Finishing plastic panels allows you to get an aesthetic ceiling coating that will not only be beautiful, but also easy to care for - while the cost of its installation is minimal. What are the benefits of plastic panels on the ceiling of the kitchen? Let's consider their main advantages in "kitchen" conditions.
Advantages of PVC panels in the kitchen
First, such a finish is incredibly easy to care for. To clean it will not need special substances - soiling and soot settling on the kitchen ceiling, easy to clean. Restrictions on the choice of cleaning products exist only for glossy and mirror surfaces - here you can not use abrasives.
Secondly, PVC panels will survive even the most powerful flooding - and dry themselves without damage, without requiring any intervention from you. To remove a ceiling from plastic it is necessary only in the event that the quantity of water which has got to your apartment, is very great. It is thanks to the moisture resistance of the material that it is most often used for the lining of the ceiling in the bathroom and on the balcony. Well, in the kitchen, plastic paneling is especially important if you are often flooded from above.
Thirdly, the ceiling panels in the kitchen help to hide communications (wires and pipes).
Fourth - a significant plus of this type of suspended ceilings is that they do not require a perfectly flat ceiling and hide even its significant defects.
It is worth noting and such advantages of PVC-ceilings as:
- Stability and stability of shape even in the case of sharp temperature changes;
- The possibility of trouble-free installation of attractive spot lights in any place of coverage;
- Repair and installation of plastic ceilings can be performed on their own. For this purpose, a frame is assembled, and plastic panels are attached to it from above. It is not necessary to create an ideally flat surface of the base;
- This finish allows additional sound insulation by incorporating appropriate materials into the frame;
- Plastic ceilings are ecologically safe and do not have an extraneous smell, than favorably differ from tension constructions;
- Affordable price.
From the disadvantages of PVC-ceilings can only be noted that the design refers to the hinged, and therefore will slightly reduce the overall height of the ceiling.
Choose a design
Decorating with plastic panels is also a lot of different design solutions. Such a ceiling can become mirror or translucent, imitating ceramics, bamboo, metal or marble, "under the tree" or even "under the skin".
Of course, when choosing the texture and color, the overall stylistic solution of the room is crucial, but the dark ceiling made of plastic is not recommended. Traditionally, pastel colors, shades of blue and beige are used. By the way, light colors will also allow you to visually expand the space.
White plastic will be very similar to a more noble white wooden lining and fit into the interior of any style and color.
Matte panels will look better in the kitchen, and gloss is more appropriate in the bathroom.
What to look for in the store
When you have decided on the design, you need to move on to the issue of purchasing the material. It is important that you purchase quality plastic panels, and for this you need to consider the following recommendations:
- Plastic sheets and their edges must necessarily be even - even the slightest roughness in the joint area will lead to the fact that the integrity of the suspended structure will be violated;
- Each of the PVC panels should be evenly colored, without any inclusions. If the design provides for color transitions within a single canvas, then it should be uniform and smooth;
- The panels should also not be too thin and soft.
- To check the quality of the plastic with force, squeeze the panel with two fingers and bend its corner several times - the quality panel should not crack and even more break, only a slight deformation is permissible.
Ceiling panels made of PVC are lighter and more fragile than wall panels, and therefore transportation and installation should be done with great care.
We calculate the consumption of materials: panels, skirting boards, profiles and fasteners
The thickness of PVC panels is usually 5-10 mm, width 250-500 mm, and the length varies from 2.7 m (standard) to 3 m. The ceiling plinths have a three-meter length.
To calculate the plastic panels, first determine the ceiling area, and then divide this number into the area of one panel (indicated on the package). Add to the received figure 15% of stock for cuts and round up this data in the big party.
On the perimeter of the kitchen, it is necessary to install the guide profiles UD (rigid), and the supporting cross-section of the carcass should be light, that is CD.
Count the number of profiles for the production of the crate. To do this, draw a diagram of your ceiling on a sheet in a cage. Now mark the profiles that will be installed across the room in parallel to each other. The distance between them should be about 60 cm. Calculate how many profiles will be required taking into account those that will be installed around the perimeter of the kitchen. Calculate the required number of dowels (for fixing the profiles) and self-tapping screws (for fixing the panels) at the rate of: 1 dowel per 50 cm profile and 1 self-tapping screw for 50 cm length of the PVC panel. The lining can be made of wooden beams, then 6 mm staples are used instead of screws. But keep in mind that the wooden frame will not last as long as a metal frame.
To calculate the required number and length of the skirting boards, divide the perimeter of the ceiling by 3 (since the length of the skirting board is 3 meters), and then round this figure up to a multiple of three.
What will be required for the work - the necessary tools and components
We will need proper PVC panels of standard dimensions (5-8 mm thick, 6 meters long, 25 cm wide) and the chosen design. Also necessary:
- Profiles for framing;
- Baguette of PVC;
- Type L profile;
- Mounting angle;
- Wooden slats with a cross section of about 40x20 or 50x25 mm, or metal profiles for fixing HA systems;
- Metal fastening P-type, which is used in gypsum plasterboard ceilings.
As for the tool and fasteners, the repair requires the following:
- Screws, plastic dowels;
- Metal staples and stapler;
- Screwdriver / drill;
- A hammer;
- Scissors for metal or hacksaw for wood (depending on what material is used to create the frame);
- Pencil / marker.
Do not forget that the plastic panels are made in the kitchen, that is, in a place with high humidity. So that you do not have to do repairs here often, additionally treat the wooden crate with a protective solution that increases the resistance of wood to moisture. If this is not done, then very soon PVC will "lead".
Before you hang plastic panels on the kitchen ceiling, you need to prepare the base. Before fixing the frame from the main ceiling, putty and plaster (not completely, but only flaking fragments) are knocked off.
Then proceed to create a framework for plastic panels. For this you need:
- Mark the location of the bottom of the frame - it uses a tubular water level.
- In case you use a metal frame, then at first to the wall screw UD-profiles. Between the bottom of the carcass and the ceiling (base) should be at least 25 mm.
- After installation of UD-profiles, the main ones are assembled - from metal or wood. They are fixed directly to the ceiling with the help of U-shaped metal fixtures. Between the fasteners must be kept a distance of less than 70 cm. The smaller the step being set, the more reliable and stiff the whole structure will be. Self-tapping screws are used to fix wooden beams, and metal profiles are attached using "fleas".
Fastening of plastic
To begin with, PVC sheets are cut off - so that their length is less than the distance between the walls (in length) by 5 mm.
The work needs to start from the window. To the established profiles, you need to fix the fixing straps, while the last mounting bracket is mounted on the opposite wall to the wall and at the last turn.
Then into the grooves of the fixing bars we put in the plinths, which were previously trimmed to the desired length.
The first panel is pushed into the recess between the skirting board and the fixing strap, aligned and fixed with screws with a wide bonnet. Then each next panel is fastened to the groove of the previous panel and is also screwed onto the frame by screws.
A heating pipe can pass through the ceiling. To get around them, in the plastic panels are cut holes of the desired diameter. And do not forget that near the pipes the PVC trim can be shattered.
The last piece of PVC before fixing is necessarily cut along along the mounting edge to the desired width and inserted into the notch between the bar and the profile, and then into the groove of the penultimate panel.
Now it remains only to install the last plinth and repair the ceiling in the kitchen with the use of plastic panels can be considered complete.