialities have been clarified on paper, and better in 3D visualization programs.
Since we decided to do all repair work (or almost everything) with our own hands, we will compose the design project ourselves. How can I do that? Here are free programs in which you can create a photorealistic project, while the principle of working in them is intuitively clear - even a beginner will understand:
- Planner 5D;
- Autodesk Homestyler;
- Sweet Home 3D;
- Roomle (English-speaking).
So, repair of a small kitchen with their own hands is planned in accordance with the following requirements:
- The layout of furniture and the decoration of a small kitchen are performed at one stage. It is absolutely necessary to provide for the place of installation of the slab and the sink, which are tied to communications.
- The gas stove should be located within the gas hose of standard dimensions (it is not desirable to extend it). In the case of an electric stove, also do not extend the electrical cable, as it can overheat and not withstand increased loads.
- When shifting the shell, care must be taken to hide the newly made pipeline.
- The stove and the sink are not located nearby - splashes of water should not get on the heated frying surface. So this convenience for the hostess can turn into a breakdown of technology.
- The stove with gas burners should be located at least 30 cm from the window - this will not allow an accidental draft to blow out the fire.
- The length of the curtains is also taken into account - this is important for ensuring fire safety.
- When planning repairs in a small kitchen, also do not block the space above the hob with cabinets - it is better to use this area for hood placement, especially if it is a kitchen-living room.
What colors will be appropriate in a modest room?
- The classic color solution in bright colors visually increases the space and perfectly reflects the light. White color will always be relevant, but the basis can be any pastel shade - gray, blue, pale pink, beige.
White platbands and skirting boards are a great idea! After all, they are suitable for any style, any walls, floors and ceilings in any color scheme.
- You can make repairs in a small kitchen and in bright colors - in this case the accent will be the facades of furniture, an apron or one wall, but the prevailing color in the decoration / furniture should still be light.
Take a look at examples of design projects for kitchens of 5.6.7 square meters. meters, some of them have been realized, and some are not, nevertheless, perhaps they will inspire you when creating your own kitchen interior design.
Famous in the network project of St. Petersburg designer Elzhbeta Chegarova, implemented in Moscow in the usual Khrushchev.
3-D project of a small kitchen in beige color by designers Anna and Dmitry Rimse.
A small white kitchen with violet accents in decor and textiles, which if desired can easily be changed and then the entire interior will change.
Here is an example of a monochrome white small kitchen. The refrigerator in this kitchen is hidden behind the cupboard with a built-in oven and microwave.
Projects of small kitchens in the classical style.
Modern small kitchens.
We hope that the ideas and tips from this article really helped you. We wish you patience and creative inspiration on this complex but interesting journey from dream to reality.